Absinthe recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Re: Absinthe recipe

Postby Acrolein » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:45 am

kayabunga wrote:One person on this site had stated that they use hyssop in both the maceration and the coloring process . . . "Dick's" recipe calls for it in the maceration whereas Pontarlier calls for it in the coloring . . . anyone like to give their two cents on this? Aside from the seizure causing posibilites (again, I am SURE this is in high dosages only), it is also known in ancient scriptures as the ‘holy herb’. “"Purge me with hyssop," the Bible records, "and I will be clean." Hyssop has been used for millennia as a holy herb, consecrated for cleaning holy places. It has also been considered an aphrodisiac when combined with ginger, thyme and pepper. (thought you’d all like that little tidbit of info. :D) So, hyssop in BOTH maceration and coloring or what?

I have seen other recipes that call for Calamus/sweet rush in the maceration . . . Walt Whitman wrote 39 poems about this herb in "Leave of Grass" and the ancient Chinese and Indian philosophies tout this herb as being a "rejuvenator of the brain and nervous systems" . . . anyone use this in their mix? Just wondering.

I know most of you have posted that you only macerate for 12-24 hours (at 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit) prior to distillation. "Dick's" recipe recommends 2-3 days (but that could be due to the VAT of macerate in which they are making). I did read a post on this thread that said to macerate 7-10 days without heat . . . other places on the internet said anywhere from 2 weeks to just shy of 2 months! Thanks to you, I know that I just have to kind of 'wait and see' . . . take a small amount, slowly add pure, chilled water and look for louching, right? One idea I had was to steep the fennel, anise, and any other herbs that I decide to add to the original maceration for a couple of weeks and THEN add the Artemisia absinthium a day or so right before distillation . . . what do you think?

I've always used Dale Pendell's Swiss style http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/absinthe/absinthe_recipe1.shtml which calls for both hyssop and calamus. I use a handle of cheap vodka (filtered with charcoal) instead of pure alcohol. I've cut the maceration time in half and it was still good but inferior.

There's still much speculation about the effects of absinthe or if there are any. I think there's a mild effect but homemade absinthe has a greater thujone level than American store bought. There certainly are other potentially active herbs in the mix and calamus is one of the most interesting as it contains beta-asarone. While not itself illegal, beta-asarone is a mild stimulant/hallucinogen and a precursor used by various chemical entrepreneurs to make less reputable products. Thus the FDA heartily encourages most stores not stock/sell the asarone-free varieties. Does calamus add to the absinthe magic? What happens to beta-asarone when you distill it? No idea, but it adds some lovely depth to the flavor. There are numerous other plants in absinthe that are suspected of having some psychedelic effect (hyssop included I think) but none are more dangerous than ethanol.
Acrolein
Novice

Postby Hammck » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:28 am

by kiwistiller » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:14 pm

sbeghan, do you have an NZ source for pontica and archangelica? Gary.Angie and I have been scouring around for them (pontica mostly) but are not doing very well...

Looking for that myself, came across this site today. Now it's spring, time to plant..!
http://www.marshwoodgardens.co.nz/view_ ... =ARTGM4GW1

About to order
“There he goes. One of God’s own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
-- Hunter S Thompson
Hammck
Novice

Postby astronomical » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:35 pm

I've been growing my wormwood for years. Last year it grew 6 feet tall and flowered. Does anyone have experience using the flowers in the recipe (little yellow "buds"). I thought they had a great smell and I enjoyed them in my spirit. They didnt flourish so well this year but I'd expect them to grow abnormally tall again this coming summer. As for all this "drug" garbage, i've always thought the herbs wre supposed to combine into a perfect storm. Wormwood alone wouldn't do much, but, alltogether there is definately more happening than just alcohol. I grow my hyssop, lemon balm, anise, etc etc. I still don't always have a great louche and I'm considering using the blanc like backset in my next run. :thumbup:
astronomical
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Prole » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:15 pm

You should harvest your wormwood when the flowers are just beginning to turn yellow or the seeds may discolor your distillate. It sounds like you're on the right track. As for the louche, I don't know your recipe but you might want to use more anise and fennel. Adding water is vital as anise oils are hydrophobic. You should have at least half as much water as macerate and probably more. If your louche is still weak, clean out your pot and throw in back in with your collected tails, water and recook it.
Prole
Novice

Postby astronomical » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:35 am

i dislike anise and fennel and often use little to none.... I guess my spirit is often more and Eau De Absinthium.... Ill post some pics of the buggers tomorrow.. They are quite large..

As far as harvesting, I aim for silverleaf. Sparrows swoop down and start stealing leaves when its optimal. It's one of those cool things in nature. I don't get flowers every year, I don't think thats normal. Perhaps my plants just hadn't fully matured yet. Well see if they flower again this year. IM not worried about color because I distill after masceration. I often keep my absinthe clear. I dont give a flying fuck if its green or not :)
astronomical
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby astronomical » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:05 pm

IMAG0478.jpg
Wormwood about 5' tall
IMAG0479.jpg
2 big plants and a small offshoot that I replanted this year...
astronomical
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby johnny108 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:41 am

Just a quick note for the maceration stage: do NOT use plastic at this point! Oxygen will get into the batch, and make the herbs stale- this "stale" flavor will be noticable in the final absinthe- NOT GOOD!
(I soak 50 grams of anise seed, 50 grams sweet fennel, 25grams wormwood, 10grams star anise, 3.5 grams coriander in 2 litres of 40%abv neutral for 2+days, then redistill it (on the solids) into just about 1 liter of finished spirit. Then color it with about 5ml (not grams) of dried mint leaves.- yummy).
johnny108
Bootlegger

Postby sparky marky » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:51 am

johnny108 wrote:Just a quick note for the maceration stage: do NOT use plastic at this point! Oxygen will get into the batch, and make the herbs stale- this "stale" flavor will be noticable in the final absinthe- NOT GOOD!
(I soak 50 grams of anise seed, 50 grams sweet fennel, 25grams wormwood, 10grams star anise, 3.5 grams coriander in 2 litres of 40%abv neutral for 2+days, then redistill it (on the solids) into just about 1 liter of finished spirit. Then color it with about 5ml (not grams) of dried mint leaves.- yummy).

I think most people in the forum try to avoid plastic touching alcohol over 20%abv at ANY stage of any distillation process. it should not be specific to absinthe maceration, it's just safe stillin :thumbup:
2" x 2 meter VM
Simple liebig pot still head
82 liter SS cask boiler
sparky marky
Swill Maker

Postby marco » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:31 am

I refined absynt yesterday, alcohol by me, plants by my wife! My wife really does't like sweet anise, so we used fennel seed and star anise only.

I macerated and re-distilled with the whole plants in the pot, obtaining a really fine pale yellow spirit 60% abv . Now I try making it a little green with melissa and mint... anyway after a tasting as it is, seems really good.

I noticed some secondary effect indeed! It' seem s to be very digestive! :D ( I knew about Absynt as an ingredient in Pelincovac, a croatian bitter)

I believe allucinations may occurr if you abuse of every 60% ABV liquor sweetened, and lightly toxic, as whatever herbs bitter is!

If you want to get high, even a Pint of iced Jaeger mixed half and half with 90% spirit and sugar, could do the job! :crazy:
marco
Novice

Previous

Return to Recipe Development