dark rye crispbread

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

suburban hillbilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

dark rye crispbread

Post by suburban hillbilly »

Hin Guys
After my first successful all bran my brain started itching. I liked the simplicity of this recipe so gave it a try using a different flavour ingredient.
Instead of all bran I opted for morrisons own in house brand dark rye crispbread (branded version is ryvita in the uk) The pack contained 18 crispbreads and it worked out that 6 breads was about a cup, so basically two packets were enough for 6.6 us gallons (25litres).
Using the all bran recipe for a template I this is what I did.
I followed the recipe but when it came to the yeast nutrient part I ommited any extra dead yeast components as the crispbread listed yeast as an ingredient on the packet. I also used two 100mg vitamin B complex tablets (Bought in wallgreens when i was in the states) as there didn't seem to be any vitamins at all showing on the ingredients, 5 teaspoons of dap, two teaspoons of 2.1 - 0.7 - 3.2 (origionally thought this was 21.07.32 as didn't spot decimal points so don't think this stuff had much to do with anything).
I put the dap, vitamin B and the fertalizer in a pint of boiling water and pitched it in once I had mixed together the boiled crispbreads and the inverted sugar.
Topped it up with cold water and waited till it reached 35c and pitched in a cup of yeast, the sg at this point was 1.080.
It pretty much started to ferment in minutes. After half an hour there was a decent cap and after an hour it had doubled. I left it over night with the lid only half on and it had spilt a little on the floor and was still looking very active. I tried to fix the lid with an airlock but it was a waste of time as it just went nuts. Its now sat there with the lid just resting on the top and the cap keeps building up till it touches the bottom of the lid.
This is the best ferment Ive had so far and can't wait to run this stuff to see what its like.
The beauty of this was the ingredients were piss cheap. The breads came to around 60p a packet a kilo of sugar was only 64p a packet (from Lidl used six kilo's) so happy days I do love a nice bit of penny pinching.
To recap. Follow all bran instructions with the following ingredients.
6 kilo's white sugar
36 (two packets/ 6 cups) dark rye crispbreads
1/2 teaspoon 2.1-0.7-3.2 fertilizer (really not sure if this was needed or not, i personally think not)
5 teaspoons of dap
2 100mg vitamin B complex tablets
1 cup (125g) Allinson dried active baking yeast (off shelf at morrisons)
Make up to 25 litres (6.6 us gallons)
DSC_0340.jpg
after 30 minutes
after 30 minutes
after an hour
after an hour
this morning
this morning
now
now
Will let you know the outcome when its stilled.
All the best S H
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: All Bran Recipe

Post by LWTCS »

That sounds like (and looks like) a nice variation.

Do hope you'll try multiple generations with that.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
suburban hillbilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

HI Lwtcs
I think I wiill definately give it a few trys. The ingredients are so cheap its worth running a few times to see what happens.
Its sort of smelling like green apples at the moment which I didn't expect.
All the best S H
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Green apples huh?
That sounds like a nice suprise.

Maybe post about this further on it's own thread so that the All Bran topic stays on topic.

Please keep this updated. Sounds interesting so far.

By the looks of you ferment,,,,,,you should be ready rack in 7 more minutes. ;);););)
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
suburban hillbilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: dark rye crispbread

Thanks Lwtcs
I think my wife would like it to be over in 7 minutes as well. The ferment that is! :ewink: The other only takes five minutes if she's lucky.
All the best
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

This sounds great. Too bad we don't have a generic rye crisp brand in the colony, just the expensive brand :cry: Good luck, bd.
I do all my own stunts
suburban hillbilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi
At the moment it is still very steadily chugging away and is just under 1.030 sg so expecting it ready fo the weekend.
It seems this recipe works well so far but it does produce a bit of foam. Even now after a few days there is still a layer of bubbles on top.
Still smells a bit like apples or apple juice.
All the best S H
suburban hillbilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Guys
So after a bit of a wait my wash finally finished. After two weeks of fermenting it reached 1.000 but kept bubbling so i left it for a few more days before deciding to run it, even then there were still some signs of activity.
It turned into a bit of a long haul stilling session as I decided non a slow single run.
I fired her up at just before 1pm and once on the boil took of distillate at around two to three drops a second.
From around 22 to 23 litres I took.
200ml fores
300ml further as heads
around 1.5l as my stuff to keep (one 750ml bottle at an average 76%abv and another at 71%abv)
I carried on collecting a further 5 200ml jars between 60 and 50% which most smell great and then turned up the heat and took off another 750ml as feints. The abv was in the mid to late 30's when I turned off the gas at around 7.45pm.
This was by far the most produtcive run I have had. I am still on a steep learning curve as far as this hobby is concerned and found this one hard as the smell of tails came on very slowly. I tasted all the way through and constantly smelled the output. It tasted pretty good from the start (after the fores and heads) and still tasted pretty good near the end.
As as result I still have quite a few jars to air sniff and scatch my head over.
I have kept a yeast sample and some of the sediment and will start a new batch with that and some backset very soon. I going to try using rain water or bottled water this time to see if in affects the fermenting time. This one started out at a furious rate and then just got steady. I have read on here somewhere that the chlorine in tap water could play a part in holding things up, Keep you posted.
I was perhaps a bit hasty as I put what I considered as the hearts straight onto oak. Kind of wishing I had waited as there is probably some more jars to add, unless I just keep the best of whats left for a crafty sniffter in the shed.
I have now got a similar wash I made with malt loaf about ready to go. Thats smelling pretty strong already, better get ready for another long cold day in the shed while we get hit by shit weather. The bastard is my motorbike has to sit out in the wet while Im in there stilling. Sacrilege!
Al the best S H.
suburban hillbilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Just a quick update. I blended the last remaining jars that I haf left breathing yesterday. From five 200ml jars I tossed the last the last jar and a half (300ml) into my feints jar and bottled the rest cut it down and put it in the kitchen to drink as is.
I had some last night and was quietly blown away. I started out wanting to predomently make rum but I might make this on a more regular basis as it yeilded more than my rum batches and tastes great. There waqs even a nice little smooth after taste Im assuming is the ryvita (crispbread). I wish now I had kept a little of my all bran to one side to compare. I have a couple of bottles of all bran about to complete a month on oak so am looking forward to giving it a taste to see if there is a vast difference in the taste profile.
I also have a malt loaf wash just about to be stilled on another thread and after my recent results am eager to run it.
As for the crispbread whiskey it was cheap and a good end result can't wait to taste some after a bit of aging if I can keep me hands off it.
Keep you posted
suburban hillbilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi
I ran two washes very close together this one and a malt loaf recipe (see other post).
After blending last year I went of to work for 18 weeks out of the country and left them sitting in glass demijohns. I diluted them down to 40% yesterday and then sampled both last night on the rocks.
They were both very drinkable but I have to say there was a definite difference in the flavour of the malt loaf. There was a distinct fuller more rich taste, which has swung me into deciding that this will be the recipe I will push on with for the time being. Hopefully the flavour will deepen as generations go on.
All the best SH
ToddInMT
Novice

Post by ToddInMT »

Thank you for posting this. :) food for thought.