Wheat Vodka Recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Wheat Vodka Recipe

Post by Fastill »

Not sure about wheat, but every corn, rye, or barley ferment I have done, the cap drops when fermenting is finished, and clear liquid is at the top.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
memetic
Swill Maker

Post by memetic »

Fastill wrote:Not sure about wheat, but every corn, rye, or barley ferment I have done, the cap drops when fermenting is finished, and clear liquid is at the top.
Seems to be the case. The cap is slowly sinking now. Unfortunately, it is in my boiler, so I have to disturb it a little to get it out; I'm going to siphon it into a carboy. Thank you.
DIYhooch
Novice

Post by DIYhooch »

Just wondering if you have any updates on how this turned out. What was it like after the ferment and more importantly how did it taste after distilling?

Thanks
memetic
Swill Maker

Post by memetic »

I haven't distilled it yet. My rig got a nasty set of leaks. I am taking it apart to fix it today.

The mash just bubbled away, then the "cap" dropped, it bubbled a bit more. It started to smell like alcohol. I checked it with a hydrometer and stopped when it was about 15% -- it held at 15% for a few days, so I figure that was the limit. I racked it, then did a stripping run. It came out clear as water and I stripped it until it hit 20-25%. The overall abv after the stripping run was approx 45%.

I have to run, but if you have any other questions ask. I have some pictures too.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

So did the wash ferment to dry or did it stall at 15% ABV...??? What was the FG (final specific gravity) of the wash...???
memetic
Swill Maker

Post by memetic »

I can only measure tralles and proof. It was actually closer to 17-18 tralles -- it sat at that level for a few days without change so I racked and stripped it. After stripping it was closer to 50%. I don't right anything down, so these are just approximate numbers. I will become more scientific once I get a little better at this.

I am still messing around with leaks. I finally went out and bought the threaded adapters, so I can ditch the couplings that never stopped leaking (three pairs cost $100 -- ouch). My sink drain was also leaking on the lid. I got the proper torch and fuel (MAPP), flux, and silver solder to put these leaks to rest. I lost half a gallon of low wines. That is a lot considering my boiler is only holding six and a half gallons (totally full). F'ing leaks...
travis
Novice

Post by travis »

Really like to brew beer for a living, in my dreams I would just bring home (with permission) 23ltrs of beer (mash) before the hops are added & "Still" a good Vodka, or is that too easy?
Risen
Novice

Post by Risen »

Ill be doing a wheat vodka soon as well! I found about 100lbs of it in my garage the other day, also interested in making an all wheat whisky... should be interesting.
sparky marky
Swill Maker

Post by sparky marky »

travis wrote:Really like to brew beer for a living, in my dreams I would just bring home (with permission) 23ltrs of beer (mash) before the hops are added & "Still" a good Vodka, or is that too easy?
That is exactly right, would save you messing around with mashing in your kitchen.
you can take the first runnings from a wheat beer and make a wheat vodka, or you could do the same for a standard barley brew and call it single malt :D

I'd like to hear memetics results for this one, if it's significantly different from a plain sugar wash.
memetic
Swill Maker

Post by memetic »

sparky marky wrote:I'd like to hear memetics results for this one, if it's significantly different from a plain sugar wash.
Well, I have finished a number of wheat mashes through distilling, as well as hundreds of gallons of sugar washes. I honestly can't say I can tell the difference in the final product (vodka). The heads and tails are a bit different between the sugar wash and the wheat, but not that much -- it could just be in my head.

Overall, making the wheat mash is fun. It smells really good too. But for cost, ease, and simplicity the sugar washes win in my book. I'll continue to do the wheat mashes for special occasions just for fun.

If anyone has any questions about what I did to make the mashes, feel free to ask away.
sparky marky
Swill Maker

Post by sparky marky »

That's interesting to know... I won't bother doing it for myself if sugar is just as good for vodka.
I think if that's the case then if you are going to the trouble to mash then you should pot still it and keep it as all grain wheat whisky. :-)
memetic
Swill Maker

Post by memetic »

Agreed. But, I've also been discussing trying my hand at potstilling some vodka too. I guess some of the wheat flavor will come through and this can be a good thing. I can't say for sure since I never tried it, but I have a bunch of wheat still lying around so I think I might give it a try. If I don't like it, I'll save the mashes for whiskey and stick to sugar washes for the vodka. I am very very happy with my vodkas from sugar washes. I cannot say I have ever had a better vodka. I am so proud of myself. :clap:
travis
Novice

Re: Wheat Vodka Recipe, a little more

Post by travis »

I too am in favour of pure sugar washes for nice Vodka, especially for its simplicity. I have also found after a 2nd stilling if I filter through Activated Carbon granules a few times this really cleans, polishes it & brings out flavour? (In my opinion)

However browsing the site I came across a white rice, wheat & barley recipe, I obtained the grains & with a lot of effort had 2 x 23ltrs in ferment. I must admit the final results are very good, with a subtle flavour, but was it worth the effort? I will have to sit & sample both (against a sugar wash) for more than a few times.

I chose to soak & sparge the 1st. grain batch, then sparge again & ferment on the grain for the 2nd (both with added sugar to beef up the sg) batch, both have come out well, with a little less final volume, however it is pushing me towards another grain ferment in spite of the effort. However brewing is supposed to be fun, a hobby & most of all to enjoy the final result.

I also brew beer & over the year’s patience & time are my way of brewing, I will leave a batch on the trub for a month, ticking over ever soo slow, the transfer to a pressure barrel & leave for a minimum of 2 months WOW superb.

I did a batch once I wasn’t pleased with the taste of that particular beer, I ran it through the still & got a really fine whisky from it.
memetic
Swill Maker

Post by memetic »

I'm not much of a beer drinker anymore. I used to love all the dark and exotic beers then the fancy micro-brewery beers ten years ago, or whenever it finally got popular. Otherwise, I'd be a bit more excited about the grain recipes. I guess when I start getting serious about whiskey...

For now, I just do a very simplified version of Birdwatcher's. I do it in 50 gallon food grade barrels. I have been doing really well with that. I get about 5 gallons of TOP notch vodka from 50 gallons. If I delve a bit more into the heads and tails I can get a lot more. I am very picky, but I have had many friends drink from my less picky batches and they still love it. I am becoming very good at making cuts. I can go pretty deep into the heads (in my opinion) and a bit into the tails and other people still say it smells like nothing. I usually put the very best of the hearts in a separate container and save that for me. The rest I mix up and share. I recently made the espresso, vanilla laced vodka in the tried and true section. OMG it was good. Everybody went nuts for it. Now, I can feel a bit better delving into the heads and tails a bit more knowing I can turn it into that. It is absolutely delicious (and I hate, sweet, flavoured liquor).
ferry
Novice

Post by ferry »

Thanks for sharing this recipe..I really like your recipe and surely will try it out..
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

ferry wrote:Thanks for sharing this recipe..I really like your recipe and surely will try it out..
Ferry, as this is your first post please go over to the welcome center and introduce yourself to the rest of the forum.
Steve6458
Novice

Post by Steve6458 »

I enjoyed this discussion and I am going to try using :thumbup: wheat on my next Vodka run. I have made Vodka twice now, and it turned out okay, but not perfect. It is normally crystal clear until I cut it. I have tried bottled water, distilled water, and just plain tap water, and honestly the tap water was the best. The others clouded right away when I added the water…. Another question, I am also fairly new to the hobby, and when researching the optimal temp for pitching the yeast I find a range of answers… so I’m interested in what people here think…
I am using a reflux still for Vodka.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Steve6458 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:46 pm… I have made Vodka twice now, and it turned out okay, but not perfect. It is normally crystal clear until I cut it. I have tried bottled water, distilled water, and just plain tap water, and honestly the tap water was the best. The others clouded right away when I added the water… I am using a reflux still for Vodka.
Do you double distill, ie - strip run and spirit run? Try it. Better yet, triple distill: strip run + spirit run + dilute to 40%ABV and spirit run again.

You’re getting a louche because of oils in your spirit from grains (wheat?) or botanicals you may be using. Multiple distillations should reduce the oils left in the product and improve your product’s clarity even when diluted to bottle strength.

Also, don’t get too greedy by including too much of the tails in your “hearts cut”.
Steve6458 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:46 pm… when researching the optimal temp for pitching the yeast I find a range of answers… so I’m interested in what people here think…
I use baker’s yeast and it “prefers” temperatures in the 24*C to 28*C range. However, it will start at warmer temperatures as well, 35*C to 39*C.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Steve6458
Novice

Post by Steve6458 »

Thank you for the reply and info! And yes the last batch I ran 3 times. Then ran it through carbon a few times. It was a lot better, and drinkable, but still slightly cloudy when compared to absolute… i probably did go too far into the tails, trying to get more final product… I plan on doing the wheat run next week when my fermenter frees up.
S.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

I noticed it mentioned in this thread to strip first and then reflux. I take it this produces a much cleaner vodka
Steve6458
Novice

Post by Steve6458 »

I perform a stripping run as a fast first step to remove the stuff at the end of the tails ( mostly water and low ABV stuff). I then run the resulting distilled alcohol through the still twice more each time removing the heads and tails. Lastly I run the distillit through my carbon filter twice. My last Vodka run was amazing, clear and very drinkable.