Captain Morgan Spicy Rum

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

KarlNapp
Novice

Re: Captain Morgan Spicy Rum

Post by KarlNapp »

I guess you usually drink that with coke, too?

I didn't think of raisins yet, but does sound good.I always had vanilla and cinnamon on my list, though. Concerning the sugar I think I'll just wait till then to decide whether and how much to add.

Do you use molasses or just brown sugar? I just bought brown sugar and decided a sugar mash is would be the best for the first try.

What about roasted oak chips? You add anything like that, or keep it in a wooden barrel?

So far my plan was a brown sugar mash, run it through my pott still, and add roasted oak chips, vanilla, cloves and cinnamon. Always wondered whether peppercorns and nutmegs even do anything to the taste.

But the vanilla, cinnamon, raisin mix sounds quite nice. I would probably add roasted oak cause I always thought it'd be a crucial ingredient. Please correct me if I'm completely wrong with the oak.

The recipes with 20 different ingredients always seemed a bit strange to me.
Glock19Fan
Swill Maker

Post by Glock19Fan »

Captian Morgan is a very light bodied rum, similar to Bacardi. In fact, sometimes when I drink it I think it may just be a nuetral rum, or a Bacardi type rum blended with nuetral and with flavor added.

I tried to replicate something similar to Captain Morgan, and my suggestion based on experience is something like this;

Per 750ml, 40%, double distilled or reflux born-

1/2 cinnamon stick
1/4 cup vanilla syrup
10-15 peppercorns
2-3 cloves
A few teaspoons of caramel

Age it on charred oak until the rum starts to mellow and the flavors start to come out. A used barrel, or used oak stick is preferable, but a lightly charred oak stick would also work alright.

Filter out the sediment, and blend with some nuetral (molasses or sugar base). I find that a 2/1 ratio of aged rum to nuetral works well for me, but blend to your taste. Add a little more caramel to sweeten, and allow a few days to "marry".
Cool guy
sparky marky
Swill Maker

Post by sparky marky »

KarlNapp wrote:I guess you usually drink that with coke, too?

I didn't think of raisins yet, but does sound good.I always had vanilla and cinnamon on my list, though. Concerning the sugar I think I'll just wait till then to decide whether and how much to add.

Do you use molasses or just brown sugar? I just bought brown sugar and decided a sugar mash is would be the best for the first try.

What about roasted oak chips? You add anything like that, or keep it in a wooden barrel?

So far my plan was a brown sugar mash, run it through my pott still, and add roasted oak chips, vanilla, cloves and cinnamon. Always wondered whether peppercorns and nutmegs even do anything to the taste.

But the vanilla, cinnamon, raisin mix sounds quite nice. I would probably add roasted oak cause I always thought it'd be a crucial ingredient. Please correct me if I'm completely wrong with the oak.
I use a mix of about 60% white sugar and 40% fancy treacle/molasses with a lot of Dunder.
Double run this gets me a nice medium rum, I don't like it super heavy...

As for spices and oak do whatever you think you will like, or try it both ways... I just seem to prefer to not use oak when I add vanilla etc.
Last edited by sparky marky on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

not sure if its been mentioned here yet or not, but I find the one thing thats missing in most spiced rum recipes is a small slice of orange peel.
I never would have thought it till I tried it, and thats the closest to tasting like the original Captain as I've ever tasted. of course the dominant flavor should still be vanilla, so vanillabeans are a must, sliced and scraped out. so the rum can interact with the seeds and insides better.
grege123
Novice

Post by grege123 »

Hello violet blue,

You have so much knowledge about the spicy rum so can you please tell me from where I can purchase it.

Mod Edit :grege 123 , it is customary to pop over to the welcome thread and introduce yourself before posting your first post :thumbup:
svodysseus
Novice

Re:

Post by svodysseus »

knuklehead wrote:You can make rum just fine in a derefluxed column still. I've done it both ways and I prefer using a potstill and just double distilling, but a tower on a single run works too. Hey, if you've never done anything but sugar then your have to make a molasses wash. Run that and then spice it up. I am not sure what's in spiced rums but I'd imagine there's just more of everything that's in regular rum. Check the wicky for spiced rum recipes.
Can you elaborate on your process and recipe of making Rum via a Reflux column still?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I've been here for a while now and I haven't seen him around, not to say he isn't lurking about. lol

I think a rum recipe is the most simple of all recipes, molasses water and yeast (Bread) I add some dark brown sugar because molasses is expensive here and I make a fine rum!

I think what he was meaning was to take the packing out, not run any reflux and strip run it, do that enough times to to get enough low wines for a spirit run at or below 40%

Once you do that you can go by some of the other suggestions about how to spice things up.

I haven't touched spiced rum in years (lots of booze and snickers candy bars= A bad mess)

But this thread was from 2006 so there a ton more rum threads to look through and read about.

Shine0n
svodysseus
Novice

Post by svodysseus »

Appreciate the info, just that much info makes alot of sense in general and quickly points me in direction to start sniffing out information and trying some experiments lol... Im still a newb but I do catch on quickly and everything I have made is drinkable, been pretty well received by people, and shit I havent blinded or killed anyone yet so thats good.
Royco
Bootlegger

Post by Royco »

Been reading a lot about this and am on my third attempt. Biggest problem was adding too much spice at first. Better to creep up on it.

Just a thought; anyone know of a foaming agent to get the classic Captain ‘n Coke head?
(Slightly tongue in cheek :D )
StriaghtJakket
Novice

Post by StriaghtJakket »

from my understanding, CM is not even a rum - it does not say RUM anywhere on there cans, stubbys or bottles - pretty sure it just says spiced flavoured drink - or something to that effect. it is essentially a neutral with flavouring and sugar. there white and dark bottles say RUM, but gold is
Avast ye! Take a sip and lift it to your nose, just the way the Captain did when he first created his sumptuous spiced spirit drink. You’ll taste notes of rich vanilla, brown sugar, warming spices with just the hint of oak. They all combine for balance, a smooth finish and the perfect drink for buccaneers and landlubbers alike.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum says exactly that on the bottle label and is a molasses product.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Morgan
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Depends on where it's sold.
It doesn't comply to some nations definition of rum.
In some places they have to call it a spirit drink. It might happen to flavored whisky too.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Useless trivia alert: Captain Morgan is owned by the London based juggernaut Diageo and makes multiple styles of rum, sorta rum, and not-really-mixed drinks for "almost" every market in the world. "Almost" because through various corporate shenanigans Diageo ended up with the global rights to the trademark everywhere except in Captain Morgan's birthplace of Jamaica. The Jamaican rights are owned Wray and Nephew who also makes a Captain Morgan which conversely can only be sold in Jamaica. Wray and Nephew is owned by Campari from Italy (and also owns Appleton's Estate).

Diageo's Morgan makes most of their rum in the US Virgin Islands, but does use some Jamaican rum from the Clarendon distillery. Clarendon is mostly owned by a partnership between the Jamaican government, Plantation (from France), and Demerara Distillers (from Guyanna), with Diageo owning the remaining 25%. So they are effectively buying Jamaican rum partially from themselves (and partially from 2 competitors, and from the government) to blend into their USVI Captain Morgan, which they can't even sell in Jamaica.

For those keeping score at home that's 3 physical distilleries in 2 countries, 8 corporate entities from 5 countries and 1 whole ass government just to supply the world with some very mediocre rums.

Rum is kinda the poster child for the mess that is post colonial global capitalism. Which is appropriate because it was also front and center in the mess of slavery and colonialism.

Image Image
Royco
Bootlegger

Post by Royco »

violentblue wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:06 am not sure if its been mentioned here yet or not, but I find the one thing thats missing in most spiced rum recipes is a small slice of orange peel.
I never would have thought it till I tried it, and thats the closest to tasting like the original Captain as I've ever tasted. of course the dominant flavor should still be vanilla, so vanillabeans are a must, sliced and scraped out. so the rum can interact with the seeds and insides better.
violentblue, not sure if you are still around? Just followed your tip re orange peel. Using 2,5L of 40% I used the zest of a whole orange. After one day it tasted like Fanta Orange (in our country that's a carbonated orange drink). Sickly sweet. (I know you said a small slice but I assumed that was for a 750ml bottle). So if anyone tries this be warned; use a SMALL slice. So now I don't know how to undo this; maybe dilute with neutral of re-distill.