Captain Morgan Spicy Rum

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Arnie_sla
Novice

Captain Morgan Spicy Rum

Post by Arnie_sla »

Can anyone give me the recipe for Captain Morgan Spicy Rum.
An Ozzie Drinker. OOPs drank too much again!!! better lay down and rest for a while.
Arnie_sla
Novice

Post by Arnie_sla »

I forgot to say that I use a reflux still so I am actually adding the flavor to a neutral spirit. I know all you rum makers out there will say I should be using a pot still to make rum, so forgive me if you can. Anyway some friends of mine have asked about Captain Morgan Spicy Rum so if I can find some flavors to add I thought I would give it a go a see how it turns out.
An Ozzie Drinker. OOPs drank too much again!!! better lay down and rest for a while.
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

You can make rum just fine in a derefluxed column still. I've done it both ways and I prefer using a potstill and just double distilling, but a tower on a single run works too. Hey, if you've never done anything but sugar then your have to make a molasses wash. Run that and then spice it up. I am not sure what's in spiced rums but I'd imagine there's just more of everything that's in regular rum. Check the wicky for spiced rum recipes.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
Arnie_sla
Novice

spices to add

Post by Arnie_sla »

I have found a short reference which says that cinamon, vanilla and nutmeg are added in small quanities, but it really doesn't give any more details than that. has any one got more details about the amounts to be added ie. it is a tea spoon per litres or a tea spoon per gallon etc.
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

Did a little search, try this Arnie.
Spiced Rum
If you don't want to make the molasses wash then I would suggest taking some neutral alcohol at about 120 proof or so and letting it sit on charred oak for about a week to get a nice gold color to it. Then follow the recipe as stated on the link. Good luck.
Last edited by knuklehead on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Here in stores you can buy packs to turn cider into spiced cider i use it by its directions for cider for my spice rum works well.Brand name is Global Teasures Mulling Spices for spice cider and wine 1.5 oz pks makes 12 quarts ingreadients cinnamon oarnge peel cloves allspice
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Arnie_sla
Novice

thanks guys

Post by Arnie_sla »

thank you for your efforts I will give the spice rum a go and let you all know how it turns out.
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

I think there is some vanilla bean in the captian...among other things.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

This is off parent sight . What I found using search.Mike writes ...

The recipe according to me for CAPTAIN MORGAN SPICED RUM is (starting batch)......
o 6 kg brown sugar ,
o 100 gm (extremely good) yeast nutrient
o 2 packages (5gm per each) Lalvin-EC-1118 yeast. Make sure you bring the yeast up to a good foam (1/2 hr @ 80 F (26C) in 150 ml of the wash).
o Add yeast to wert and add heat band to keep fermentation to 74 degrees F (23C) untill it reaches 0.998 specific gravity.
o After that...you must filter the must through a wine filter(# 3 VINAMAT ) filter pad to get rid of as much yeast as possible before distilling.
o Distill as per Tony's rules and collect in a big enough container to allow the cut down with distilled water (as per Tony's calculators on his website). Make sure the alcohol is 53%.
o Add 1 Tbsp toasted (white American Oak chips) take that any way you like....HA HA HA....,
o 1 tsp ground cinnamon,
o 1 tsp ground ginger,
o 2-dried cloves.
o You may add as much caramelized white sugar as you would like to deepen the colour of the spiced rum
o Let this soak for 1-2 weeks (or per taste or smell)
o you mus t put the spiced rum through a coffee filter before you drink it unless you like alot of stuff going down your throat that does not belong there.
o The way I distill is I use 60 oz. bottles for the distillate. After the first one is full I take a hydrometer reading. Same with the second and the third and so on. I finish when the coloumn temp reaches 90 degrees C temp. Then I take 2 minutes of tails for flavour and then I shut it down. Too much more will give you brackish yuck flavour!! After the run is finished I combine all the 60 oz. bottles and take a final gravity reading.Usually around 85-92%. This is then split in half with distilled water (unless making spiced rum which has to stay at 53% to get the vanillins out of the oak chips). The spiced rum can be dilluted down to 40% but it is quite good at 53%. By the way...I use brass scrubbers in the still because the don't impart flavour like stainless ones do.
and then have a PARTY!!!!!!!

Update ! - Mike has a new improved recipe ..
Mike's Canadian Spiced Rum
o 800 mL 80% rum (fermented from 6kg brown sugar, 25gm citric acid [to invert the sugar] , 25gm Supervit (Italian) yeast nutrient. 10gm Ec-1118 yeast from Lalvin (ferments HIGH ALCOHOL!!!) Run this stuff through a good reflux coloumn.
o 1/4-tsp ground cloves
o 1/4-tsp (generous) powdered cinnamon
o 1/4-tsp (generous) powdered ginger
o 1-tsp-Crosby's Cooking Molasses (Blackstrap will do !)
o 1-Tbsp-Toasted White Oak Chips (Check your local wine shop as this is a popular addition to Red Wine !)
o Now....after all this CRAP....let this stuff macerate in a 60 oz (1.7L) bottle (plastic or glass...your choice) for at least 7 (SEVEN) DAY'S (PLEASE!!!). SHAKE-THE-CRAP-OUTTA-THIS-BOTTLE-EVERY-DAY for the whole week (make's the flavours blend incredibly well). If you want an even fuller flavour...leave the bottle (or bottles ) to macerate (soak) for another week... (let's the spices and stuff impart an even stronger flavour). Play with it....see what you like!!
o After this...you must run your (YUMMY-STUFF) through a coffee filter 2 (TWO) times at least (more filtering...clearer product!!!).
o After this...you must top off the bottle (SORRY) to the top!!! This will give you about 38% alc/vol...which is perfect for this type of rum. I know that the Captain Morgan Rum is 3% less in alcohol...and it is much sweeter... I find this version BETTER! (only my opinion!). Oh...and yes...when I say TOP OFF THE BOTTLE...I mean,top it off with filtered or distilled WATER!!!

Mike elaborates on his recipe ...

I thought that I would tell you how I keep my primary fermentor at about 78 degrees F. I use 10 feet of Pipe heating cable (this stuff is self regulating in watts,therefore controls the temp to keep it at an ambient temp of 75-78 degrees F) like your typical room temperature. I put an old plug (off an old clothes iron) on the end,wrap this around a SMOOTH WALL glass carboy and then wrap packing tape (you know...the clear pain in the butt stuff) around it about 5 to 6 times to seal it good and tight. If you dont know what I mean by pipe heating cable...check out the cable that you put on your roof to prevent ice dams in the winter. Fill up your carboy (check the temp before adding yeast).Plug this BAD BOY in to the outlet. If temp is Too high...put the airlock in and wait about 8-10 hours...then add hydrated yeast. This is guarranteed to ferment a 6kg brown sugar plus 50g Supervit yeast nutrient plus 10g Lalvin EC-1118 yeast ,wash (with a starting gravity of 1.100) down to 1.002 in just 7 (yes that is seven) days (just did it...I am not kidding!!!). And yes...I use brown sugar because what is it really...it is cheap($3.89 per 2kg Canadian) and it is white sugar laced with pure molasses. It ferments out completely and in a reflux still...comes out at 85% pure,lots of flavour,and tastes great if left full strength on toasted oak chips for about 8-10 days,then cut to 40%.You end up with a beautifull Golden Rum.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

tater, i had a request for some spiced rum for a freind of mine who is due back from afghanistan the end of march and i have been studying up on some recipes. but it looks like all that time was wasted because of you. i cant believe i didnt think of the cider spice. that should be a quick, easy and tasty answer. i have to admit though , i will be trying tonys recipe. it should defenitly be worth the extra work. it sounds real good. my friend loves capt morgan and i will let you know how well he likes this stuff.
thanks for the post
Ricky
Day Late;Dollar Short
Captin Moron
Bootlegger

Post by Captin Moron »

If your feelin uber lazy, brewhaus has a spiced rum essence for 3 bucks. Add that to 750ml of neuteral spirit and call it your own :wink:
Arnie_sla
Novice

it worked fine and tastes great

Post by Arnie_sla »

Well its been two weeks now and the Spicy Rum is done. I had a guy who buys the stuff give me a small sample of his stock so I could compare the taste and colour of my home made stuff.

The bought stuff was much lighter in colour and seemed to not have as much of a nose. Although I wasn't really concerned with the colour (everything is black in coke) my stuff did taste a bit too spicy. I followed the amounts given above and used Top shelf Aussie Golden Rum as the essence, but as I said it was much darker and a bit too spicy.

My Spicy Rum mix which I had been soaking for two weeks was cut to about 40% and so I simple blended about half and half with unflavoured uncoloured 40% alcohol. I added a little more Vanila essence and that did the trick just fine. The colour, smell and most importantly the taste are now so close I couldn't tell the difference.

So all in all it seems like a great success even if I had to blend it with unflavour 40% to get colour and taste just right.

I now have enough Spicy Rum to warm up even the coldest night for many a while, as I have ended up with twice as much as I orginially planned. I suppose I could drink it faster LOL.

Thanks guys for the advice.
stillman
Novice

Post by stillman »

Better get started on the next batch.

Cheers
You bring the fair maidens, I'll bring the panty-remover.
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

I've been transforming some molassis spirit (2x potstill, BIG head cut)
into spicey rum.

First, aged on charred apple wood, lots of wood for 1 week .Filter many times. This also helps "air out" the rum.
2nd added about 1 tbs blackstrap molassis per 1/2 gallon of rum.
3rd decant off of molassis fine particles. Filter.
4th added real vanilla extract... testing to not over add.
then drink a bunch :D so you only have 1 liter left :cry:
5th Added 1 stick of cinimon give a shake every day.
(cinimon can be overpowering so be carefull, that is why I am using a stick not powder)
6th add some whole peeled ginger, and 1 clove(whole).
7th other spices as flavor dictates.
Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

Arnie_sla wrote:
I now have enough Spicy Rum to warm up even the coldest night for many a while, as I have ended up with twice as much as I orginially planned. I suppose I could drink it faster LOL.
I know winter's approaching for you guys down there, but does it REALLY get cold in AUstralia? I mean, when people in Lithuania think about AUstralia, they think that it's always mild to hot.

Aidas
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Post by hornedrhodent »

Aidas wrote:
I know winter's approaching for you guys down there, but does it REALLY get cold in AUstralia? I mean, when people in Lithuania think about AUstralia, they think that it's always mild to hot.

Aidas

It can get BLOODY cold down here - I even had to put a blanket on my bed last winter. :)
nimrod77
Novice

Cold

Post by nimrod77 »

Hey It's cold here now!! Bloody freezing today!
Is the recipy for Captain Morgan GOLD any diferent to the ones stated here??
PseudoX
Novice

Post by PseudoX »

If you live in Tasmania like me, yes it gets COLD!! (most of the year actually)

Last week has been 3-10C.

Not exactly warm. Oh, and the DAMN WIND!!
Thorin
Novice

Post by Thorin »

if you have over 0C, dont complain... we have -25C often in winter..
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

For gold Captian reserve (the only kind I drink reguarly) give the base hootch a little more time on the wood, and also more carmalised sugar disolved into the booze when you dillute it down to 50% or 40%.
Also note that water disolves the carmel better than booze, so disolve much of the caramel into the dillution water, as it wont go into soloution in alcohol as well as water.

I also made a spiced rum like CM Tattoo, and instead of carmell sugar, I sweetened with blackstrap molassis.
I however like the caramell version better.
canadianmoonshiner
Swill Maker

Post by canadianmoonshiner »

Here is my secret recipe. It goes faster than anything else.

12.5L XX Rum @ ~77.5% 866g/l use 387g/750ml for 40%
52g Toasted American White Oak Chips
11.8g Nutmeg, 3 cut, whole nuts
4.2g Cinnamon Stick
5.3g Cinnamon Bark (Cassia)
1.7g Vanilla, ½ pod cut in 2mm slices
12 Aniseed, crushed
10 Cloves, crush seed – no stem
1.7g Black Peppercorns, 45 whole
5.1g Licorice Root, dry slices
1.9g Ginger Root dry slices
0.8g Black Cardamom , 1 pod, seeds only, crushed
1 Bay leaf
19g raisins, Sun-Maid
15g raisins, caramelized

ADD 20g caramel per 750ml at bottling time
Canadian Moonshiner
nimrod77
Novice

Post by nimrod77 »

possum wrote:For gold Captian reserve (the only kind I drink reguarly) give the base hootch a little more time on the wood, and also more carmalised sugar disolved into the booze when you dillute it down to 50% or 40%.
Also note that water disolves the carmel better than booze, so disolve much of the caramel into the dillution water, as it wont go into soloution in alcohol as well as water.

I also made a spiced rum like CM Tattoo, and instead of carmell sugar, I sweetened with blackstrap molassis.
I however like the caramell version better.
Hey Possum,
Would you be able to give a noob a bit of a noddys guide to making cap'n Morgan Gold, from go to woah??
Cheers mate,
Nimrod.
canadianmoonshiner
Swill Maker

Post by canadianmoonshiner »

My standard maceration time is 2 weeks.

I find my molasses version (darker color) needs to blend & settle for a week, then be filtered twice again due to unsightly solids in the molasses. Caramel can be added immediately prior to bottling.

For caramel, melt sugar with a little water over medium heat & add water to cool a few seconds after it starts to smoke (tiny bubbles, foams up quite a bit). I use 20g per 750ml bottle so I make the caramel in 240g (white sugar) batches, bring the final weight up to 480g, then use 40g of this mixture per bottle.

More nutmeg please!
Canadian Moonshiner
nimrod77
Novice

Post by nimrod77 »

canadianmoonshiner wrote: Here is my secret recipe. It goes faster than anything else.

12.5L XX Rum @ ~77.5% 866g/l use 387g/750ml for 40%
52g Toasted American White Oak Chips
11.8g Nutmeg, 3 cut, whole nuts
4.2g Cinnamon Stick
5.3g Cinnamon Bark (Cassia)
1.7g Vanilla, ½ pod cut in 2mm slices
12 Aniseed, crushed
10 Cloves, crush seed – no stem
1.7g Black Peppercorns, 45 whole
5.1g Licorice Root, dry slices
1.9g Ginger Root dry slices
0.8g Black Cardamom , 1 pod, seeds only, crushed
1 Bay leaf
19g raisins, Sun-Maid
15g raisins, caramelized

ADD 20g caramel per 750ml at bottling time
So do you just make up a "standard" rum using molasses , yeast nutrient, Citric Acid and Yeast? Then I just add the ingredients as you have shown here and age? Is that right?? Sorry for all the questions!
Thanks for your help mate,
Nimrod
gs_moonshine
Bootlegger

Post by gs_moonshine »

Everytime I've tried this recipe it doesn't come out anything like Captain morgan. Captain has a sweeter taste and smell to me. i think this recipe is missing something.
otdistillery
Novice

Post by otdistillery »

Rogue Spirits makes a hazelnut spiced rum that is pretty good. They add their normal white rum to used Jack Daniels barrels, then add Toasted Hazelnuts, Bitter Orange Peel, Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean, Cinnamon, and Clove. I can't remember how long they let it age, but anyway, this might help you out.
KarlNapp
Novice

Re: Captain Morgan Spicy Rum

Post by KarlNapp »

I'm looking forward to making some Captain Morgan like rum soon. I wanted to make a brown sugar mash and add ok chips and spices after distilling the mash twice in my pot still.

This Thread all in all looked most promising to be a good guide on my way to a nice rum to mix with coke.

But since the last entry is almost 4 years old, i wanted to push it up again and ask whether there are any new insights concerning captain morgan like rum.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

KarlNapp wrote:I'm looking forward to making some Captain Morgan like rum soon. I wanted to make a brown sugar mash and add ok chips and spices after distilling the mash twice in my pot still.

This Thread all in all looked most promising to be a good guide on my way to a nice rum to mix with coke.

But since the last entry is almost 4 years old, i wanted to push it up again and ask whether there are any new insights concerning captain morgan like rum.
The subject has been discussed just recently in other topics... Use the site search to find what you are looking for... I know it's out there but I'm not going to do the searching and just hand you the link...
KarlNapp
Novice

Post by KarlNapp »

Actually I did use the search. Otherwhise I wouldn't have found a 4 year old thread I guess.

The Thread you mean that "recently discussed this topic" was probably Hook Rum. I read that thread, and it indeed is a very informative thread. But it basically has a different topic then this one. Hook Rum is about making rum in general while this thread is about making rum that tastes similar to Captain Morgan, specially which flavors to add and how to age.

If you didn't mean Hook Rum when you talked about a more recent thread than this one i didn't find it yet and apologize for not finding a certain thread out of 18k+ topics.
sparky marky
Swill Maker

Post by sparky marky »

I keep it simple, because I think Morgans spiced has quite a simple taste... if I start adding cloves, bay and peppercorns it doesn't take right.
For 5 liters I add 3 split vanilla pods, half a cinnamon stick and a handfull of raisins and leave it for a few weeks, then filter it off and add sugar syrup till it's sweet enough for me.
It's very popular with my buddies....