Rice Alcohol vs Sake! First experience.

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SGB
Novice

Re: Rice Alcohol vs Sake! First experience.

Post by SGB » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:17 pm

Sazerac wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:07 am
It seems like there are a lot of misconceptions about the chinese side of things here.

China's main distilled spirits is called Baijiu, and can be made from a variety of grains, but most commonly sorghum serves as the base. The starter for it is similar, called Daqu, but has a bigger, more complex bacterial load, and is typically used in quite large amounts. This is where some of the more unique flavours of baijiu come from, which can be a bit of an acquired taste for some. One day I want to have a try at making some, but sourcing the starter might be difficult.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baijiu
I typically make my starter from steamed glutinous rice and yeast balls from the local open market. And leave it to activate. After about 5 days I add the water. I usually let it ferment around two weeks longer. No sugar. Just rice ,yeast balls, and water and time

rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Re: Rice Alcohol vs Sake! First experience.

Post by rubelstrudel » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:42 pm

It's now been a year since I made my Shochu, and it's been sitting on the shelf maturing in bottles. Now I opened a couple of bottles for the first time in a year and shared it with some japanese friends, and my pretty decent Shochu from last year had matured in to rather damn good Shochu this year. The awamori version made with Thai sticky rice was a clear favourite with my friends, since it had retained more sting actually. The kome-shochu made from normal japanese rice that was the one with the most to gain from maturing had mellowed almost to much.
Always impatient. But learning.