Sweet Corn Mash

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Sweet Corn Mash

Post by Dnderhead »

cook the corn separate ( fresh corn can be mashed does not need grinding) then add enzymes (gluco/alpha amylase-- not glutamate! (unless your making health food drink) or crushed malt at 150F just rap pot/fermenter in blanket /towel to hold in heat.when cooled to 80f add yeast.
thumper123
Swill Maker

Post by thumper123 »

I had an interesting experience when I was a lad making corn whiskey. It smacks of the methanol theory dndrhead brought up about using corn cobs. It seems that around here corn sileage is the favored cow feed. It's just corn, stalks and all, ground up and blown into the silo and allowed to ferment. Copious amounts of juice flow out the bottom of the silo as the process heats up. I had the brilliant idea that I could collect the fermented juice, run it through my still and save a whole lot of work. Uh, uh. The result was the most nasty stuff I ever made. Every bit tasted like what you guys call foreshots. It must have been very high in methanol. Anyway, nobody got sick from drinking it - it was horrible.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

" Copious amounts of juice flow out the bottom "
what we would call "corn sqeezings" only true alcies drink that stuff.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

thumper123 wrote:I had an interesting experience when I was a lad making corn whiskey. It smacks of the methanol theory dndrhead brought up about using corn cobs. It seems that around here corn sileage is the favored cow feed. It's just corn, stalks and all, ground up and blown into the silo and allowed to ferment. Copious amounts of juice flow out the bottom of the silo as the process heats up. I had the brilliant idea that I could collect the fermented juice, run it through my still and save a whole lot of work. Uh, uh. The result was the most nasty stuff I ever made. Every bit tasted like what you guys call foreshots. It must have been very high in methanol. Anyway, nobody got sick from drinking it - it was horrible.
Been there and done that... :shifty: Absolute rotgut... :sick: Terrible stuff but I was young and would try just about anything that would ferment once back then... :crazy: Skipped the T-shirt... :thumbdown:
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

What about using canned or frozen sweet corn niblets? It's cold here and the local sweet corn isn't in season...
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

aircarbonarc wrote:What about using canned or frozen sweet corn niblets? It's cold here and the local sweet corn isn't in season...
Dead thread.

Go to the "grains" forum and search there. You'll find many threads with this very question already asked and answered.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K