Rogers Tequila recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

aharleycpl
Novice

Re: Rogers Tequila recipe

Post by aharleycpl »

Put a piece of kiln dried uncharred white oak in a jar to soak and it is adding a nice color to it. Seems to make it a little bit smoother so going to let it soak a few more days and see how it turns out.
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

ok.. got the latest reproducible recipe and a couple of comparisons.

5 - gallons distilled water
8 - lbs sugar
1 - bottle 24.7 oz agave nectar http://www.walmart.com/ip/Organic-Agave-Nectar/14150056
1/2 - cup fleischmanns bread making yeast http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fleischmann-s ... z/10306744

Heat up 4 gallons of water to 160 degrees then mix in your sugar and agave. Mix them together well then add the last gallon of water to cool it down.

Once the temp drops to 80 degrees mix in your yeast and seal it up until it is done fermenting.

Cook this out at a high temp with no packing in your system. The goal is to cook it out at a low proof and bring the flavor out with it. I start mine at 180 degrees temp at the head and cook it until it hits about 195-197 and then cut it off. Mix your output in a common batch and cut it down with water until it is 80 proof.

Tried this with this amount of agave, with double the amount of agave and with 22 oz of blue agave. There is very little difference between the three though the blue agave might give it a little bit nicer flavor.

Run this through your charcoal filter to take a little of the bite out of it.

Cut some strips of kiln dried white oak and place them in your storage jars. Let these age for a few days and you will get a nice flavor as well as a light tan coloring in your beverage. You should end up with over a gallon of output with this batch easily.

Try it.. it is a clean and easy to do recipe. Every one of the tequila drinkers who we have had try this thought the product was great. Tried this with double the amount of agave and it made little difference if any. So don't waste the $5 and throw in an extra bottle.

And back to the very first post on this.. NO.. it does not meet the legal definitions of tequila. If you pitch 48 oz in the 5 gallons you are only going to have about a 1-2 percent potential alcohol output vs. the 10-11 percent in this recipe. But if it looks, smells and tastes like tequila does it really matter if it was distilled in certain areas of mexico vs. your back yard? Jose Cuervo is only made from 51 percent agave after all.. the rest comes from.. ummmm Sugar... if you want to be more of a purist.. use blue agave nectar. We tried Madhava agave nectar made from blue agave http://www.walmart.com/ip/Madhava-Agave ... z/15724109 and it worked fine too. Use two bottles of this.. made from blue agave so you would not be accused of making mescal. Doesn't really matter.. tastes are about the same.

If you are looking for agave in your local wally world store.. the blue agave.. madhava should be in the baking aisle next to the sugar and artificial sweeteners and be about $3 per bottle.. the 24.7oz bottle of agave nectar should be in the cereal aisle.. with the pancake syrup and is about $5 per bottle.
620rossco
Swill Maker

Post by 620rossco »

It should taste like rum. Its a rum recipe.... basically rum ingredients....
Good I like rum.
The 'hook rum' wash it is sitting next to smells nothing like this wash.
Actually now I think about it the rum wash smells nice enough to drink now without distilling. :D

My wash is still bubbling slowly so another couple of weeks I'd say.
It smells like the raw agave but lacks the smoked flavour of the Tequila I am drinking ATM.
My experience is that the dark agave syrups produce a sweeter tasting rum than the light syrups. They have some caramelized sugars that contribute a unique flavor to the distillate.
Unreal. Used the darker of the two. :mrgreen:
3"pot, 3"LM/VM, modular hybrid bubbler.
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

Watch to see how yours ferments out. My wash starts out nice and dark then ends up yellow. Once distilled what is left in the pot is back to dark. My batches have not tasted like rum at all but guess you never know what little things people do differently.
620rossco
Swill Maker

Post by 620rossco »

EC1118 tends to form a yeast mat on the top, so I can't really see the colour of the wash.
It smells like agave not molasses, but that is not to say it won't when I distill it out.
Have to admit I am really curious.
Ruddfan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ruddfan »

Filago wrote:aharleycpl hey update please I am gonna try this recipie this weekend got some RAW organic blue agave online 2 46 oz. bottles for $20 curious how your last batch came out.
hey do you have the web site for us
steve2md
Swill Maker

Post by steve2md »

making an attempt at rumquila....7# brown sugar, 2 bottles organic blue agave. ridiculously sweet. Baking yeast. Started bubbling away within 10 minutes. it's 57 deg in my house now, so it will go low and slow on the ferment, but that's better as far as off flavors imo. I'll let you know how it went when I run it
I told the officer "I have my .45 on my hip, a 9mm in the console, and my shotgun under the seat" He said "Damn! What are you afraid of?" "Nothing" I replied...
jobesd
Novice

Post by jobesd »

Ruddfan wrote:
Filago wrote:aharleycpl hey update please I am gonna try this recipie this weekend got some RAW organic blue agave online 2 46 oz. bottles for $20 curious how your last batch came out.

RAW organic blue agave chances are you can find it locally
http://www.wholesomesweeteners.com/store_locator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
100% blue agave
http://www.globalgoods.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

FYI
Madhava brand is NOT pure blue agave, but adds fillers like maltose, among other things, which raises it's glycemic index to 46. PURE blue agave has a very low glycemic index 27.

tour of Casa Herradura, has subtitles but informative
http://www.nathangibbs.com/2008/07/04/h ... herradura/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

jobesd wrote:
Ruddfan wrote:

http://www.wholesomesweeteners.com/store_locator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
100% blue agave
http://www.globalgoods.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

FYI
Madhava brand is NOT pure blue agave, but adds fillers like maltose, among other things, which raises it's glycemic index to 46. PURE blue agave has a very low glycemic index 27.

http://www.nathangibbs.com/2008/07/04/h ... herradura/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
You could be right.. but if you read the label on certain Madhava products which are labelled "100% pure blue agave nectar" and on the ingredient list the only ingredient is agave. Madhava has recently changed their bottles and labeling and the blue may not be out in all areas as of yet. I noticed some of the stores in our area still have the old product while others have the new.
jobesd
Novice

Post by jobesd »

aharleycpl wrote:
jobesd wrote:
Ruddfan wrote:

100% blue agave

FYI

You could be right.. but if you read the label on certain Madhava products which are labelled "100% pure blue agave nectar" and on the ingredient list the only ingredient is agave. Madhava has recently changed their bottles and labeling and the blue may not be out in all areas as of yet. I noticed some of the stores in our area still have the old product while others have the new.
The only sure way to know is find out what the manufacture glycemic index is for it's product. For example: wholesomesweeteners.com glycemic index is 39 so they add fillers. On the other hand, globalgoods.com glycemic index is what it is suppose to be 27. It just depends on what you want. Mixtos and 100% agave. Mixtos use no less than 51% agave. Thats if you want to stay in spec.

I'm toying the idea with ordering the 5 gal bucket but dam it's not cheap.
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

Seriously.. try the cheap 5 gal batch I posted that has the exact measurements with distilled water and everything.. it is a cheap batch.. and I know several who have used the recipe now.. and loved it.. everyone who has tasted it really does like it. You will have less than 10 bucks into a gallon or so of final product.

You will never be in spec for tequila unless you are gonna go to mexico to distill it.. so since you never can make true tequila.. why not make something that tastes like it and is hella cheaper? Use the Madhava that is blue agave for your mix if you want.. safeway carries it.. walmart carries it.. lots of others do too.. if you want i would post you a pic of the label on the bottle and what to look for to get the blue.. it is subtle but once you notice where it is you can not miss it.
620rossco
Swill Maker

Post by 620rossco »

Agreeing with Roger here.
Put a wash together, ferment it out and distill it.
Not really needing to be overly technical.
Wack a couple of plates or a thumper on ya pot.

Spirit will speak for itself.
Dunno if I'd go for rumquila.
Not really sure how the harshness of the agave would work with the sweetness of the molasses.
Best let us know how it goes.

I have located a couple of mature agave plants. Just need a suitably dark night.

Rossco :D
Ruddfan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ruddfan »

Roger about how much sugar
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

aharleycpl wrote:ok.. got the latest reproducible recipe and a couple of comparisons.

5 - gallons distilled water
8 - lbs sugar
1 - bottle 24.7 oz agave nectar http://www.walmart.com/ip/Organic-Agave-Nectar/14150056
1/2 - cup fleischmanns bread making yeast http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fleischmann-s ... z/10306744

Heat up 4 gallons of water to 160 degrees then mix in your sugar and agave. Mix them together well then add the last gallon of water to cool it down.

Once the temp drops to 80 degrees mix in your yeast and seal it up until it is done fermenting.

Cook this out at a high temp with no packing in your system. The goal is to cook it out at a low proof and bring the flavor out with it. I start mine at 180 degrees temp at the head and cook it until it hits about 195-197 and then cut it off. Mix your output in a common batch and cut it down with water until it is 80 proof.

Tried this with this amount of agave, with double the amount of agave and with 22 oz of blue agave. There is very little difference between the three though the blue agave might give it a little bit nicer flavor.

Run this through your charcoal filter to take a little of the bite out of it.

Cut some strips of kiln dried white oak and place them in your storage jars. Let these age for a few days and you will get a nice flavor as well as a light tan coloring in your beverage. You should end up with over a gallon of output with this batch easily.
Here is a recipe to start with where I measured everything exactly.. For this batch it would be 8 lbs of sugar. It will end up with a bit over 5 gallons in your batch but fit in my 5 gallon fermenting bucket fine.
Ruddfan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ruddfan »

Thank you very much I am on it Looking forward to making this
Kid Shaleen
Novice

Post by Kid Shaleen »

Just curious as to how long the yeast normally stays active.
Mine has been powering along for 9 days now.

Also found out the fruit flies love it, after having to clean out the airlock twice, I've now run a hose outside to get them away from it.
steve2md
Swill Maker

Post by steve2md »

try putting vodka instead of water in your airlock. The fruit flies don't really like the vodka as much
I told the officer "I have my .45 on my hip, a 9mm in the console, and my shotgun under the seat" He said "Damn! What are you afraid of?" "Nothing" I replied...
Kid Shaleen
Novice

Post by Kid Shaleen »

Cheers, will try that on the next batch. They have never bothered with my TPWs, they just seem to love this wash.
Ruddfan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ruddfan »

i just ran this though my still last night although has a very different taste to it it dose not seem to taste like Tequila at all to me but Does taste good and different.like a buttery Taste to it .
Ruddfan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ruddfan »

Ruddfan wrote:i just ran this though my still last night although has a very different taste to it it dose not seem to taste like Tequila at all to me but Does taste good and different.like a buttery Taste to it .
Ok I let it air out for 3 days a week later It is starting to taste like tequila to me it definitely with out a doubt has a tequila after taste and by no means what so ever even resembles rum I wish I could make rum that taste this good my rum is always too hot very good tasting liquor very smooth and easy to drink I suggest this recipe to every one
620rossco
Swill Maker

Post by 620rossco »

Save the lees from the boiler and use them as a basis for your next wash.
I don't think you can build up generations like a whiskey because that would make it go sour.
I have been oaking it for a few days on uncharred oak then adding a little raw agave to sweeten it up slightly.
It won't need much.

I think it is best single distilled with a bubbler, 3 or 4 plates. :D
Ruddfan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ruddfan »

was thinking about oaking it I kinda like it the way it is but i do like a smoky taste I might try some lightly chard oak.I swore after I made this I would not do it again but after sitting a week i love it and I guess it wont do anything but get better.
620rossco
Swill Maker

Post by 620rossco »

Mine is still a little bit harsh, considered carbon filtering it to take the edge off it. I have oaked it added 15ml raw dark agave and stored it for a few weeks for the ABV to drop to about 45%. Very drinkable now but will be really good in 4 weeks.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

I started a batch of this 2 weeks ago and am running it through my de-tuned Boka right now. Just pulled off 100ml of fores and 200ml of 85% ( :esurprised: ). I have the column packed about half full but the valve is wide open. I'm a little surprised I'm pulling that high.

Smells good. We'll see how it goes.
Those who stay...
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

Fresh out of the still, this drink seems to have some real potential. I'll let it air out and see how much of the 1500ml I'll keep.

I also started a 2nd generation using 1.25 gallons of backset, 8lbs of sugar, another bottle of Agave, and pitched EC1118 chanpaign yeast. I got a 1.090 SG which is a lot higher than I was expecting. Hopefully the wine yeast can handle that kind of sugar.
Those who stay...
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

620rossco wrote:Mine is still a little bit harsh, considered carbon filtering it to take the edge off it. I have oaked it added 15ml raw dark agave and stored it for a few weeks for the ABV to drop to about 45%. Very drinkable now but will be really good in 4 weeks.
Hi Rossco

it's a big country , but we come from the same neck of the woods

found a supplier

http://maretaionline.com.au/agave-syrup ... ganic-raw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

looks like two 250ml bottles would make about 1/2 a batch , do not know much it would weigh

do you recommend the dark or the light , or maybe a mix of the two

seeing you made yours about a year ago , how has it aged

does it taste like the real thing

would prefer to go this way , rather than the current essence method

Rod
The Friendly Spirit
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

Has anyone thought about putting the syrup in a pan and putting it on the cold side of your bbq grill and smoking it with mesquite wood for a hr or so.That is more than likely the wood used to cook it with.I just may have to give this a go.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

Not a bad idea.

What I'd really like is to get my hands on some real Blue Agave leaves. I'd like to steam them, smash them, then add them to my fermenter.
W Pappy wrote:Has anyone thought about putting the syrup in a pan and putting it on the cold side of your bbq grill and smoking it with mesquite wood for a hr or so.That is more than likely the wood used to cook it with.I just may have to give this a go.
Those who stay...
scree
Novice

Post by scree »

I received a couple of unsolicited comments attesting to the tequila taste after using raw agave nectar. I'm sure if I had used more nectar, it would have been more intense.
My current wash consists of agave nectar and molasses as well as cacao bean and a few pounds of sugar. It tastes like rum balls at this point.
Bokabob
3" x 6' copper column with lava rock
4" x 12" condenser housing (head) LM
1/4" x 20' double helix style condenser
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

Due51 wrote: I also started a 2nd generation using 1.25 gallons of backset, 8lbs of sugar, another bottle of Agave, and pitched EC1118 chanpaign yeast. I got a 1.090 SG which is a lot higher than I was expecting. Hopefully the wine yeast can handle that kind of sugar.
I started this 2nd Gen on Feb 1 and it's not close to finished. OG 1.090. 3 weeks later and the SG is 1.024. I didn't check the Ph when I started this batch and am wondering if the Ph was too acidic and caused a stall.

I'll give it another week or so.

EDIT: I just checked it again. It's down to 1.012, so it's moving in the right direction. The mash tastes great, by the way. Very smooth with a hint of sweetness and agave. :!: Imagine that. :lol:
Those who stay...