Rogers Tequila recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

aharleycpl
Novice

Rogers Tequila recipe

Post by aharleycpl »

ok.. yes... yes.. tequila has to be made in mexico.. has to be from blah blah blah.. has to be certain percentages of blah blah blah.. Don't really care about their legal definitions.. if it walks like a duck.. quacks like a duck.. swims like a duck and looks like a duck.. must be a duck...

So with that in mind.. here is what I came up with for a cheap Duck that tastes, smells and acts like tequilla. Basically it is a sugar wash that tastes like tequilla. and yes.. again.. it might be mezcal.. it might be none of the above.. but don't really care because it came out tasting good, smelling good, and was pretty cheap.

Ingredients for 5 gallon wash:
Honey Trees organic agave nectar 24.7 oz from the local walmart.. about $5 (it added very little to the sugar content by its self)
white sugar
bread yeast

Heated 4 gallons of water up to 200 degrees.
Stirred in the agave
added sugar to where the wash contained 10% potential alcohol

Added 1 gallon of cold water and let it cool to 80 degrees. Adjusted the sugar content back to just under 10%.

added my yeast and let it ferment for 5 days until the potential alcohol was down to about zero. I could have let it go another day because the yeast was still slightly active but wanted to test it out to see what it would come out like. After 2 days I did pitch in an additional packet of yeast and stirred it because it had appeared to slow down. Noticed with this batch it did not bubble through my air lock but it did continue to ferment fully so let it take its time and finish out. Had very small bubbles being released through most of the process.

Cooked it out, bypassing the thumper with a head temp starting about 180 degrees and kept cooking it out until the output in the catcher was a little over 80 proof. Wanted the flavoring from the wash to get into the batch.

I do not like or drink tequilla.. but the Mrs claims it has great flavor smells good and does the job quite well!
marshrunner757
Swill Maker

Re: Rogers Tequila recipe

Post by marshrunner757 »

Sounds interesting! Just might have to try this.
wfw52
Bootlegger

Post by wfw52 »

I second that , sounds worth trying !! thanks for the recipe .
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

Look for the agave in the pancake section. they have some with the sugar but it was cheaper with the syrup.
steve2md
Swill Maker

Post by steve2md »

FYI, Jose' Cuervo uses lots of sugar in their recipe. You're on the right track for an acceptable tequila replacement. I may try this, but modify it a bit by using more agave and less sugar....
I told the officer "I have my .45 on my hip, a 9mm in the console, and my shotgun under the seat" He said "Damn! What are you afraid of?" "Nothing" I replied...
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

Am soaking some charred white oak in it tonight to give it color and that hint of oak taste. Going to run some through the charcoal filter to see what that does to it.

Also looked today and found a similar agave in the sweetener section made from 100 percent blue agave. Going to run that in the next go around.

Total output from that 5 gallon run was 1.75 gallons of 80 proof.
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

Update... blind taste test from people who like tequila.. Charcoal filtering it takes the bite off it. Charcoal filtering is preferred by far.

Charred oak sitting for a while in the other test jar to see how that affects color and flavor.
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

Another update.. do NOT try coloring it with charred oak. They thought I had mixed whiskey and tequilla.. oops.. wasted half a gallon on that experiment.

Hmmm. what other flavorings to experiment with.
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Post by ipee7ABV »

let it sit for a year and see what wisila tastes like
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

aharleycpl wrote:Am soaking some charred white oak in it tonight to give it color and that hint of oak taste. Going to run some through the charcoal filter to see what that does to it.

Also looked today and found a similar agave in the sweetener section made from 100 percent blue agave. Going to run that in the next go around.

Total output from that 5 gallon run was 1.75 gallons of 80 proof.
No cuts?

(10% of 5 gal = 1/2 gal pure , or 1 gallon of 100 proof)

...or did you miscalculate the sugar?

anyway, I've thought about makin tequila like this before ....might hafta give it a go soon ?
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

Might have gone a little heavy on the sugar...and I ran it out till the output was 80 proof... plus I may have been closer to 6 gallons because I filled the bucket pretty full.. actually had to dump some to give myself a little head room.. One of the bottles I filled too is bout half gallon.. but probably not a full half gallon.. Crystal head vodka skull bottle now has tequila in it... the wifes favorite bottle.

Have a second batch going.. this time with the blue agave extract.. Also going to try coloring it with caramel.. read that several manufacturers give it the color and a little flavoring that way.. figure Toranti's syrup would work for that when I get a chance to pick some up. Will see how that does.

Have had several tequila drinkers taste it by now and they all liked it a lot. Perhaps part of this next batch I will keep the thumper dry but put a lime peel in there to give it a little hint of lime.
tkalfaoglu
Novice

Post by tkalfaoglu »

Would love to make it, but agave syrup is so damn expensive here in Turkey..
Costs like $10 for an 11 ounce container :(
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

Dang. here it was 6 dollars for 22 oz of blue agave that I just picked up.
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

Last time I saw agave syurp it was $9 for a two pack of 32 oz bottles(64 oz total).
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
620rossco
Swill Maker

Post by 620rossco »

Gunna go get some agave syrup and give it a go.
Thanks for the recipe,

Rossco :mrgreen:
3"pot, 3"LM/VM, modular hybrid bubbler.
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Many people have tried this syrup type recipe over the years and no one yet has thought they got a Tequila flavor from Agave syrup. The consensus was that you need the plant for the flavor.
Good luck. I hope you succeed.

It has been on my list to do a pho tequila challenge. There has to be something that will mimic the flavor. Who does figure it out will be immortalized forever in “Tried and True”
:thumbup:
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Kumara (nz sweet potato) season coming up and J. Artichokes growing well - both good sources of Inulin so I'm told - remind me to have a bash in the next school holidays; about 12 weeks from now
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

After this next batch gets done in 2 or 3 more days I will combine what I came up with between the two different runs.. and actually measure things exactly for a third run, use distilled water and even pay attention to the brand of yeast used. Quite possibly the key could be to get a natural ogranic agave like in the first batch or even to avoid the pure blue agave nectar. Should have a better idea after this batch is done though.

I measured but ballparked things first go around because I really didn't expect it to work. This batch is coming out looking similar during the ferment to the first one. Before adding yeast it is a brown colored mix.. during fermentation it turns to a light yellowish similar to just a sugar wash.. then what was left over in the pot after distillation was back to brown color.

mash rookie wrote:Many people have tried this syrup type recipe over the years and no one yet has thought they got a Tequila flavor from Agave syrup. The consensus was that you need the plant for the flavor.
Good luck. I hope you succeed.

It has been on my list to do a pho tequila challenge. There has to be something that will mimic the flavor. Who does figure it out will be immortalized forever in “Tried and True”
:thumbup:
Filago
Novice

Post by Filago »

aharleycpl hey update please I am gonna try this recipie this weekend got some RAW organic blue agave online 2 46 oz. bottles for $20 curious how your last batch came out.
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

Will update tonight... should have the blue agave done late tonight to compare
620rossco
Swill Maker

Post by 620rossco »

Mine is fermenting away ATM, plenty of activity at the airlock.
I used dark agave, there was a lighter option as well. The wash is a really distinctive colour.
My plan is to single run it with a bubble plate (thumper) then try a little of the raw agave to sweeten it a fraction.
MRs comment has me more interested in the outcome than I was.
More than likely gunna end up as vodka, but interested none the less :D

Rossco
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

I kept the thumper dry and cooked it out hot to bring it out at lower proof. the idea there is to bring more flavor out with it vs. ending up with a vodka.
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

Ok.. this last batch with the blue agave came out good. I would normally keep the head temp at 175-177 to start out a batch.. And first batch I did I forgot to pull all the packing out but remembered to take it all out this time. I heated it more and got the starting temp at the head to 185. It ran out great and I kept running it until the head temp rose to 197 then cut it off there. I pitched the first cup or so and mixed all the rest of the run when it was done in one batch. Diluted it slightly to bring it to right at 80 proof. I ran it all through the charcoal filter and moved to the taste test.

The tequila drinkers liked it a lot. Between the first batch and second 2 of 3 preferred the second. I believe it is more how it was distilled vs. the ingredients so have started the next batch.

This next batch is being done so it can be duplicated exactly by anyone. Mixed the components with distilled water and will be taking measurements along the way on a few things.

This mix will be 5 gallons of distilled water, 1 bottle of agave nectar.. not the light stuff.. the darker stuff.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Organic-Agave-Nectar/14150056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow .. 8lbs of sugar.. mixed the components and heated to 140 degrees.. stirring to get it all mixed in and blended together... letting it cool to 80 degrees then will pitch 1/2 cup of breadmaking yeast and let it sit for a few days. Potential alcohol from the mix read right around 11 percent plus or minus one or so.
620rossco
Swill Maker

Post by 620rossco »

I kept the thumper dry and cooked it out hot to bring it out at lower proof. the idea there is to bring more flavor out with it vs. ending up with a vodka.
Sorry I should have said I'll use a pot with a single scrubber to load the plate hopefully 80%-40%.
If it doesn't go to plan I'll run it through one of my columns and strip it.

I used EC 1118 so the abv of mine is likely to be a little higher and it will take a few weeks to finish. It smells good. :D

Rossco
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

Am doing a batch that has twice the amount of agave also to see if it makes any difference. Doubt it will really matter but always willing to experiment.
620rossco
Swill Maker

Post by 620rossco »

Cool I used 1 lire in a 40 liter wash.
I think the amount of agave may be really important.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

I do not like or drink tequilla..
:wtf:

Then why...

Oh, never mind that...

This is not tequila or anything close to it. It is a simple rum. Agave syrup makes for a unique and tasty rum. It has no characteristics or similarity to tequila or mescal at all tho. This thread should be called Rogers agave rum recipe.

My experience is that the dark agave syrups produce a sweeter tasting rum than the light syrups. They have some caramelized sugars that contribute a unique flavor to the distillate.

This thread might have some useful info for those after a tequila like spirit. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=31790 :D
this is the internet
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

You are right.. by definition it is not tequila. In order to meet the definition of it you would need somewhere around 240 oz of agave to come up with a gallon or so of finished product of 51 percent agave tequila.. not particularly practical in most places to come up with that much agave for most people. Then still to meet the true definition of tequila you would have to make it in certain parts of mexico... not very practical for most people either.

What it does come up with is an 80 proof beverage that tastes like tequila... for a reasonable price. Don't see much wrong with that.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

What it does come up with is an 80 proof beverage that tastes like tequila...
Rum,

It should taste like rum. Its a rum recipe.... basically rum ingredients....

You say,
I do not like or drink tequilla..
Then let me explain that that recipe will not produce tequila flavors... it will make a nice rum. I guess thats why you like it :thumbup: it does not taste like tequila. If it does taste like tequila then you should entertain the idea that you've tried really bad tequila. :ebiggrin:
this is the internet
aharleycpl
Novice

Post by aharleycpl »

interesting thought.. but I am not the one tasting it saying it tastes like a decent tequila.. the folks who like tequila are. I personally can not say cause I don't like the store bought or the home made. Doesn't taste like rum.. because I like rum.. tastes too much like tequila to me to enjoy.