Googe's Goo AKA The Kale-Sugar Wash

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Googe's Goo AKA The Kale-Sugar Wash

Post by FullySilenced »

This is a wash under development for use to make a good clean neutral. Kale has lots of vitamins and minerals so no additional support should be needed for the yeast.

Made up 28 gallons of it, but i am gonna call it "Googe's Goo"... blended the kale to juice and used the whole plant in the wash... this wash will make Kermit the Frog jealous, so ifn you don't like green stay away from the Goo.

44 pounds of sugar to 28 gallons plus 1 pound of juiced Kale wash cost of $27.00 us

calculates out to 11.1% wash

added 60 grams of high sg bakers yeast at 95f

IF all goes well it should be rolling in a short while...

Thanks in advance for the Goo Recipe, Googe

FS
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Googe's Goo AKA The Kale-Sugar Wash

Post by FullySilenced »

5 hours after it was put down... It's alive and it's GREEN! Really getting busy.. krausen on top of the wash very active...
jbird1992
Bootlegger

Post by jbird1992 »

Keep us posted I like the idea of no nutrients needed :thumbup:
The only barrier to truth is the assumption you already have it

My Stuff
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36697
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

The Goo has dropped about 10 pts sg wise and has billions of champagne bubbles rising... its running a little warm around 90F. but looks and smells good.

FS
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

24 hours it's dropped a total of 20 pt on the sg scale still chugging along..

FS
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

Tim, this is interesting, so please keep the thread going. Where in the wide wide world would one get Kale?? I have heard of it, but never seen it. I'm going to be interested to see how much Kale comes through.

The Ole Bohunk
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Still working off, is down to 1.040 another 10 pts... was cold last night here wash temp dropped down about 10 degrees .... think it slowed it a little but it's still champagne bubbling away wash is rolling from bottom to top you can see bits an pieces of the kale surfacing... still a krausen present...

FS

.btw wash tastes great....smells good

Kale was purchased at Brookshires your grocer can order it for you if they don't have it in the veggie section
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Bohunk wrote:Tim, this is interesting, so please keep the thread going. Where in the wide wide world would one get Kale?? I have heard of it, but never seen it. I'm going to be interested to see how much Kale comes through.

The Ole Bohunk
Once it's growing it's almost impossible to kill . . .
Jus' saying :D
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Good work fully. Bohunk, ive done about 700-800L of this now, first few tries the kale taste came through, but some trial and error its very good now, very clean.original thread, I need to update! http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... e#p7095048 I do it through lava rock and havnt tried it through normal scrubbers so cant comment on that. I don't know how fully is going to do it?. Very true ftb!, it went crazy in our garden, was about 4 foot high before we decided to pull it all and start again lol.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Wrapped the fermenter and added a oil filled heater in the room... temps up to 90 or so...
Still champagne bubbles and the SG is 1.030, dropping about 10 pts a day still .. tastes sweet kind of a melonish kiwi flavor to the wash...smells great but with little or no smell.

Starting to clear a bit, the krausen is much less and the color is no longer bright green but has fallen a little dull looking and much more transparent/

that's the news...

happy stillin,

FS
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just wrapping my head around this a bit so bare with me.
I am guessing this is an attempt at a non flavored neutral? Also if my quick mental math is correct for just over 5 gallons (which a lot of our members make) the cost is around $5.40.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

FullySilenced wrote:This is a wash under development for use to make a good clean neutral. Kale has lots of vitamins and minerals so no additional support should be needed for the yeast.
That's what this wash cost Bushman... Kale and Sugar...

sugar cost 22 bucks
Kale cost 5 bucks

didn't figure water costs
no labor charge

that's it

If the wash performs and has a good taste profile a good clean neutral ... i will grow my own Kale as it's easy to grow
Last edited by FullySilenced on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Yes, neutral bushman. Is it expensive?, don't know if your saying it's cheap or expensive?.
"Homer J Simpson"
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Still working off, is down to 1.022 ......it's still champagne bubbling away wash is rolling from bottom to top you can still see bits an pieces of the kale surfacing...

FS

wash tastes great still sweet ....smells good no off smells
Last edited by FullySilenced on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

googe wrote:Yes, neutral bushman. Is it expensive?, don't know if your saying it's cheap or expensive?.
Not saying either just trying to compare the price with other recipes we use, no judgement but like I said just trying to wrap my head around a few things! :thumbup:
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Cool bushman :thumbup: , it's probably the cheapest for me cause I grow it, still amazes me how cheap our stuff is!. Now, if I could only grow sugar cane :lol:
"Homer J Simpson"
Ghost
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ghost »

Kale is being grown here in Ga with GREAT success - easy to grow and as said before damn near impossible to kill once you get it going. Going to keep my eye on this one as there is a nursery right down the road from me that is growing this stuff like wildfire and we do a lot of trading out!
Forbidden in Heaven and Useless in Hell ....
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I would really like a final review after distillation as currently most of what I make is whiskey and I save the feints up for an all feints run and that is what I use for my neutral as I run my CM still much differently working toward azeotrope.
jarheadshiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jarheadshiner »

What amount of kale are you using these days since you have had time to fine tune the recipe googe? Thought I read in your original thread that you could use much less than you originally did?
Lead, follow, or get the **** out of the way!
googe
retired

Post by googe »

I did do one where I used about 30g I think it was, tried to do a second gen, it fired well at the start but didn't go very far I don't think, product was down and didn't taste as good as normal. I still use 100g. Inext one I do ill use a juicer and just use juice and no part of the plant material, might be able to use less that way, will see.
"Homer J Simpson"
jarheadshiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jarheadshiner »

googe wrote:I did do one where I used about 30g I think it was, tried to do a second gen, it fired well at the start but didn't go very far I don't think, product was down and didn't taste as good as normal. I still use 100g. Inext one I do ill use a juicer and just use juice and no part of the plant material, might be able to use less that way, will see.
Thanks. Keep us posted on any tweaks/improvements. Gonna have a go at it myself at some point in the near future. Got too many damn recipes on the list and not enough fermenters!
Lead, follow, or get the **** out of the way!
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

SG is still dropping, bubbling away still the small champaigne bubbles....ferment is still rolling up from the bottom and you can see small pieces of kale move up.... as Googe described it like snow in a snow globe..... color is now a dull green rather than vivid green.

Wash is loosing some of the sweetness and now has a tart edge on it as I expected as the SG drops...
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

SG is still dropping, bubbling away still the small champaigne bubbles....ferment is still rolling up from the bottom... BUT HAS SLOWED DRASTICALLY PH HAS DROPPED TO UPPER 4'S OR LOW 5's
But it is still working off

Smell is still clean no off smells, taste is good but getting more tart less sweet...
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

The wash was just taking a 24 hour breather i guess... it back rolling along and dropped about 8 SG points over night... again its like a snow globe with small bits surfacing back to the top...

The only thing i did was to use a spatula and stir the wash up for about 2 minutes moving all the yeasties lying on the bottom back into suspension.

This was done after Googe mentioned to me that he stirs his washes daily... good or bad it seems to have worked in this case...

I am letting this wash take its own course what ever the time required...

FS
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

SuperBowl Halftime wash check its at about 1.002 now and still working
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Yeasties must have enjoyed the superbowl and worked overtime... the wash is at .995 this morning and tastes a hint of sour, nothing intense of excessive. No off smell.

Still bubbling some, want to see just how far it might drop...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

FullySilenced wrote:Yeasties must have enjoyed the superbowl and worked overtime... the wash is at .995 this morning and tastes a hint of sour, nothing intense of excessive. No off smell.

Still bubbling some, want to see just how far it might drop...
Not sure your yeasties enjoyed the Super Bowl but folks around my neck of the woods sure did :D
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

PP, Bushy, Rad.... How low on the SG scale can a wash actually drop down to? I just checked the Goo and it's currently at .991 and still working...

At what point do you call it done with an experimental wash?

BTW this is as low as i have ever got one to work down to...

thanks in advance for anyone's replies,

FS
Last edited by FullySilenced on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

When it stops fermenting. You have to remember when it gets down that low. The alcohol skews the reading. Even though its below 1.000 there may still be fermentables there. The alcohol content may just be making it show under 1.000.
I don't consider anything done till active fermentation is complete. And hasn't shown signs for a day or two.

And it may just be trapped co2. A quick shake more like a good jar. May loosen them up enough it stops.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Workin well fully. Hey pp, how does the alc mess with the reading?, just curious as ive never read about it.
"Homer J Simpson"