need a grain bill that will compare to Jameson

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

1965 wite
Swill Maker

need a grain bill that will compare to Jameson

Post by 1965 wite »

Anybody have a link to a grain bill and mashing instructions for a Jameson Irish whiskey knock off? would like to make something similar and hopefully better.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: need a grain bill that will compare to Jameson

Post by still_stirrin »

The search engine is your friend...use it. But, for starters...here's one:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... n#p6724187
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

AFAIK, Jameson's is pure 100% barley malt recipe (not peated). As far as the blend of various different kinds of barley malt...I have no idea. But, I don't believe that it's got any other adjuncts into it (ie., rye or oats or wheat, etc) The largest difference is it's triple distilled. Aged on oak
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I did a Single Malt last year and have 25 gals of single malt mash going now; it is 100% malted barley, 2#/gal, bakers yeast, stripping run then low and slow spirit run. It spent 2-3 months at 125 proof in a #4 char - 2 use 3 gal cask, then 9 months on glass. I made conservative cuts and bottle proofed at 84 proof. I did several tasting against Jameson's with friends and all found it smoother than Jameson; Jameson's may be triple distilled but, IMHO, it does have a slight "head" bite to it. As mentioned, rather than go buy Jameson's this year I am making another batch and plan on doing it exactly as last year except I did use half the normal amount of low temp enzyme (.18ml) in the mash and ended up with a OG of 1.07 which was a few points higher than last year. It's at 1.00 now and hoping it will go a little lower.

Good luck
BG
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

That sounds delicious, *adds to list of mashes to do*
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
1965 wite
Swill Maker

Post by 1965 wite »

this might be a stupid question but in a bourbon mash you cook corn to release starch then starch gets converted to corn sugar using malts or enzymes correct? so in a single malt where does the starch come from? Im assuming the barley but i don't see where you are cooking the barley to release any starch. A few of the recipes ive read over say to simply add the malted wheat or barley in at mash temp. could someone explain to me how a single malt works.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

You only have to cook grains that have "not" been malted. For grains that have been malted you only need to mash them.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

From Jameson Itself:

Mash bill is a mixture of Unmalted 2-row, Malted 6-row and Corn (called "Maize" by them)
Yeast is a propietary strain that has been with the company for years
Fermentation takes approximately five days from ending of mash to beginning of distillation
Fermentation reaches strength of 13-14% ABV, showing a likely high-ester fermentation with a relatively high pitch rate and probable warm ferment temp.

From there it is aged in American and French barrels for at least three years, but tending towards five.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Usge wrote:You only have to cook grains that have "not" been malted. For grains that have been malted you only need to mash them.
+1
All grains contain starch.
Non-malted raw grains need to be cooked and converted with enzymes from another source, liquid enzymes, other malted grains, etc.
Malted grains do not require cooking, and they contain their own enzymes. They simply need to be soaked at mash temps, and can also be combined with some raw grains to convert their starches as well.
Check out some of the posts on malting grains, and some of the info out there about Diastatic Power.

Posted with MDH. In the recipe he suggests, the enzymes in the malted 6-row is used to convert itself and the unmalted 2-row, and presumably the corn.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
1965 wite
Swill Maker

Post by 1965 wite »

MDH wrote:From Jameson Itself:

Mash bill is a mixture of Unmalted 2-row, Malted 6-row and Corn (called "Maize" by them)
Yeast is a propietary strain that has been with the company for years
Fermentation takes approximately five days from ending of mash to beginning of distillation
Fermentation reaches strength of 13-14% ABV, showing a likely high-ester fermentation with a relatively high pitch rate and probable warm ferment temp.

From there it is aged in American and French barrels for at least three years, but tending towards five.
thank you for your input
1965 wite
Swill Maker

Post by 1965 wite »

Well now i know why they used to call it the "Malt Shop" when you would go get sweets. thanks for your help. it makes way more sense now.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

MDH wrote:From Jameson Itself:
Fermentation reaches strength of 13-14% ABV,
Wow! So they must hit an OG of around 1.100. That's some trick.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

You didn't give them enough credit, MDH. This is on their website.
Maize, another vital ingredient to Jameson Irish Whiskey is also milled into grist along with malted barley, mashed and fermented to create a beer containing 15% alcohol by volume. The beer is then triple distilled in our tall and sophisticated column stills
Make it 1.110 SG.
I wonder how many pounds per gallon they mash.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Hey, ya think they use turbo yeast? HAR!
Maybe that's where the heads bite comes from, eh?

Sorry guys, this is too easy for me. I've never been a fan. I'll try to be properly respectful, now.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Thanks for that actual grain bill MDH. It appears that they use the corn (and malt to convert it) for a separate 2nd distillation process using a column still to make a 15% beer that is distilled to 94+ % in a different (column) still to make a light grain alc for blending back after maturation. Both of the distillations (potstilled malt and column stilled corn/malt) are then aged in a variety of different casks...then blended together and watered to 40%). It appears to me a similar process to making blended scotch (ie., single malt mixed with grain/corn alcohol).
Triple Distillation
TRIPLE POT STILL DISTILLATION
After the fermentation is complete the wash is then pumped to the first of our 3 copper pot stills; the Wash Still. Alcohol boils at a lower temperature than water so by boiling the wash at around 80°C the alcohol vapours rise out of the neck of the still and through a condenser to return back into a liquid. Under the care of the Master Distiller, this process is repeated two more times: one in the Feints Still and again in the Spirit Still until the alcohol by volume is between 80 and 85.5%.

TRIPLE COLUMN STILL DISTILLATION
Maize, another vital ingredient to Jameson Irish Whiskey is also milled into grist along with malted barley, mashed and fermented to create a beer containing 15% alcohol by volume. The beer is then triple distilled in our tall and sophisticated column stills producing a light, delicate and fragrant spirit that is 94.4% ABV.