Ginger Liquour

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Old Gray Dog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ginger Liquour

Post by Old Gray Dog »

92 in Seattle today. I did a spirit run of DWWG a couple of days ago. I love ginger and didn't have any vodka or neutral so made this with a 79% ABV cut of DWWG. Otherwise kept to Jimbo's recipe except used only one cup of sugar. Having it straight on ice now - very refreshing. I expect it will be very good in a martini or a mule. I definately recommend it made with DW. Wife liked it too until I told her it was called Red Headed Stepchild. Now she won't drink it until I name it something else. Sorry Jimbo! My daughter (her step daughter) has red hair and they get along very well. Time for some creative naming.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Hey Jimbo! Making this tonight, just letting it cool down now. Smells fantastic! Let you know how it goes! :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Just mixed it all up....OMG is this stuff good!!! Thanks for a great recipe Jimbo!! :thumbup:
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

How can this be adapted to starting with 100pr/50%?
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

JB, just do some calculations on volume so the water and hooch together make 35-40% at the vol indicated. I been making it at 40% lately so it still has some kick after a cube or 2 melts in it.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

As you said Jimbo, this stuff is addictive! I made 4 375mil bottles and two are gone! :wtf: Very good flavor, making more!
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Bigbob wrote:As you said Jimbo, this stuff is addictive! I made 4 375mil bottles and two are gone! :wtf: Very good flavor, making more!

must have missed it BB. what are you using for a base spirit? sf?
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

No, I had a friend who wanted some neutral to make lemoncello. I used cheap vodka to make that, and the left over I've made the ginger. Also want to save some for walnut palinka, and now some more ginger! :thumbup:
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Bigbob wrote:No, I had a friend who wanted some neutral to make lemoncello. I used cheap vodka to make that, and the left over I've made the ginger. Also want to save some for walnut palinka, and now some more ginger! :thumbup:
gotcha. there is a whole other world of spirit when you have neutral/vodka on hand. ive been doing whiskey and rums. i really need to see the other side. :wave:
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Not to get to off topic but........ When I used 80 proof vodka in my pot still, I ended up with 2qts of 150 proof, 1qt of 140 proof and 1 qt of 120 proof! I still have a bunch of neutral to play with.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Just Chiming in cause I'm sitting in front of my still stripping some 50% peated malt for "scotch style" hooch and I'm bored. Can't wait to try this recipe. I'm not going to be able to make any rice vodka (my favorite), for the base neutral till February. Thanks Jimbo foot all your great recipes and tutorials. They've helped me immensely. Oh and Big Bob if you need any green juglans next year for your Dio Palinka I'll have plenty. It'll cost you a taste of your ginger liqueur. HaHa.
J.C.
Last edited by JellybeanCorncob on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBC
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Deal!!! :thumbup:
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Bigbob wrote:Not to get to off topic but........ When I used 80 proof vodka in my pot still, I ended up with 2qts of 150 proof, 1qt of 140 proof and 1 qt of 120 proof! I still have a bunch of neutral to play with.
ive never actually tried to redistill commercial vodka before.

so this is actually on topic. i wonder what it would be like to distill some commercial shit vodka and use it for a base like you did for this recipe. sure would take alot of work out if. wonder what the results would be after cuts... then it would be on to the ginger aspect from that point.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I'd bet a pot stiller's rice "vodka" would make a great base for ginger likker!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

You know when I set up my keg potstill I also made a 2" boka with 48" of packing so I could make neutral for recipes just like this. Haven't used it since the first time I made UR rice vodka. It's a great base for all recipes that call for neutral spirits. In my newbie opinion.
J.C.
JBC
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

rager wrote:
Bigbob wrote:Not to get to off topic but........ When I used 80 proof vodka in my pot still, I ended up with 2qts of 150 proof, 1qt of 140 proof and 1 qt of 120 proof! I still have a bunch of neutral to play with.
ive never actually tried to redistill commercial vodka before.

so this is actually on topic. i wonder what it would be like to distill some commercial shit vodka and use it for a base like you did for this recipe. sure would take alot of work out if. wonder what the results would be after cuts... then it would be on to the ginger aspect from that point.
I did not have time (or room) to make a wash and run it two or three times thru my still. This was a real timesaver albeit an expensive one. I think I will do it again though, it is a lot easier.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:I'd bet a pot stiller's rice "vodka" would make a great base for ginger likker!
oh mch you are totally right. i had a problem of drinking the rice vodka straight before i could do anything with it :shh: :think: :angel:

so many ferments to make , so little time with a 5 gallon boiler. i really need to upgrade . ug

big bob. im going to actually price out some of the shittiest vodka i can find in the store and see what a couple gallons would cost me and go from there. im not afraid.... :sick:

so it will be a 2 fold experiment, what can shit vodka rerun thru a pot still make, and then ill move back on the ginger liquor.

i love ginger btw. yum
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

You're welcome JBC. Happy to see so many enjoying this recipe. I enjoyed a ginger liquor and 7-up last night. uh... ok, 3 of em.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Gonna mix up some tonight from some xxxuj. Wish me luck now, ill report back in about an hour and a half.

Edited to add:
Ok,finished it up and poured me three fingers over ice,Damn good! Sweet,spicy,and lemony. Awesome.
Then the idea hit me, This would be good in iced tea! I think i discovered a new way to drink tea...
Good recipe.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

I feel kind of privileged. I'm out here on the west coast and live a small drive from Big Bob. We've met a few times and have traded spirits. I just finished a glass of some of his ginger liquor. It's fabulous! I'll be making this soon. I vote for T&T. What a great mix of flavors. Thanks Jumbo, and thank you Big Bob for sharing.
J.C.
JBC
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Weren't nothing! :thumbup:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I missed this thread on the first go around. Sounded good so I looked for recipes in my Homemade Liqueurs and Infused spirits book. Haven't tried it yet but have yet to have a bad drink from this book.

Ginger-Cardamom Mead
1 fifth neutral proofed to 80-100
1 cup finely grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup green cardamom pods, crushed
2 tablespoons dried thyme
1 cup honey

Procedure:
1. Combine the vodka, ginger, cardamom, thyme, and honey in a half-gallon jar. Stir to moisten everything.
2. Seal the jar and put it in a cool dark cabinet until the liquid smells and tastes strongly of ginger and cardamom, 3-5 days.
3. Strain the mixture with a mesh strainer into a clean quart jar. Do not push on the solids to extract more liquid.
4. Seal and store in a cool dark cabinet. Use within 1 year.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

One thing I meant to suggest on the last go round.

I found if you freeze the ginger it makes it a lot easier to grate/chop, less of the tasty juices are wasted.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by buflowing »

Recently ran across this recipe again and just made a trial half recipe for my wife. She's a ginger fiend.

She gave it two thumbs up (even though it's still too sweet for her taste). Said it will be good on the boat this summer.

I used 5/8 cup sugar instead of the originally prescribed 1 cup. Next time (soon) I'll cut it back quite a bit more on the sweetness, working up to what she likes, keeping the abv in balance.

Good recipe Jimbo. This ginger stuff is a bit like gin, in that it will be a lot of fun to play around with quantities and ingredients.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks buflo. It makes a nice mixer Im finding with many things. Cheap and dirty Mule with 7 up and a lime, or mixed with coke or juice or whatever. Even a splash on top of a whiskey neat is nice.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Just finished a batch of this using some panella vodka 1 cup of sugar to 1 quart of neutral, next time I'll do 3/4 to 1 -the panella has so much sweetness. almost over the top but so good :thumbup:
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Having some now!! I agree with old vine, less sugar is better. :thumbup:
Anode Effect
Novice

Post by Anode Effect »

I make this frequently. One thing I've been doing is saving the squeezed ginger and cloves. After I squeeze everything, I put the ginger and cloves into a jar of 150 proof and let it sit.

When I'm ready to make this recipe again, I use this 150 proof mixture. I also use this as a base for a medicinal shine that I make. After using everything twice, I toss it.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

I like it! I used rice vodka and did the original recipe but only used 1 and 3/4 cups of sugar. Quite spicy. I thought maybe too spicy until I poured a shot over some of Oden's rye bread whiskey. What would you call this? I call it fantastic! I tried some of Big Bobs ginger liqueur and it wasn't as spicy as mine. I ran my peeled ginger through a Cuisinart. Could that have made the ginger hotter? One more thing I did was, after straining and squeezing threw some cheese cloth was to cold filter. After doing this the liqueur was clear with a yellow tint, and there was no settling in the bottom of the bottle. I will be using this as a mixer. I think bourbon, rye, wheat, or sweet feed whiskey would all be great mixed with this.
Thanks again Jimbo for another great recipe.
J.B.C.
JBC
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Could you describe the cold filtering method?
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!