All grain oat vodka?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

midlife-u-turn
Bootlegger

Re: All grain oat vodka?

Post by midlife-u-turn »

Did anyone follow through and make some oat vodka? I ended up changing my mind and making a batch of oat whiskey. To the rolled/crimped oats I added some caramel malt and some two row. I wasn't real pleased with my conversion efficiency as I went high on the grain bill and still only got a SG of 1.045. I haven't done my stripping run yet to see what flavors come through.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

I made an oat heavy whiskey, I'm gonna strip it this weekend. I use malted and crimped oats, malted barley and cracked corn, the ferment smells awesome.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

For shits and giggles when I figure out my enzimes suits tin I will try an do an all oat vodka with my new bain marie hybrid boiler when I get it back from pythonshine. We keep making little modifications to the design so it hasn't been finished yet lol.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Opdog »

I know this is an older thread, but I'm bumping it to see if my experience is consistent with others here.

I just did my first all oats mash. I used 33lbs of rolled oats to 15 gallons of water (2.2 lbs per gallon) and enzymes for conversion. I did not grind the oats. Boiled my water, dumped it on my oats, stirred, enzymes in stages with more stirring, then DADY starter at 90.

Everything went more or less fine, but the mash is so thick and slimy that I couldn't get a reliable OG measurement. I typically ferment on the grain, but was very tempted to squeeze and/or lauter this mess and ferment off the grain. Has anyone compared the results from on and off grain ferments with an oats only mash?
I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
aquavita
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by aquavita »

I remember my one and only (so far) Oat adventure - needed to leave waaay more head room for oats. Damn do they make a mess. But are a tasty addition.