Panela goodness

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Panela goodness

Post by nerdybrewer »

Oldvine Zin wrote:Damn I've never been close to an 80% output on my pot :cry: rethinking and a lot more reading on my part :econfused:

OVZ
Not on the first run, but running the second time with maybe a gallon or gallon and half of wash?
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Oldvine Zin wrote:Damn I've never been close to an 80% output on my pot :cry: rethinking and a lot more reading on my part :econfused:

OVZ
It's easy. You just have to follow distilling protocols used by some industrial producers and ignore distilling protocols insisted on by certain internet forums.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

NZChris wrote:

OVZ
It's easy. You just have to follow distilling protocols used by some industrial producers and ignore distilling protocols insisted on by certain internet forums.
Thanks for the (maybe not so) gentle push in the direction of reminding me to think about what I wrote before.

Perhaps I forgot to use this calculator:

http://homedistiller.org/calcs/husker_temp_convert.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

So my readings were off quite a bit due to the high temperature of the distillate coming off the pipe.
Since it's been a day I'll go and measure what I've got out there, I know I'll have to adjust up because the temperature out there is now below 60F.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

nerdybrewer wrote: Not on the first run, but running the second time with maybe a gallon or gallon and half of wash?
:oops: Somehow I was thinking strip run

OVZ
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
nerdybrewer wrote: Not on the first run, but running the second time with maybe a gallon or gallon and half of wash?
:oops: Somehow I was thinking strip run

OVZ
That's ok, not the first mistake on the page... ;)

So the rum in my carboy is 67% when adjusted for temperature.
It has a nice smell and is crystal clear.
I'd like to leave it white in the carboy, no idea how long it needs to age but I figure I'll test every 3 months.
May just do the same with the next batch (the one in the fermenter now)
Heck carboys are way cheaper than barrels anyway!
Gotta sit them in milk crates for protection.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

nerdybrewer wrote: Heck carboys are way cheaper than barrels anyway!

Just tasted some of my panela that's been in a 5 gal barrel since July - going to be good right about Proof of Washington time :)

OVZ
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
nerdybrewer wrote: Heck carboys are way cheaper than barrels anyway!

Just tasted some of my panela that's been in a 5 gal barrel since July - going to be good right about Proof of Washington time :)

OVZ
I've got a batch nearly that old myself in a barrel.
It would be interesting to try them side by side.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

nerdybrewer wrote: It would be interesting to try them side by side.

I think that we will have that chance in a few months
OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

A friend of mine returned from Cuba with a few bottles of Cuban rum, 1,3, and 5 year old. I pulled out enough to make a bottle of 45 abv from my 5 gal barrel of 65 abv almost 1 year old.

His 1 and 3 year not bad but still lots of heads in the mix, the 5 year old the heads were mellow enough but were still there. Guess which one won the tasting ... :D

Love sugar daddy's panela and all the great information that I picked up from this forum.

Thanks everyone
OVZ
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Oldvine Zin wrote:A friend of mine returned from Cuba with a few bottles of Cuban rum, 1,3, and 5 year old. I pulled out enough to make a bottle of 45 abv from my 5 gal barrel of 65 abv almost 1 year old.

His 1 and 3 year not bad but still lots of heads in the mix, the 5 year old the heads were mellow enough but were still there. Guess which one won the tasting ... :D

Love sugar daddy's panela and all the great information that I picked up from this forum.

Thanks everyone
OVZ
Have you aged any white?
I've done all my aging in barrels so far but I'm wondering how this will be if I let it age in glass without any wood at all.
Either I'll find out I should have done it all that way or find out that oak is the best way, either way I guess I'll learn something.
I'll put one gallon away for a year and figure it out, meanwhile I've got some barrels to fill.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

nerdybrewer wrote:
Have you aged any white?
I've done all my aging in barrels so far but I'm wondering how this will be if I let it age in glass without any wood at all.
Either I'll find out I should have done it all that way or find out that oak is the best way, either way I guess I'll learn something.
I'll put one gallon away for a year and figure it out, meanwhile I've got some barrels to fill.
When I was visiting Odin in Amsterdam we toured a 3rd generation distillery and they were aging all of their Genever in barrels at least 30 years old. They just patch any leaks, it allows the alcohol to breath yet too old to release anything from the barrels. I think this is an important consideration when aging white.
Coug95man2
Novice

Post by Coug95man2 »

So the ghost in this group has been me... So sorry but between life and winter, I haven't had the time to start anything. So 150lb of panela has been sitting since December! But today, I started my first panela wash. 25lb of Panela, brought up to 13 gallons of water. A bit "rich" but we'll see. Haven't started a dunder pit yet (I'm going to go get a spare barrel and start a pit with the panela starting right away), so I'm just doing a bare bones wash. got a starting 1.074 SG. pitched 8.5 tablespoons of bakers yeast and within 3 hours, she's a bubbling away.

But the SG, brings a question from me. The SG for rum, has always been questionable. This is due to some of the solids but specifically the ash content in the molasses. So with Panela, will be SG be more accurate? Haven't heard or seen anything on this... Anyone have the knowledge?
"Time flies when your having Rum"
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Coug95man2 wrote:So the ghost in this group has been me... So sorry but between life and winter, I haven't had the time to start anything. So 150lb of panela has been sitting since December! But today, I started my first panela wash. 25lb of Panela, brought up to 13 gallons of water. A bit "rich" but we'll see. Haven't started a dunder pit yet (I'm going to go get a spare barrel and start a pit with the panela starting right away), so I'm just doing a bare bones wash. got a starting 1.074 SG. pitched 8.5 tablespoons of bakers yeast and within 3 hours, she's a bubbling away.

But the SG, brings a question from me. The SG for rum, has always been questionable. This is due to some of the solids but specifically the ash content in the molasses. So with Panela, will be SG be more accurate? Haven't heard or seen anything on this... Anyone have the knowledge?
Everything squeezed out of the cane is in the Panela so yes it will have all sorts of goodies that are not fermentable.
But that doesn't mean they are not good for your rum!!
I generally go with about 2# per gallon so you are right in the ballpark.
Have fun!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Coug95man2
Novice

Post by Coug95man2 »

That makes sense. It's not JUST the ash that messes up the SG and with Panela, like you say, it's the "rawness"... all the extra goodies, that make it so good. Thank you sir!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Ash content on even a distiller's molasses can be as high as 15%

Ash content on panela is like 1.46 to 1.53% based on this:
http://www.ccbolgroup.com/chancacaE.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Coug95man2
Novice

Post by Coug95man2 »

So has anyone used DADY (or Superstart) on Panella? Have a brick that I bought a while back. It's just been sitting because it tends to strip the flavor a bit more and I like flavor... Curious? Anyone?
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Coug95man2 wrote:So has anyone used DADY (or Superstart) on Panella? Have a brick that I bought a while back. It's just been sitting because it tends to strip the flavor a bit more and I like flavor... Curious? Anyone?

We use the panella because.of the flavor.it brings. I wouldn't use a yeast that doesn't add to the flavor if you like a bold flavor.

That being said I haven't used it. I only usually use good old bakers yeast. Adds lots of flavor to the already flavorful mash, and it loves molasses and panella.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Coug95man2
Novice

Post by Coug95man2 »

yakattack wrote:
Coug95man2 wrote:So has anyone used DADY (or Superstart) on Panella? Have a brick that I bought a while back. It's just been sitting because it tends to strip the flavor a bit more and I like flavor... Curious? Anyone?

We use the panella because.of the flavor.it brings. I wouldn't use a yeast that doesn't add to the flavor if you like a bold flavor.

That being said I haven't used it. I only usually use good old bakers yeast. Adds lots of flavor to the already flavorful mash, and it loves molasses and panella.
Agreed. I use Red Star and I've used EC-1118. Both are comparable in the flavor, especially after aging. I opened up my yeast stash and saw the Superstart sitting there... Was just wondering if anyone had used it... I'm pretty tempted to try a small 12 gallon batch, just to see how it goes...
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

By all means give it a try lavallin e 1118 is a very neutral yeast. I wouldn't use that on a rum myself but to each his own. Give it a go. Do a direct side by side comparison and see which you like better. You're making it for yourself so only you can dictate what you make. Keep exact protocols the same. Make one change at a time and take lots of notes. Then you can see first hand the differences changes such as yeast strain and sg can have on the flavour profile of your rum.

All that's before your aging protocol. Yup you just fell down the rabbit hole. Buckle up, it's about to be one fucking hell of a ride.

Yak - no time to say "hello, goodbye" I'm late I'm late I'm late.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Coug95man2
Novice

Post by Coug95man2 »

yakattack wrote:By all means give it a try lavallin e 1118 is a very neutral yeast. I wouldn't use that on a rum myself but to each his own. Give it a go. Do a direct side by side comparison and see which you like better. You're making it for yourself so only you can dictate what you make. Keep exact protocols the same. Make one change at a time and take lots of notes. Then you can see first hand the differences changes such as yeast strain and sg can have on the flavour profile of your rum.

All that's before your aging protocol. Yup you just fell down the rabbit hole. Buckle up, it's about to be one fucking hell of a ride.

Yak - no time to say "hello, goodbye" I'm late I'm late I'm late.
I knew the champaign yeast was fairly neutral but I also age mine with some pretty heavy oak, as well. I tasted very little difference. That was a part of my curiosity with Superstart. I'll mull it around in my head, think about it.

Part of it will depend on when I can get my hands on some more Panela!.... Hint, hint... :lol:
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

My latest sat in the fermenter an extra month.
Loads of fatty stuff floating, covering everything (this had additives like yogurt in it).
Ran two runs today, need to finish in the morning.
One stupid thing I did this time (confession time) was I filled the boiler too full and then when I decided I needed to draw some off I didn't wait for it to cool first.
Liquids expand when heated.
Nursing some sweet abdominal burns tonight.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Nerdy, few years ago a guy on another forum was collecting his backset when it spilt all over his hand. The pictures showed some really nasty burns. Ever since when collecting backset or Dunder I never open my 1" drain valve all the way to prevent splashing. I collect in a 2 quart glass measuring cup then add to my stainless containers to prepare for the following generation run.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Bushman wrote:Nerdy, few years ago a guy on another forum was collecting his backset when it spilt all over his hand. The pictures showed some really nasty burns. Ever since when collecting backset or Dunder I never open my 1" drain valve all the way to prevent splashing. I collect in a 2 quart glass measuring cup then add to my stainless containers to prepare for the following generation run.
Sometimes you learn from others mistakes, that's why I fessed up.
Doesn't pay to be in a hurry.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

fullkeg.jpg
How much Panela does it take to fill a 15 gallon barrel with rum?
A lot!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

carboy1.jpg
Bottled my 1 year old barrel aged Panela rum, to make room in the barrel.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Brought my rum from the Oola once used Bourbon barrel to the 4th celebration at my friends.
Big hit, I poured about 1.5 oz over good pure crushed ice.
I have to say I'm impressed with my own product, so were those I shared it with.
One is a younger guy, I'd say mid 30's who is a great home brewer with roots in moonshine (his dad, granddad and great grandfather made and ran moonshine but he only learned about it on his dad's deathbed).
His only other personal experiences with moonshine were with product that "burned all the way down".
This opened his eyes to a new world, he started asking questions about building his own still.
We also discussed legality and safety.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Man, we need an East Coast panela buy, you PNWers are hogging all the good sugar.

I found 10lb blocks of Jaggery in an Indian grocery near the office, but it's not very clean and OMG did my last wash go south on me.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

When I visited Leavenworth Washington in October I picked up a bag of blocks that have been cut from used wine barrels.
One side is very red.
I'm going to drop some of them into the rum in the 15 gallon barrel, I figure there's probably enough space in there after nearly 6 months aging.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Coug95man2
Novice

Post by Coug95man2 »

nerdybrewer wrote:When I visited Leavenworth Washington in October I picked up a bag of blocks that have been cut from used wine barrels.
One side is very red.
I'm going to drop some of them into the rum in the 15 gallon barrel, I figure there's probably enough space in there after nearly 6 months aging.
I've done something similar. Only I aged my staves in wine. Now, I submerged them, they weren't a part of a barrel (only a portion of the wood being exposed to the wine) and only after a month I put them in a half gallon jar of 120proof. At the 5 month mark, I snuck my first sip and holy wowzers. Smoooooooooth. Much stronger wine flavor than I anticipated, as I pointed out they were submerged and I put 2 staves in, which was probably too much. It had a clear red tint to it and it also had an odd aftertaste. Nothing extraordinarily bad but was there. BUT WOW. I'm going to leave it for another month or so, proof it down and then see what we've got. But I liked the direction and flavor... and I don't like wine!

I never tasted the 120 proof. It's dangerously delicious.
Sourwood
Novice

Post by Sourwood »

raketemensch wrote:Man, we need an East Coast panela buy, you PNWers are hogging all the good sugar.

I found 10lb blocks of Jaggery in an Indian grocery near the office, but it's not very clean and OMG did my last wash go south on me.

You're not lying at all. I'd be interested.