Panela goodness

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Panela goodness

Post by yakattack »

*standing ovation*
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Badmotivator wrote:Report: Straight Panela vs. Panela Inocculated with Live Dunder

Batch 1: 20 lbs panela in 10 gal water
Batch 2: 20 lbs panela in 10 gal water + 2 gal live dunder added when potential alcohol read 2%

My live dunder is panela stillage to which I added:
  • A handful of panela
  • yeast to consume the oxygen
  • Clostridium Butyricum probiotic tablets
  • Lactobacillus (from live yogurt)
  • Propionibacterium (from grated Emmentaler cheese)
  • Acetobacter (from sourdough starter)
  • a chunk of marble to prevent low pH
Both batches were distilled once with four plates. Both batches were in full reflux for one hour to promote esterification. Was there esterification? On Batch 2, hell yes!

Batch 1 was a pretty basic sugar wash story. Flavor was about what you'd expect... a little mild panela note here or there, a lot of sharpness and fusels and raw distillate character. Typical. A little hot, kind of raw, sort of boring.
Batch 2 (collected in 24 jars) had shocking estery pineapple flavors in jars 2-5, but 5 also tasted kinda pukey. Nice tasting hearts through jar 18. Jars 19-22 were cloudy tails. Jars 23 and 24 had very little tailsiness, but an interesting fatty round body so I kept them. My "take" was a little larger because of these jars. Maybe Batch 1 had them also but I didn't look for them. Whoops.

I am fully satisfied that a] Live dunder is worth doing, b] Arroyo was right about the fifth section (Fores-Heads-Hearts-Tails-Oils or whatever) and c] I'm going to need a lot more barrels.
So glad I started my dunder pit now :-) Thanks BadMo.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Excellent writeup BadMo, great info thanks!
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
twowheels
Novice

Post by twowheels »

Badmotivator wrote:Report: Straight Panela vs. Panela Inocculated with Live Dunder

I am fully satisfied that a] Live dunder is worth doing, b] Arroyo was right about the fifth section (Fores-Heads-Hearts-Tails-Oils or whatever) and c] I'm going to need a lot more barrels.
Badmo -
Can you point me towards the source for your Arroyo reference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two Wheels
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

twowheels wrote: Badmo -
Can you point me towards the source for your Arroyo reference?
https://www.bostonapothecary.com/wp-con ... Arroyo.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

For the bit about the five fractions, go to the second page of the article and start with the paragraph that begins: "The fractional distillation is carried out..."

I found it on this page, full of papers written by Arroyo: https://www.bostonapothecary.com/rafael ... rs-on-rum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

That's a lot of homework.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Thank you badmoti,
just downloaded 26 pdfs from Arroyo. :crazy:
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just picked up my back order of 80 lbs of Black Strap so can start my rum today.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I'm on board, I added:

S. Thermophilus
L. Bulgaricus
L. Acidophilus
Bifidus
L. Casei

To my live dunder with yeast.
It's going to be interesting, I guess I need to give this a while to grow.
I'm planning on another 50 to 60 gallon batch with 100# Panela, it would be cool if I get some great flavors out of this experiment.

Batch 1: 20 lbs panela in 10 gal water
Batch 2: 20 lbs panela in 10 gal water + 2 gal live dunder added when potential alcohol read 2%

My live dunder is panela stillage to which I added:
  • A handful of panela
  • yeast to consume the oxygen
  • Clostridium Butyricum probiotic tablets
  • Lactobacillus (from live yogurt)
  • Propionibacterium (from grated Emmentaler cheese)
  • Acetobacter (from sourdough starter)
  • a chunk of marble to prevent low pH
Both batches were distilled once with four plates. Both batches were in full reflux for one hour to promote esterification. Was there esterification? On Batch 2, hell yes!

Batch 1 was a pretty basic sugar wash story. Flavor was about what you'd expect... a little mild panela note here or there, a lot of sharpness and fusels and raw distillate character. Typical. A little hot, kind of raw, sort of boring.
Batch 2 (collected in 24 jars) had shocking estery pineapple flavors in jars 2-5, but 5 also tasted kinda pukey. Nice tasting hearts through jar 18. Jars 19-22 were cloudy tails. Jars 23 and 24 had very little tailsiness, but an interesting fatty round body so I kept them. My "take" was a little larger because of these jars. Maybe Batch 1 had them also but I didn't look for them. Whoops.

Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

That really seems like a huge amount to make when trying something new.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Bushman wrote:That really seems like a huge amount to make when trying something new.
I guess I'm just really jazzed by what BadMo wrote and want to jump in with both feet, tail and all, like is usual for me.
I'll watch it over the next couple weeks and see what I think, then if I like what I see & smell I'll start up a batch.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Mad Mo thank's for those links, now I've really fallen down the rabbit hole. Have you found the discussion on Pombe yeast?
https://www.bostonapothecary.com/team-p ... -olympiad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Maybe wen it gets warmer here - more experiments

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

nerdybrewer wrote:
Bushman wrote:That really seems like a huge amount to make when trying something new.
I guess I'm just really jazzed by what BadMo wrote and want to jump in with both feet, tail and all, like is usual for me.
I'll watch it over the next couple weeks and see what I think, then if I like what I see & smell I'll start up a batch.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
OVZ
AK49ER
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Down a 200 mile gravel road last homestead on the left

Post by AK49ER »

So , How is everyone running this panala ? I have been running it on 2 sieve plates and one bubble cap plate. I like the flavor carry over with this approach it has a strong panala flavor i guess is the word I'm looking for, tried it with 5 plates and 4 plates but i like the first the best,haven't run it in the pot yet.
AK49er
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

My last keeper batch I ran through my pot, a strip and a .5 run really brought the panela goodness. Previous runs through the flute were also good but lacking some of that goodness.

OVZ
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

AK49ER wrote:So , How is everyone running this panala ? I have been running it on 2 sieve plates and one bubble cap plate. I like the flavor carry over with this approach it has a strong panala flavor i guess is the word I'm looking for, tried it with 5 plates and 4 plates but i like the first the best,haven't run it in the pot yet.
I can only answer for me.
Simple pot still, keg boiler on a propane Cajun cooker.
My column is 2" copper 24" long angling (and reducing) down with a 36" long liebig that's 3/4" over 1/2".
I do stripping runs of all but a little of my rum wash then a spirit run where I use some fresh wash in the boiler with all the stripped liquor.
I cut out fairly hefty forshots and save them to light my BBQ and then some heads that will eventually get run again sometime in the future and then run down to where I'm getting rum oil in the last gallon of the run and it all goes in the barrel.
Like my signature says....
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Oldvine Zin wrote:Mad Mo thank's for those links, now I've really fallen down the rabbit hole. Have you found the discussion on Pombe yeast?
https://www.bostonapothecary.com/team-p ... -olympiad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Maybe wen it gets warmer here - more experiments

OVZ
Yup. Sign me up if you can find a reasonable source for a Pombe that has been selected for good results in rum. From my reading there is no commercially available rum S. Pombe.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Badmotivator wrote: Yup. Sign me up if you can find a reasonable source for a Pombe that has been selected for good results in rum. From my reading there is no commercially available rum S. Pombe.
Maybe a trip trip Jamaica ??

OVZ
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Yesterday I had to open my fermentation cabinet even without the heat the cabinet was at 39 C from the fermenters. I haven't always checked it the first few hours but this batch really took off!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I use an STC=1000 controller when doing any type of rum because they control both heating and cooling. Especially in summer here, it pays to have a fan plugged into a controller and pointed at the fermenter in case the temperature gets out of hand while you have your back turned.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

My controller will also accommodate a fan, I just never saw the need before to hook it up. Below is a link to my set-up.
Aquarium Temperature Controller
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I hadn't thought about using a cooling controller, I've never had a ferment that got too hot due to something other than a malfunctioning heating system.
I used a Sous Vide controller but found out it's only rated for indoor use.
Then I got the Ink Bird but only for heating.
It is rated for outdoor use and can get wet and works to well below zero F.
If I find I need a cooling solution in the future I can get one, but I think this will work for me much better than the other things I have tried.
I've only done one ferment with it, I found that I had the temperature probe located too close to the heating element so the bulk of the wash was staying too cold.
After I moved it farther away by 12" everything worked much better.
Ink Bird controller with titanium aquarium heater in test mode
Ink Bird controller with titanium aquarium heater in test mode
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

nerdybrewer wrote:I've only done one ferment with it, I found that I had the temperature probe located too close to the heating element so the bulk of the wash was staying too cold.
Check the temperature at the bottom of the fermenter. I tried an aquarium heater and the convection current did not heat the bottom.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

NZChris wrote:
nerdybrewer wrote:I've only done one ferment with it, I found that I had the temperature probe located too close to the heating element so the bulk of the wash was staying too cold.
Check the temperature at the bottom of the fermenter. I tried an aquarium heater and the convection current did not heat the bottom.
I just bought a lower flow submersible pump to drop into the ferment so the wash or mash will keep moving.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

nerdybrewer wrote: I just bought a lower flow submersible pump to drop into the ferment so the wash or mash will keep moving.
Hey, that could be a good way to keep the wash de-gassed and keep the yeast in suspension. I'm keen to hear if you think it improves or speeds up fermentation.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Great idea. What did you buy?
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

NZChris wrote:Great idea. What did you buy?
My plan at the moment is to have it come on whenever the heating element is on, experience may end up changing my plan.

Odyssea EX Powerhead Water Pump Submersible
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016V9Q1AG

Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

nerdybrewer wrote:[

My plan at the moment is to have it come on whenever the heating element is on, experience may end up changing my plan.
I would try putting the temp probe near the pump.

OVZ
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
nerdybrewer wrote:[

I would try putting the temp probe near the pump.

OVZ
That's good thinking OVZ! I'll do that for sure!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

It turns out that I own a small submersible pump. I have never used it. I put mine in my 22 gallon panela ferment, and threw in one medium size catfish for good measure.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Badmotivator wrote:It turns out that I own a small submersible pump. I have never used it. I put mine in my 22 gallon panela ferment, and threw in one medium size catfish for good measure.
Live?
Cranky's spoonfeeding: