Need A Rum Experts Advice

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Re: Need A Rum Experts Advice

Post by Rain Distillate »

jimsgins wrote:Reading through the dunder chat a few pages back - whats the longest any of you have kept a dunder?

Mines gong on 3 weeks.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Saltbush Bill wrote:I cant see any reason to add dried fruit, spices or anything else to well made Rum. Plenty of time on toasted American or French Oak is all that it needs.
Matter of taste. I don't do all my rum that way. But the wife really enjoys it as do a lot of others. I'm not a huge rum fan to begin with, but I do like this stuff. I also keep some hookrum that I make white, and of course age some longer on oak. Variety! But we all have our own preference. Mine is whiskey.
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

Saltbush Bill wrote:I cant see any reason to add dried fruit, spices or anything else to well made Rum. Plenty of time on toasted American or French Oak is all that it needs.
I think a lot of us enjoy the creative process and experimentation. Why limit ourselves to staples?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Post by Rain Distillate »

I've had 5 Gallons of rum dunder set aside and going since early summer. I'm hoping it looks/smells good when I finally decide to pop it open in the spring. Its been in the garage for roughly 8 months now and I only opened it once after about a month because my curiosity had kicked in. I have a spigot on bottom of the bucket, so I don't even have to disturb the top layer of yuck when draining the dunder for use. Very Excited! My only concern is the low temps keeping needed bacterial growth from occurring when and at speeds its supposed to grow and change at. I guess only time will tell. None the less I'm still excited.
Cheers,
Rain
alohashine
Novice

Post by alohashine »

rain distillate wrote:Yes its an antifoaming agent I can't remember exactly what it was.
Fermcap. I've used it in many homebrewed beers to reduce giant krausen, or big foaming heads in beer. A couple drops in a 20 L wash will prevent any mess if you're the type that needs lids and airlocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willee
Novice

Where to buy Panela ??

Post by willee »

I see Amazon sells Panela but for $7 per pound I would be better off just going to the liquor store and buying rum by the bottle.
Where can I buy Panela in bulk for a reasonable price?
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Where to buy Panela ??

Post by nerdybrewer »

willee wrote:I see Amazon sells Panela but for $7 per pound I would be better off just going to the liquor store and buying rum by the bottle.
Here in the northwest we have been participating in Panela Group Buys.
We order a large amount from Sugar Daddy and get a much better price, then when it's delivered to a central point everyone comes and picks theirs up.
Maybe you could get together with some others in your area and do the same?
Maybe you are in an area where it's already being done?
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Where to buy Panela ??

Post by Badmotivator »

willee wrote:I see Amazon sells Panela but for $7 per pound I would be better off just going to the liquor store and buying rum by the bottle.
Group buys are great, but you can do better than $7/lb from Amazon for retail. Still Dragon: http://stilldragon.com/index.php/fermentables.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow