Date Syrup Rum

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Date Syrup Rum

Post by Odin »

This Basra Date Syrup has been in our household for the last year or so. It's like a spread you can put on sandwiches. And it goes very well together with Gouda cheese as well. What it is? A syrup made from dates. And is tastes and smells delicious, and my gut feeling tells me there is something akin to rum (taste wise) that can be made from this. So that's what Iwill try to get going. A small ferment. Maybe like this:

- 10 pots at 450 grams each = 4.5 kilo's;
- Add 30 degrees warm water to get to a total of 20 liters;
- Add a little yeast nutrients;
- Add 15 grams of baker's yeast.

Should ferment dry at around 9%. I'll double distill it afterwards, or maybe go for a 1.5 approach, where I mix one portion of low wines with fresh wash and do a finishing run on that.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_1105.JPG
IMG_1104.JPG
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
jimsgins
Novice

Re: Date Syrup Rum

Post by jimsgins »

Intriguing...
as82
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by as82 »

Yes, interesting.

I tried to do a rum with sugar beet syrup.(Zuckerrübensirup - popular spread in northern Germany)
Didnt turn out as good as i hoped. came to the conclusion that I'd have to come up with something that has more aroma... date syrup sounds like a good idea to me.
Keep us updated.

Btw. is there a supermaket chain in the Netherlands that sells this stuff?

Regards
Andy
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks for sharing Andy, yes, beet sugar does not generate a very drinkable product. Lets see if dades are better!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
jimsgins
Novice

Post by jimsgins »

When do you expect you'll have a finished product?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Probably in two months from now, since I leave for Utah tomorrow and then visit Scotland. After that there's a big whisky festival in The Hague where i will be distilling. Week after that is cramped with 4 or 5 distilleries coming over for visits. So, yes, the will is there to start this asap, but the time is lacking, I am affraid ...

Odin.
craftsman
Novice

Post by craftsman »

I'm wondering if you boil dates like you would dried prunes,would you be able to make yer own syrup? I have done that with other fruit and produced a nice volume of syrup. I am afraid to try dates, since they are not native or domestic fruit, and they are a little pricey. If you or any one else has tried that with dates, maybe you could share the outcome.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

I recently distilled fermented dates. Washed them, then mixed them with a bit boiling water. When cooled down to 40°C, I added pectinase and mashed it with an immersion blender. Then I diluted it, a bit nutes, pH, yeast.
But the result is not very interesting. A vague dried fruit taste. It was my second try with dried fruits. The first was currants/raisins. This was better, but also not a favourite. For me it looks that fruits have lost much aroma during the drying. They taste so aromatic only because they are very sweet. And dates have that special pleasant mouthfeel, but the aroma alone without the mouthfeel is not enough for an identifiable brandy.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
craftsman
Novice

Post by craftsman »

I wonder der wo if maybe another fruit selection to add with the dates might enhance the brandy production, but allow the sweetness of the dates to be strongly detected. I know, that I often do this with fruit combinations such as red raspberries and peaches, or blackberry and banana. I am vaguely familiar with dried dates and only this time of year because availability is determined by folks making Christmas cookies. The date mix/syrup that Odin mentioned must only be available in his locale.

I always like to experiment with different fruit. As I mentioned previously , prunes and (raisins) can be hydrated and boiled to produce a nice thick full bodied syrup. If I make enough syrup to do 6-gallons, I can produce a nice product as can many others. However, Odin raised my curiosity about dates, and wondered if hydration and boiling dried dates would produce the same effect that I would expect with other dried fruit.
In a round about way der wo i think my question might have been answered as you described distilling fermented dates. I may have to take the same route instead of trying to produce a syrup.
jimsgins
Novice

Post by jimsgins »

How did this turn out Odin? Hoping its still aging nicely somewhere