George Washington's Whiskey- Video

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

donpelon
Novice

George Washington's Whiskey- Video

Post by donpelon »

This is a great video I just found of how Washington made his Bourbon back in the late 1700's at Mt. Vernon. Not an exact grain bill per se (I think that's been posted before), but a VERY CLEAR demonstration of how whiskey was made before the use of thermometers and hydrometers. For those mystified by the process of extracting starches from corn and rye, and then how malted barley affects the gelatinization process, give this short video a watch. Very informative!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncGsjTRQJPw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: George Washington's Whiskey- Video

Post by Pikey »

Good to see where we started and to realise that it really isn't so hard.

I'd have liked to see some removal of fores - but hell teh commercial boys even now don't do that do they ?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Pikey wrote:...I'd have liked to see some removal of fores - but hell teh commercial boys even now don't do that, do they ?
When I toured Jack Daniels distillery, they did pull a foreshots sample at the start of the run. But, they didn't cut heads or tails. It all went through the 15 foot deep charcoal filter before going to the rack house for kegging.

Ironically, they use the collected foreshots to light the stacks of wood in the rick yard...where they make their own charcoal.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Washington distilled Rye, not Bourbon. His grain bill is said to be

60% rye, 35% corn and 5% malted barley. Been looking
for raw rye to do a run this spring.

BG
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

boda getta wrote:Washington distilled Rye, not Bourbon. His grain bill is said to be

BG
Here ya go Boda, http://shop.honeyville.com/whole-grain-rye.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I've purchased corn from them before and I'm thinking about getting a bag of rye as well. Should work nicely with enzymes.
Ryewhiskey1995
Novice

Post by Ryewhiskey1995 »

I'm thinking about 65% corn, 35% Rye, 5% malted barley. Or at least close to that. My best batch ever was a corn batch made on top of a weak 100% rye.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Snackson

Thanks for the link, that the best shipping cost I've seen. Think I'm going to grab 50#.

BG
Aussiedownunder01
Bootlegger

Post by Aussiedownunder01 »

Great video one thing the was they put in looks like porridge doesn't that burn onto the bottom of the still
FranklinNewhart
Novice

Post by FranklinNewhart »

boda getta wrote:Washington distilled Rye, not Bourbon. His grain bill is said to be

BG
I have wondered about this. It doesn't seem to me that 5 Lbs of malted Barley would convert 60 Lbs of Rye plus 35 Lbs of Corn unless the Rye is malted as well. I have read the recipe and it points out that it is Indian Corn. I happen to be a Mohawk Indian and I am aware of this corn. It is a particulary starchy white flour corn. It is normally used to make Lyed Corn Soup. Yes I said Lye. It takes Lye to break it down and turn it into an edible food. Just like Hominy Grits. It was probably likely that they where malting this corn as well. It would only make sence considering the fact that it this particular corn is not high in sugar but almost completely starch.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

That was 5% malted barley; still may a little light on malt. I intend to use enzymes when I run my batch this Spring and do anything I can to keep it from foaming.

BG
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

A relate question: Is they any indication that enzymes reduces the foaming when running rye?

BG