Macerating timing

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

farnientespirits
Novice

Macerating timing

Post by farnientespirits »

Hello all. Im making an aperitif right now, channeling Campari/Bruto Americano/Cappelletti. MY question is about fresh citrus zest. How long should I plan on macerating it? The entire time? Half the time? I read on the Industry City Distillery's website that they microplane the zest and only let it wash in 190 proof spirit for a few minutes.

Im also adding a bitter tree bark, and have read that macerating it in high proof alcohol can pull out undesirable flavors (??). Can anyone advise me on this?

Thanks for the help!
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Macerating timing

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I only have experience with Absinthe, Gin and herbal tinctures, but the principal is still the same. Plant bark and roots can be left to soak longer, because the alcohol takes longer to penetrate these and capture the flavor/medical components. Flowers, stems, leaves and fruit take considerably less time because the alcohol can penetrate these quickly and easily. With citrus skins/zest, it's the same. A tremendous amount of the oils that contain the flavor in citrus skins, can be extracted very quickly, overpoweringly so. The key to getting it right is the TERRIBLE task of having to sample the maceration often, probably several times a day. It's one of the hard chores we have to do in the hobby...Oh the humanity !
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Bushman
Admin

Re: Macerating timing

Post by Bushman »

On regular vodka drinks 80-100 proof they recommend 2-3 days. On a side note I also use a microplane. I have tried other tools made for taking off the pith but found the microplane much easier and faster to use. Masceration is a common term, I call it Tincturing.
Back to your question as mentioned different ingredients take more or less time to infuse their flavors into an alcohol base. The time depends on several things:
  • The percent of alcohol
    The concentration of the flavor components in the blend
    How volatile the flavor components are
Drier ingredients like dehydrated fruits, herbs, and dried spices have more concentrated flavoring due to the fact that their water content has been reduced. Fresh they contain up to 60% less flavor molecules by weight. So adding them fresh they take longer to fully flavor an alcohol base.

If the flavoring component is volatile then it disperses more easily than others. You will notice these ingredients smell more intense than others. Example would be a cracked cinnamon stick or a vanilla bean that has been split. These items will disperse their flavor in a bottle within 24 hours. Black pepper and horseradish are examples of ingredients that can flavor vodka in just a few hours.

Best way to know for sure is as Kiwi Bruce suggests by sampling product on an on going basis.