Do you want to promote Honey Bear Bourbon to Tried and True

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: Do you want to promote Honey Bear Bourbon to Tried and T

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Der wo, there ain't no love lost between us. I got mad respect for you and your contributions to this site. The written tone is hard to grasp, especially mine :lol: . I don't usually say much until I have something to say, but it don't mean only cause I'm offended. It wasn't written directly at you, there have been other conversations not documented here.

I wrote the above with a jolly prospective, I hope it didn't come across pissed. I've just seen more back and forth about this than I ever have seen from another recipe. I do wonder why this one seemed to cause so much discussion, when it's normally an easy and enjoyable experience to see a recipe recommended and adopted into the tried and true. Just figured my perspective should be laid out, what with so much speculating around it.

I appreciate all the nods given from the different members, and respect the views of others that question it. Just rather people enjoy it, than debate over it. Kinda takes the magic out of the whole thing, I feel. :oops:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
japsinok
Bootlegger

Post by japsinok »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Kinda takes the magic out of the whole thing, I feel. :oops:
SCD, I know that I am still new here, with buck private status, and I was going back and forth with der wo about the relative difference in importance of "corn cooking" styles. I hope I did not leave an impression that I was questioning the value of your HBB recipe with respect to other T&T bourbons. I have made numerous batches of UJSSM over the past several years and have only just begun with AG mashing. While I am working on NChooch's for my first AG, I already plan a HBB for the next attempt, so am doing the background before getting started. That's why I questioned the corn cook aspect, since I have gotten consistent results the way I'm doing it, and wonder if there would be significant differences in the hour cook vs your way. I'm sure that is a very small point not worth discussion for many on the forum. I genuinely want to gain a breadth of experience so that means thinking about even slightly different ways of doing things and weighing the importance of the differences. And there is such a wealth of knowledge here, with folks far more knowledgeable than I will ever be about mashing and distilling. I apologize if I left the wrong impression.

In my day job I write and submit manuscripts to science journals for blind peer review of ongoing research in my lab. So when I get back reviews (that are almost always harsh), there is no way to know who has provided a critique of the work. It's easy to forget that on this forum we are critiquing someone's creativity that is visible to all, including the original developer such as yourself. And it's easy to forget that the OP may be watching in the background, letting things play out to see where it goes. But that is also the beauty of what you have created: HBB has already taken on a life of its own!! So I disagree with your final statement above. You have in fact done something magical. You have given birth to something original because you had an idea about specialty grains and took the next step of figuring out what how to make it work. Then posted it for anyone to try. And so whether or not Honey Bear makes it to T&T, it has obviously established itself clearly as a favorite of quite a lot of people. It's certainly next up for me.

As I said above, I recognize I am but a novice. I just wanted to say that I have been inspired by what you have done here. It's a pleasure to read and learn from other's experience and then try to apply that to my own experience. I already have questions on the importance of malt differences (and possible substitutions) but will save that for another post.
Just another pot stiller
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

SCD,
yes of course, it is obvious, that there were other conversations around, which I don't know. And the written tone is hard to grasp, yes, especially for me.
Strange things are happening here the last weeks.
So I will stop here, let's the magic of HBB grow again. :thumbup:
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Japsinok, your perspective is just as valid as anyone else. If you want to start a thread that compares different corn cooking benefits and the results, that would be a nice one for everyone to contribute. This probably isn't the thread, though. Cuginogrizzo wanted a thread to talk about experiences with it, and Tater asked the question, who else has tried it. That's where this thread should probably go.

On a on topic side note, you should read up on Jimbo's Recipe. This was the biggest contribution to my process and getting me to all grain. Every new bourbon maker should read and understand this recipe regardless if HBB is the first one they try. Some may say my method is different because the water goes in the corn instead of the other way around, but I don't think it's all that different. That's why I figure this particular thread should stay on the course it was intended for.

I'll look for you in the Bear's den when you're ready to give it a shot :thumbup: Then you can come back here and tell us what you think of it :clap: . Gloves off review :lol:
der wo wrote: Let's the magic of HBB grow again. :thumbup:
I agree. :lol: No worries, though, ultimately just more publicity for the Bear :lol: .
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."