Rhubarb/Brown sugar

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Rhubarb/Brown sugar

Post by bentstick »

I have been asked to post a recipe I have made about 4 times seems to be a ok drop and as most of my makings I have kept it white,but will be trying it oaked also.

So any way I know someone that has OBA Rhubarb patch and did not seem to mind if I took a few stalks 80 lbs/35.6 kg of the stuff who would of thunk i would be carting that much home in one shot!(wife thought I was was nuts) maybe? :confusion-shrug:

Well for my brain fart!
Chop Rhubarb stalks into 1-2"/25.4-50.8 mm pcs and freeze pked in 20 lbs/9.1 kg bags

For ferment
Heated 10 gals/37.9 liters of water with 5.2 stabilizer added to 200f with steam generator,after heating with steam generator end up with 12-13 gals/45.4-49.2 liters

Added 20 lbs/9.1 kg of frozen Rhubarb to heated water and cook for 1-1.5 hrs or until soft

Mix and beat with mortar mixer until its starts breaking down into a stingy mess

Add 15 lbs/6.8 kg of Brown sugar

Mix and beat some to dissolve all brown sugar and Rhubarb is broken up

Add enough cool water to bring up to 20 gal/75.7 liters total,if not cooled to pitch temp just wait until it is

Pitch yeast (I used Bakers) because of the brown sugar

OG was 1.045 and PH was around 4.9 ( only reason ) for testing PH which I only do with a new recipe or something that is known to be bitter or acidic

It finished or I called it finished at .998

After fermentation is done clean off the nasty dark green cap of Rhubarb off the top and toss it,My wash was very surprisingly clean once the Cap was out

I distilled this in a 5 perf plate column and was plenty of flavor carried with it, running fast it turned out with a good but very different flavor

I have enjoyed the drop enough that there was another load of Rhubarb delivered in Aug of last yr,enough for 2 more runs, still have one more to go.

When and if it is available again I will getting as much as available,unless the grower decides to keep it for himself,he is also a hobbyist.
It is what you make it
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Rhubarb/Brown sugar

Post by StillerBoy »

Bentsick.. if one were to scale it down to 6 gal batch, would be doable in your view..

And how much of a cap during fementation..
bentstick wrote:I distilled this in a 5 perf plate column and was plenty of flavor carried with it, running fast it turned out with a good but very different flavor
What rate of distillation were the runs done at.. I have a 3 plate to work with..

I have quite a patch of rhubarb available, with lots going to waste.. so I very interested in trying it, but on a smaller size batch as that's all the room I have..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

@ stillboy

Do not see why it can't be scaled back.

Cap is about 3-4"/76-100 mm thick.

3 plates shall work fine,i would assume ya may get more flavor,times are or where not recorded or take off was not time, but ran close to normal so I would guess about 400 ml about 8 mins
It is what you make it
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Thanks bent, I will be keeping my eyes out for rhubarb patches now :)

Hmm strabery rhubarb panty dropper in the mean time sounds delicious.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Thanks bent... I've scaled the recipe for 6 gal, now I have to wait for June to arrive..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

What does this taste like? Seems like sort of a rhubarb rum? This interests me since I have a bunch of rhubarb growing.
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

It has a hint of the Rhubarb smell and taste but not as if you where eating it,as I have claimed before I am not one for long drawn out descriptions of tastes of stuff I make it is just one thing I have never been able to do!

As far as a Rhubarb flavor Rum you maybe able to call it that(technically),but my Rums are all molasses no sugar added,so here at my house it dont qualify as such, to light on flavor.
It is what you make it