Corn recipe?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

Corn recipe?

Post by Bavis54 »

Hi guys, I saw YouTube vid other day that showed a corn recipe, the guy used 5 lbs yellow corn meal, 1 lb bag dried mixed fruit, 3 lbs sugar, and water,
First he heated water to 190, stirred in corn meal and cooked til it was gooey and absorbed the water, then he cooled to 150 and stirred in two packs of amalyse extract to convert sugars in corn, after cooking that til it was thin -he used seperate pot and heated water to 150 and added sugar and fruit, he then combined the corn meal mix and sugar/fruit water all in fermenter . Last he added bread yeast - the recipe and procedure didn't look bad-I was wondering if any u guys ever used this recipe or one similar. If so, how'd it turn out??
semper fi
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Re: Corn recipe?

Post by aircarbonarc »

Just hope the dried fruit isn't stuffed full of sulphites and you'll be fine. Yeast doesn't like sulphites and most dried fruit depending on your source (China) can contain high amount of sulphites as a preservative. I'm sure fresh fruit or fruit juice will do the same . Just read the packaging and make sure you are avoiding adding preservatives. I'd go 200° also with the water. Other than that you should give it a try and let us know how it works. Learning is all about doing.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

My own worruy would be wax on the fruit - I think the hot treatment might reduce the preservatives in it to ok levels

I'm with aircarbonA on this one - give it a whirl and report back :thumbup:
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Looks like the West Coast Exterminator strikes again.

The only thing you'll get out of the corn is some flavor and a ton of unfermentable sugars with this recipe. So basically, you'll only be fermenting the 3lb of sugar you add in. Not exactly the best recipe out there.
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Ur right it's the exterminator - I'm looking for an old school corn/ malt recipe that'll produce a clean smooth corn liquor with no sugar bite . That's what I was lookin for when I saw his vid. He actually looked like he did fairly decent job with the corn/ amalayse part- I jus didn't kno how this would turn out. I' do a simple cooked cracked corn with distillers malt recipe. It turns out ok but it always has a pretty harsh burn , even after proofing down. I was hoping find an all corn recipe that comes out smoother than mine
semper fi
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

BayouShine wrote:The only thing you'll get out of the corn is some flavor and a ton of unfermentable sugars with this recipe.
??
He gelatinized his corn at high temps, converted with enzymes at mash temps, bakers yeast. Looks like fermentable corn sugars to me.

That said, check out this recipe for an all corn whiskey, no sugar added, that is very smooth and will help you develop a solid protocol: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=49869
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
BayouShine wrote:The only thing you'll get out of the corn is some flavor and a ton of unfermentable sugars with this recipe.
??
He gelatinized his corn at high temps, converted with enzymes at mash temps, bakers yeast. Looks like fermentable corn sugars to me.
Nah, he only used powdered amylase. No Sebstar or SebAmyl was used. He's got a big pot of dextrins since there was nothing to convert them to simple sugars.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Fool proof easiest Corn n Malt AG recipe that I've found works good is. 22lbs corn and 11lbs malt. Makes around 12 gallons of nice mash in the end. Works best as a sour mash by using the boiling hot backset straight from boiler to cook the corn.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

BayouShine wrote:
MichiganCornhusker wrote:
??
Nah, he only used powdered amylase. No Sebstar or SebAmyl was used. He's got a big pot of dextrins since there was nothing to convert them to simple sugars.
Sebstar and sebamyl are not the only way to cook corn. Yes, they make life easier. But before that, there was the "cook the snot out of the corn" method. So you gelatinize the corn, which is releasing starches. Then you convert the starch with malt, or sebamyl, or powdered amylase. There are pros and cons to all, but they are all ways to get there.

I'm not saying this is the best recipe. Just that there are other ways to make liquor than using seb enzymes.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

ShineRunner wrote: Sebstar and sebamyl are not the only way to cook corn. Yes, they make life easier. But before that, there was the "cook the snot out of the corn" method. So you gelatinize the corn, which is releasing starches. Then you convert the starch with malt, or sebamyl, or powdered amylase. There are pros and cons to all, but they are all ways to get there.

I'm not saying this is the best recipe. Just that there are other ways to make liquor than using seb enzymes.
Here's the video for reference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_N3PbopL28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Most of us that have been around for a while know how to do things before the liquid enzymes became popular. The OP may not. This is video is not the way to go if he wants to learn a mashing protocol. Let's try to answer the OPs question rather than split hairs over malt/enzymes.

Bavis54, MCH linked to a good all corn recipe in the Tried and True Section. You can also check out Jimbo's Wheated Bourbon and NcHooch's Carolina Bourbon as other references for mashing techniques without using liquid enzymes.
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

All this is good stuff guys- I appreciate every idea and all the help I can get. Heck I've been making a cracked corn recipe for the last year thinking it was a real corn liquor. I didn't find out or realize until while back that what I was doing wasn't converting the starches to sugar, wat I was doin worked, n it made ok likker but basically it was jus a sugar head with corn n malt for flavor. I didn't know I had to cook the corn like so and add the malt at right temp etc-
semper fi
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Bavis54 wrote:Hi guys, I saw YouTube vid other day that showed a corn recipe, the guy used 5 lbs yellow corn meal, 1 lb bag dried mixed fruit, 3 lbs sugar, and water,
First he heated water to 190, stirred in corn meal and cooked til it was gooey and absorbed the water, then he cooled to 150 and stirred in two packs of amalyse extract to convert sugars in corn, after cooking that til it was thin -he used seperate pot and heated water to 150 and added sugar and fruit, he then combined the corn meal mix and sugar/fruit water all in fermenter . Last he added bread yeast - the recipe and procedure didn't look bad-I was wondering if any u guys ever used this recipe or one similar. If so, how'd it turn out??
That was probably the first recipe I tried when I was a newbie and hadn't yet read all the gazillion posts on this site.

It came out surprisingly well.

Good mashin'
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Save yourself a lot of hassle and go to the Tried and True Recipe section
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

There is also a recipe that's not in the tried and true (yet)
Honey bear bourbon by Shineoncrazydiamond

It's absolutely delicious
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

There is also a recipe that's not in the tried and true (yet)
Honey bear bourbon by Shineoncrazydiamond

It's absolutely delicious