Amalayse

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

Amalayse

Post by Bavis54 »

Hi guys I jus have a dumb question- when doing a corn and wheat or corn and malt wash- can I use regular amalayse extract to convert to sugar? Or do I gotta use the two liquid enzymes?
semper fi
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Amalayse

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

You don't need any store bought enzymes.

Simply use malted grains in your recipe at 20% - 30% of the total grain bill.

7# ground up corn cooked in 4 gallons water, 3# ground up malted barley or malted wheat in at mash temps, and it will all convert just fine. Cool, pitch yeast, and you're on your way.

IF you choose to use additional enzymes its on you to know what they are, what they do, and exactly what type of protocol is required for them to perform correctly. Enzymes are not created equal.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Went yesterday to local brew supply shop, picked up beer hydrometer, gypsum, ph strips etc. was looking at some of the pleated barley and some of the wheats they carry, the owner told me that without amalayse I wouldn't get a good conversion. I don't know bc I'm jus now learning the science of all this, but jus to try it I picked some up, I was wanting to do like a 60-40 corn wheat or a 60-20-20 corn pleated malt and distillers malt. I jus wanna use as little extra sugar as possible I wanted to get a good conversion. That's y I ask-
semper fi
MichiganCornhusker
retired

He's just trying to sell you extra product. You won't need the amylase and you won't need sugar.
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Ok thank u friend- I'm hoping the wheat and malt will help give me s smoother product . The peated malt was some the most amazing grain I've ever tasted, I love it, can't wait to see what it does
semper fi
MichiganCornhusker
retired

That peat will give it a nice Scotchy smokiness, different than other smoked grains.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:He's just trying to sell you extra product. You won't need the amylase and you won't need sugar.
Perfect example of what this site is about.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Distillers malt will give you all the enzymes you need
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Was it malted wheat? Malted wheat has even more conversion power than 2 row :shock: . If you were looking at unmalted wheat, you do need some kind of enzymes, but that amalayse is not the answer.

Go ahead and do 6lbs corn to 4 lbs any type of wheat malt (or a mix of all them :ebiggrin: ), and you'll have close to twice the conversion you need :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Just a thought
Malt will supply all the enzymes needed, to convert starch into fermentable sugar
Personally, I like to also use liquid enzymes for insurance :lol:
Here's a commonly used supplier for the enzymes.
http://www.enzymash.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

The grains I bought were 10 lbs of peated malt, 10 lbs of white malted wheat, 10 lbs of distillers malt, and 10 of maris otter malt- I haven't mashed in or used anything yet, still kinda thinkn on the recipe I wanna try. A friend of mine from Wilkes county gimme jar of some of the smoothest corn liquor I ever had- won't tell me for nothing wats in it exactly - all he'll say is that it's 60 corn and a mix of wheat and malt. That smoothness and easy drinking liquor is what I'm trying for. The peated malt I got is for a smokey corn recipe I wanna try later
semper fi