unmalted grains all I'm finding are "Wheat Berries" and "Rye Be

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

joeymac
Swill Maker

unmalted grains all I'm finding are "Wheat Berries" and "Rye Be

Post by joeymac »

My local brew shop has all the malted grains i could ever want... but for the unmalted grains all I'm finding are "Wheat Berries" and "Rye Berries". As I understand it, these berries are the grain without the hull. Is this going to be a problem if the grains are not whole with the hulls?

Also, shipping grains is super expensive. I'm having a hard time finding things locally in bulk the only reasonable prices for grains I'm finding online are Nuts.com with cracked rye berries for about $2.25/LB shipped and IFSBulk.com has both steel cut oats and whole hard red wheat berries for about $1.00/LB shipped.

Other than that, most places are over $4/LB shipped!!! :crazy:

My local brewshop does also have unmalted wheat, oats, and rye but they're all flaked. But I feel using all flaked unmalted grains would be since they are the majority of the grain bill :shock:
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: unmalted grains all I'm finding are "Wheat Berries" and

Post by Swedish Pride »

Not sure if you found the answer to your questions.
I get my grains in the feedstore, it's much cheaper that the HBS.
Flaked grains work fine for mashing with, i just put down 25kg of flaked maize.

Wheat berries as you call them are lovely, mix with other grains or on their own, It's all good.
I just ran off a unmalted wheat batch and it's very close to vodka in a single run ( running two plates) an other run would make it even more neural.
Don't be a dick