Fruit in thump keg

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

Fruit in thump keg

Post by Bavis54 »

Hi guys, I made a run this wknd- nothin special jus cracked corn n sugar, I knew it wasn't gonna be the best, so to help it out or give it some flavor I cut up and puréed a bunch of peaches n put in thumper, and added some weak tails in it. When the liquor was done, I can't taste the peaches hardly at all, I jus barely can smell n taste them. What did I do wrong? It's a 15 gallon pot, 8 gallon thumper and I put probly 10 lbs peaches in it and maybe half gallon of 70 proof tails in it. Any ideas?
semper fi
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Fruit in thump keg

Post by NZChris »

Probably because there weren't enough peaches. What I've done with other fruit is put everything back in the still with more fruit in the gin basket and repeatedly re-run it until I got the intensity I wanted.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Bavis54 wrote:Hi guys, I made a run this wknd- nothin special jus cracked corn n sugar, I knew it wasn't gonna be the best,
Garbage in garbage out maybe ???

OVZ
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

The mash was fine, the liquor coming out was fine, I think maybe I need to back off on my sugar some but the liquor n mash were not wat I'd call garbage- I've made it thousand times n wanted try n distill some flavor in it. I jus not sure y I didn't get any peach flavor-the peaches were great, very ripe n tasty. Maybe I do need to move it in vapor path like using gin basket
semper fi
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

TRy putting some likker in a jar and just soaking a few pieces of peach in it for a few days.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Did you sniff your cut jars before mixing them? There might have been all the flavor in the heads/tails and you didn't notice it. I use my thumper to make gin and there are different smells in each cut jar, blending is the trick.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

sltm1 wrote:Did you sniff your cut jars before mixing them? There might have been all the flavor in the heads/tails and you didn't notice it. I use my thumper to make gin and there are different smells in each cut jar, blending is the trick.
I've got a jar of peach heads and tails that taste better than the heart cut. I'll get around to blending them one day :D
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

sltm1 wrote:Did you sniff your cut jars before mixing them? There might have been all the flavor in the heads/tails and you didn't notice it.
Very common with trying to make a fruit brandy or liquor. The fruit flavor just isn't in the hearts. Others here have reported adding some of the heads/tails back to the heart cuts to maximize the flavor.
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

I didn't get smell or taste of peaches in anything. Not even in the tails. I used this method before, with putting apple pie concentrate/spices in thumper and it worked out splendidly. I jus dunno y didn't work this time. I had 30 gallons mash to run - jus a sugarhead - corn n malt for flavor, my still is a simple 15 gallon copper pot, after first run I filled pot with mash , drained low wines outta thumper, filled thumper with peach purée and weak likker , then simply ran the last run. The liquor came out tasting and smelling exactly like first batch- strait corn likker-150 at hearts, it got cloudy at 70 proof, I ran jus a little more bc I wNted some backings, then shut her down. I use pints for cuts, every single pint had no peach flavor. I had 3 gallons of 150 proof but no peach in em. U can tell heads hearts n tails but no peach in em at all. Maybe I didn't use enough I dunno. Only funny thing I noticed was that when I drained thumper-I had about 2 gallon more liquid in it than I normally do. It always accumulates more liquid but this time it gained more than usual.
semper fi
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

What's a bunch of peaches?
Was they ripe squeezein ripe.

So I'm tole
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

The peaches were A-1 great peaches. Ripe as can be, I could crush em in my fingers
semper fi
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

You might need more bubble dispersion to pick up the flavor. Here's a pic of the bubble arm I run along the bottom. The top of the hoziontal arm has many holes drilled in the top.
Attachments
ThumperCon3.JPG
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else: