Distilling Sake

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Distilling Sake

Post by Odin »

I have got some Sake that I can redistill into a brandy or vodka. It's 16.5% strong. Anyone any ideas or suggestions?

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Re: Distilling Sake

Post by aircarbonarc »

It'll make a nice vodka! Or potsill it twice! Rice loves being distilled. Try blending it with a whisk(e)y also. I've been having great luck with my 25/75 rice 2row
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

Local distillery here specializes in rice spirits, and they make a rice whiskey that is incredible. And yes, what rice they use (besides thier baijiu) is a secret....

Thier vodka's take on a lot of the characteristics of the rice, and it is veeery nice! To the point that I now have some rice fermenting in preperation for a new "project" :-D
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Desvio wrote:Local distillery here specializes in rice spirits, and they make a rice whiskey that is incredible. And yes, what rice they use (besides thier baijiu) is a secret....

Thier vodka's take on a lot of the characteristics of the rice, and it is veeery nice! To the point that I now have some rice fermenting in preperation for a new "project" :-D
Where and what is this distillery doing rice? Where is it? I'm in the Pacific Northwest area on the north side of the border and would gladly visit another distillery.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

aircarbonarc wrote:Where and what is this distillery doing rice? Where is it? I'm in the Pacific Northwest area on the north side of the border and would gladly visit another distillery.
PM sent (don't know what the rules are about posting distillery names)
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Okay, put the Sake through my still. Collected at 92%, because I wanted to see both its vodka and brandy profile. Interesting notes. Lots of banana at the beginning. Lots of buttery tastes at the end. I'll do final blending tomorrow. After that I'll dilute one part down to 43% and give it some US treatments for fast aging. Another part I'll dilute with Sake, in the old brandywine traditions. What remains, I'll fractionate to 96.5% for a purer vodka. Three spirits for the price of one. I'll keep you posted!

Odin.
Attachments
IMG_2345.JPG
IMG_2346.JPG
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

The brandywine variation sounds interesting, please let us know your results.