Distilling Old Bottles Of Liquor ?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Distilling Old Bottles Of Liquor ?

Post by olecajun »

Found some partial bottles of old liquor, Rum, Whiskey , Bourbon ,Vodka . Capt. Morgan , Jack Daniels and such. She wants them gone. What would happen if I dump them all together and re-distilled ? Curious :ebiggrin:
Gator Meat ;; Its whats for dinner
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Distilling Old Bottles Of Liquor ?

Post by NZChris »

They would taste very much like they would if you put them all together and didn't distill them.
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

Probably taste like lacquer thinner. LOL.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I wouldn't think so. I have a couple of bottles with a stave of charred toasted oak in them that are scraps of whatever I'm blending or sampling on the day. They morph all the time from continued use and refilling and they constantly age and get a lot of airing. I just tried a six month old rum and thought it was immature, but promising, then tasted a scraps jar for comparison. The scraps jar was very nice, better than the newish rum.

The other scraps jar is a 2/3 full gallon jug and is even nicer.

I have also morphed from corn to whiskey to rum and all of the in between products were very nice.

To tidy up what you have by distilling you could get rid of some heads, but you would lose much of the age at the same time.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I would deffo run them, add water and then booze and strip and add to a voddy run or to your faints jug if it does not taste nice off the spout
Don't be a dick
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

A few years ago my fishing partner's mother-in-law died and she had bottles of 1.75 L of whiskey he couldn't stand so I reran with my AG run. Turned out great but I wasn't mixing a lot of die rent types.
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

I really don't have anything to lose. So when I get up and running I will probably run it. Even thought of just charging the thumper with it all. She just told me I better not take her Southern Comfort !
KornLikker
Novice

Post by KornLikker »

I tried this last year with a bunch of booze that I don't drink and had on hand for parties. I took 2 1/2 gallons of Black Velvet, 1 1/2 gallon of Seagram's, 1 1/2 gallon of Everclear and some other misc stuff, added a couple gallons of good well water then triple distilled it. Once I tempered it down to a reasonable proof it wasn't half bad as a semi-neutral.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I used such leftovers for cleaning my still. It was all crap ( why I was willing to clean with it) and had more foreshore and heads in it than anything I have fermented. :-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

All good info.
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

olecajun wrote:Found some partial bottles of old liquor, Rum, Whiskey , Bourbon ,Vodka . Capt. Morgan , Jack Daniels and such. She wants them gone. What would happen if I dump them all together and re-distilled ? Curious :ebiggrin:
Easy solution is to drink them.
Codgerness
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Codgerness »

I would be wary. It's the store bought stuff that will make you sick. Adding the water to it before the run might clean it up some.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I know this is a bit late and a little off topic, but I'd save the Cpn Morgan and JD for taste comparsons with my own (ish's)

I see you have Captn Morg and "Rum" - is the Captain Morgan the full Black Navy Rum ? and if so how does it differ from what you call "Rum" - I want to make something close to CM - but I struggle to understand what you in the US call "Rum" - to me Captain Morgan IS "Rum" - Bacardi and that light brown stuff is just - well "something else" - Semantics I know, but it really causes me a problem when people talk of "making rum"

Anyway - what did you do eventually - how did it turn out ?
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

Haven't done anything yet. Its the Capt Morgan Spice Rum. I am not experienced enough to venture into special brewing. YET!!!! :mrgreen:
Rocodog
Novice

Post by Rocodog »

I have no clue what these mythological partial old bottles of liquor are, all mine bottles more than a week old mysteriously get emptied.. seriously though I tried redistilling a bottle of whiskey from a "craft" distiller that has a lot to learn. It tasted like turpentine when I bought it and it tasted like even worse turpentine after redistillation. It is now relegated to become the liquid in my air locks. Anything that gets through that stuff deserves to spoil my ferments.
Nobody will ever match your expectations. It’s easy to become disappointed in the people you meet, but really, you should be disappointed in the quality of your own expectations....
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

The last few years I have been keeping a "Orphan" bottle. Every time I am finishing up a bottle of my make or store bought whiskey and left with just a few sips I pour it in the Orphan bottle. It has a little bit of everything in it, Bourbon, Single Malt, Rye, Wheat etc. I am constantly surprised how nice it is.