Best base feedstock for a standard sugar wash

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

erbachem
Novice

Best base feedstock for a standard sugar wash

Post by erbachem »

After doing my first couple of sugar washes using tomato paste as a base I thought I'd try starting a thread to discuss the pro's and con's of different feedstocks available. Here is my impression of options to date

Tomato paste

Deficiencies - No major deficiencies. DAP and Vitamin B supplements are usually added to help ensure a vigourous wash

Pro's - Good quality vodka. Does not require boiling first

Con's -

Wheat germ

Deficiencies - None that I know of. DAP and Vitamin B supplements are usually added to help ensure a vigourous wash

Pro's - Very good quality vodka

Con's - Must be boiled first

Molasses

Deficiencies - Low in Nitrogen. Requires DAP or other fertiliser for fast fermentation.

Pro's - Often 50% or greater sugar content. Does not need to be boiled first.

Con's - Not as clean a product as other options.

So how far am I off the mark with this? What other base feedstocks would people recommend for their reflux stills?
ME
GingerBreadMan
Swill Maker

Post by GingerBreadMan »

Turbo Yeast

Deficiencies - None

Pro's - Easy to use, has all nutrients plus PH buffers

Con's - Can produce off tastes that are not desirable. Better results if 'stretched' (using half packet or 2/3 packet) and sugar potential is kept at 12% or lower. Expensive and most likely has to mail ordered. Companies selling turbo yeast have all kinds of other products you can buy from liquid carbon, to super duper carbon filter that could possibly remove any off flavors.

:D :D :D :D
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

UJSM

Deficiencies
None

Pros
All
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling
HookLine
retired

Re: Best base feedstock for a standard sugar wash

Post by HookLine »

erbachem wrote:Tomato paste

Deficiencies - No major deficiencies. DAP and Vitamin B supplements are usually added to help ensure a vigourous wash

Pro's - Good quality vodka. Does not require boiling first

Con's -
I have done a tomato paste only wash, and it turned out okay. Didn't take noticeably longer than when I added a 1/2 tsp of Vegemite for B vitamins. Never added DAP so I can't comment on that.

If the tomato paste is taken straight from a freshly opened container it is fine. But if it is taken from a previously opened container then I would mix it with a small amount of water and bring it to the boil it for a few seconds to sterilise it.
erbachem wrote:Wheat germ

Deficiencies - None that I know of. DAP and Vitamin B supplements are usually added to help ensure a vigourous wash

Pro's - Very good quality vodka

Con's - Must be boiled first.
I don't think the DAP and B vitamins are usually added for this one. One of the major selling points of the wheat germ recipe is that all you need is the wheat germ, it contains all the required nutrients.

Also can foam a lot in the still and puke over.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
erbachem
Novice

Post by erbachem »

Hey Old_blue

So do you use UJSM as a vodka base? My original thoughts on this thread was to find out what people use as feedstock for reflux stills as opposed to creating a flavour profile.
ME
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Plain old sugar,A little DAP,A little citric acid,and a pinch of epsom salts,and a lot of distillers yeast.
NO off flavors or added flavors from additives.
Keep the gravity low for best results.
Old_Blue
Rumrunner

Post by Old_Blue »

Hey Old_blue

So do you use UJSM as a vodka base?
No, not for vodka base.

See wineos post above.
Fire is the devil’s only friend - Don McLean
Jump in where you can and hang on - Brisco Darling