Crazy thinking

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Buster
Novice

Crazy thinking

Post by Buster »

I am in the process of building my first still and I have yet to start a batch of wash. I have a brother that makes beer, wine and mead so I have help with that end. But i wanted to get some input on using beer for my first run. I have some cases of beer that I am not that fond of and was wondering if i let it go flat if it could be run through the still?
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Crazy thinking

Post by Opdog »

People have reported mixed results. It seems to depend on the amount of hops in the beer. See http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=14981

Generally it is not recommended for all of the reasons in the above thread.
I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Exactly what Opdog said.
Use the HD Google Search for "distilling beer." Many have asked this question & many have tried it.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

If I remember rightly, I saw a thread recently which touched on this subject and although the usual "hop oil" argument came up, it was argued that the "hop oil" would not carry over.

Worth a try imho. WHat's to lose ?

a little electric and cooling water. At the worst case you'll need to clean your still out after.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I've done it several times Buster. Nothing to lose if the beers are destined for the drains anyway. I've distilled old commercial lager beers as well as craft brewed (by expired) ales and lagers as well. It has turned out OK for me. But then again, I haven't distilled heavily hopped American ales. The hops may affect the product flavor in that case, but I haven't experienced it in what I've collected so far. In fact, I distilled a Scottish ale (big and malty) and once on wood, has turned into a nice whiskey.

So, I'd say "go for it". But remember to degas the beers as best you can so it doesn't foam up too bad in the boiler. And be sure to leave plenty of headroom to help account for that.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Stargazer14
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stargazer14 »

I used beer, a few assorted old booze bottles and wine for my first run. (I wasnt drinking it).
The only think I can definately recommend not to use is absinthe, that left a terrible smell in my potstill.

But beer should be ok.
Buster
Novice

Post by Buster »

still_stirrin wrote:I've done it several times Buster. Nothing to lose if the beers are destined for the drains anyway. I've distilled old commercial lager beers as well as craft brewed (by expired) ales and lagers as well. It has turned out OK for me. But then again, I haven't distilled heavily hopped American ales. The hops may affect the product flavor in that case, but I haven't experienced it in what I've collected so far. In fact, I distilled a Scottish ale (big and malty) and once on wood, has turned into a nice whiskey.

So, I'd say "go for it". But remember to degas the beers as best you can so it doesn't foam up too bad in the boiler. And be sure to leave plenty of headroom to help account for that.
ss
Ok then I was worried about what I had read but I think I will give it a shot the beer is a 6% lightly hoped beer I think I will pour it into a clean carboy and let it gas off and give it a shot thanks.
Buster
Novice

Post by Buster »

OK I gave it a try and the taste is not bad not great but not bad. I learned that on off control will not work so while I was running I put together my other controller running a PID control to a SSVR it gave me a rock solid temp control. I have a simple sugar wash started and I am looking forward to running again. Thanks for the help
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

What temperature were you controlling?
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

NZChris wrote:What temperature were you controlling?
+1 on this question.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Google" bierschnaps"
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!