Distilled tea leaves?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

Distilled tea leaves?

Post by Bavis54 »

Got a link from a bartender friend about a new Bacardi liquor supposedly made from green tea leaves. Anyone ever use any kind of tea in wash before? I have a very old recipe book from my father that used a mandarin orange tea in a rum recipe, but I've never tried making it. Jus wondered your guy's thoughts on it-
semper fi
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Re: Distilled tea leaves?

Post by dieselduo »

Sometimes I make sun tea out of white dog
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I've considered blending some Lapsang Souchong and honey with some of my AG for a cordial . That tar/rope smoke tea blend is not for everyone but it makes for an interesting blend for some palates .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I'm interested in this thread to see what experience others share.

While I've not distilled with tea in the wash, in the last few months I have been doing a handful of small experiments macerating various teas, and enjoying the results.

I have a desire to steam some green tea in my gin basket, but I'm holding off for now, as my tea snob friend tells me I should only use fresh green team and the season is not yet upon us. He says green tea loses its flavor and strength fast, and we are hoping that steaming it while it's fresh will help retain all that flavor/smell.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Reasonable goal , OtisT .
I'm just looking at blending flavors that I like into a cordial that won't last long here .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

The recipe I have from my fathers old book calls for a simple sugar wash- 1 lb sugar per gal water, it says to use an orange or lemon cut up in wash, and then a lb of horse feed ( which I assume is either sweet feed or oats) doesn't specify , and then to add one full box, 20 bags of mandarin orange tea. It says to heat water to boil and add sugar, then feed and tea. Then it specifies to pitch a wine yeast - it says after fermenting to distill at least two times in pot still using water in thumper. Sounds different, I never done a neutral or used tea but sounds good I gna try it.
semper fi
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I can see some positive results from that . Interesting potential flavor profile .
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

what a great thread! It was only Saturday when my wife and I discussed how we could make an "iced tea" spirit - infusion or maceration? Maceration appears easier.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

My past couple of gin runs I added quite a bit of camomile tea to the basket, makes a nice sleepy-time drop

OVZ
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Tell us more!!! Lol
What's up with the tea wash?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Oldvine Zin wrote:My past couple of gin runs I added quite a bit of camomile tea to the basket, makes a nice sleepy-time drop

OVZ
A recent Dan Murphy (liquor store) newsletter briefly mentioned gin flavoured with Earl Grey tea and lemon verbena.
Geoff
The Baker
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

7 days ago I attempted to create the old tea wash recipe I found in one of my dads old recipe books. I heated 2 gal of water to 150 degrees, dissolved 8 lbs sugar in water and poured in 10 gal fermenter. I heated 8 more gal of water jus enough to get hot, maybe 100-120 degrees then added to fermenter. Once fermentervwas full of hot sugar water I added 2 boxes of celestial seasonings orange mandarin tea. This was 40 individual tea bags. I added the tea bags and left them in. After 24 hrs i added two packs of cuvée yeast. All recipe said was to use wine yeast. It's been working away all week. It has a really different taste, just like really sweet tea but you can taste the alcohol too. I like it just like it is. It's still fizzing and bubbling, when it's done I'll remove tea bags and distill. Very surprised at the taste so far.
semper fi
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Forgot to mention- I also added yeast nutrient and 2 sliced oranges to tea when adding yeast.
semper fi
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

Sounds like an interesting project. Personally, I'd just take an already refined neutral with very little head or tail in it, and redistill with the herbs. This way you can get flavors and aromas that might otherwise be masked by feints.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

This is pretty cool.

Love seeing people doing something different. Honestly sounds like something right up my ally too.

I see experiments with infusion, boiler and gin basket in my future!

Yeastie Boys Gunnamatta IPA is one of my favourite beers. An IPA with earl grey.
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Mdh- you have a great idea, and I may end up doing just exactly what you said, I dunno what kind of orange tea that the recipe was speaking of- the book is from the 1920s, but I could find only one kind readily available , n it is really good tea. After tasting just the tea I decided to try this, and if I can cleanly distill the spirit to taste like the wash, then we'll really have something, if not I'm gonna infuse a neutral with the tea itself, then distill. But so far the wash is unlike anything ever tried.
semper fi
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Bavis54 wrote:Mdh- you have a great idea, and I may end up doing just exactly what you said, I dunno what kind of orange tea that the recipe was speaking of- the book is from the 1920s, but I could find only one kind readily available , n it is really good tea. After tasting just the tea I decided to try this, and if I can cleanly distill the spirit to taste like the wash, then we'll really have something, if not I'm gonna infuse a neutral with the tea itself, then distill. But so far the wash is unlike anything ever tried.
Exciting! Can't wait to hear the result!
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Hey fellas someone besides me needs try this tea wash. I ran off a slow run last night, and I am really surprised just how much original flavor retention it has. The orange taste from the tea is amazing. It's like 150 proof tea. I dunno if caffeine carries over but the taste is so much better than expected . I figured it'd b a sugar wash with maybe a touch of the taste but it's way way more orange tea flavor than expected. I took some, cut to 80 proof n added 1 tea bag. Today that jar is the best ever!! Now I gotta order more tea!! Use celestial seasonings mandarin orange tea .
semper fi
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Running the tea wash yesterday-
Attachments
IMG_1214.jpg
semper fi
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

I had planned to put a heap of Celestial Seasonings tea bags in my Carter Head but maybe I should try them in a wash instead?
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

I ordered more tea- but when I had to run wash hadn't arrived yet, I had planned on putting a whole box, plus some weak neutral alcohol in thumper. As it is I ran wash in thumper. That's one reason I surprised so much flavor carried over. Cant explain how-but for someone like me who has much to learn this was a big step in right direction. I told my friend last night I gotta patent this stuff- on diff note the tails from this had a freaking horrible horrible bitter flavor. Cut run off when this started.
semper fi
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

After reading so many tea failures, nice to see one that works.
What else is in your pop's book?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

...tsk...tsk...a plastic funnel holding activated carbon in a coffee filter??? NO THANKS.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Wats wrong with that?
semper fi
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

No plastics, anywhere.

Get one of these and never have it questioned again :thumbup:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MSZGR ... ref=plSrch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Thank u
semper fi
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Update on distilled tea- I left it white, after a month the tea flavor is gone gone gone- tastes like a neutral. All alcohol no taste. Gonna try n macerate it now, had big hopes for this . Maybe maceration will work.
semper fi
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Sometimes it just ain't gonna work, but if you are determined that it must work, try putting a new lot of tea in a gin head and running the spirit though it again. If that doesn't get enough flavor, repeat as many times as it is necessary to capture the flavor... or until you get the message that it just ain't gonna work :D
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

bite your lip and give it hell bubba.
maceration should be a good try, I read about suspension of herbs above the spirit would impart flavors. I've not tried it but it keep the likker white, possibly flavor it well and it's a win win.
experiment with shit till you find the calling.
psf
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by psf »

resurrecting the dead....

What was the verdict? Does anybody have a starting point for maceration like Odin's Gin?

Thanks
You could write a book on the stuff I don’t know