50/50 wheat likker

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

50/50 wheat likker

Post by Shine0n »

I read this am about using 50/50 malted and unmalted wheat. As the wheat harvest is happening in my area I thought I'd give it a try.
This week my plan is to head to the brew shop and buy 50 lb sack of red wheat malt and then go to the local feed shop and get a 50lb sack of local unmalted white wheat ( they do have red too) so that is an option.

I just now read on a thread and still stirrin wrote to give the wheat a rest at a certain temp 125-130 (if that's wrong ss please set my ass straight) well somewhere in that range. This something to do with the protein. I'll do some more research on this when I have time today so I actually know what the hell I'm talking about.

Is that rest for the malted or unmalted grains? I guess I read some more on that as well.

Recipe for 40+ gal mash
50lb malted white/red wheat?
50lb local white (unmalted) wheat

Process
Bring 25 gal of water to 135-140 and soak the unmalted wheat for a period wrapped in blankets to hold heat for the protein break.
Same process for the malted wheat and then add 150f water to top off the fermenter
Hold temp with blankets until it drops to pitching temps, I'll be using good ole bakers yeast rehydrated.

I'll do stripping runs, clear mash in the boiler and now I have my 15 gal thumper I'll steam strip the grains until it's ready for a spirit run.
I'll collect way down to 15% or less for the stripping run's and go by my senses for the spirit run.

I'll keep yall posted as I get along.

Shine0n
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 50/50 wheat likker

Post by bitter »

Sounds like its going to be tasty.. definitely will need rice hulls for 100% wheat

There is some good info on protein rests here

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/how ... dification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Next question is are you making Wheat Whiskey or Wheat Vodka? Both are tasty!

B
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Will be a whiskey, I'm not a fan of voddy. Although I've not made any but the commercial stuff I don't like. So that's what I base my opinion of them, I'm sure there are some good but I like flavor and I'm too cheap to buy expensive shit. Lol

Them damn rice hulls are expensive where I live, how much would you recommend for a ferment of this size?
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Looks like you're planning to ferment on-grain, no need for hulls.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

MCH is right. I missed the bit on steam stripping.

B
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Yes, I plan on the grain ferment so I guess the rice hulls are a no go. Thank god because them jokers are expensive.
The feed shop was lose by the time I made into town so I'll have to get it Thursday.
I've read that red wheat has a wonderful flavor so I may pick up 25lb each red and white.
I just want to keep this an all wheat.

Looking forward to this
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Your steamer keg setup will be perfect for an all wheat run. Wheat is a great grain, you can expect a delicious and unique whiskey.

Just be prepared, if Jimbo catches wind of you making a single malt wheat whiskey he'll be knocking at your door!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Well after a year on oak, say 4th July 2018 I'll have a hella party and invite all who can make it. Lol

I think it was jimbos wheat thread that gave me the idea, plus seeing all those combines running up and down the fields kinda solidified it.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

ShineOn said, "Well after a year on oak, say 4th July 2018 I'll have a hella party and invite all who can make it. Lol. "

Thanks, and I would be there too if it wasn't so damn far from Australia.

Geoff
The Baker
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Baker, hop in a sail boat and fish along the way.
No gas, all you can eat seafood buffet and a great drink when you get here. Lol