looking for strawberry banana recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bigbuck
Swill Maker

looking for strawberry banana recipe

Post by bigbuck »

has anyone tried or have a recipe for strawberry banana, friend of mine tasted some awhile back and said it was really good, I am assuming it was made with strawberry and banana puree, probably sugar, water and neutral, but wanted to see if anyone has tried it first
Plc Ryan
Novice

Re: looking for strawberry banana recipe

Post by Plc Ryan »

Do you know if it was clear? If it was and that's what you are after you have two basic options. Make up a fruit wash from strawbeeries and bananas only adding sugar if you absolutely must and the fruit isn't very sweet. Then ferment and distill. Alternatively if you have a thumper you could make up a fruit reduction and when your hearts are coming through on your spirit run you can "shoot the thumper" by injecting that flavourful reduction. Or I guess a third option would be to infuse with a gin basket.

However if it doesn't have to be clear I would make a neutral and then make a strawberry banana panty dropper.
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

thanks for reply, no it was not made from a wash, my buddy told me it was more red than anything and kind of thick leading me to believe it was just made from store bought puree's, would you happen to know recipe for strawberry banana panty dropper? found tons of recipes with strawberry's but no strawberry banana
Plc Ryan
Novice

Post by Plc Ryan »

Follow the same procedure and use half strawberries and half bananas. This isn't a recipe just taking a guess here. Guys have had success doing any number of different fruit and combinations so I would start at 50/50 and make a small batch and adjust accordingly. Blaze your own trail and try something new. Post your story up for the next guy.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Plc Ryan wrote:Do you know if it was clear? If it was and that's what you are after you have two basic options. Make up a fruit wash from strawbeeries and bananas only adding sugar if you absolutely must and the fruit isn't very sweet. Then ferment and distill. Alternatively if you have a thumper you could make up a fruit reduction and when your hearts are coming through on your spirit run you can "shoot the thumper" by injecting that flavourful reduction. Or I guess a third option would be to infuse with a gin basket.

However if it doesn't have to be clear I would make a neutral and then make a strawberry banana panty dropper.
I understand most of your advice and agree. But what do you mean with "fruit reduction" and "shoot the thumper"?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Kareltje wrote:...But what do you mean with..."shoot the thumper"?
HDGoogle search makes it easy to find the answer to your questions. See....http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 9#p7268810
And this...http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... t#p7199557
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Kareltje wrote:...But what do you mean with..."fruit reduction"?
Uhhh, maybe this: http://www.food.com/recipe/strawberry-r ... uce-379000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Filtering pureed banana steeped in alcohol sounds like a project for a Mythbusters doco :D

My guess is that you will be eating it with a spoon, but don't let me stop you giving it a try and reporting back.
Plc Ryan
Novice

Post by Plc Ryan »

Kareltje wrote:
Plc Ryan wrote:Do you know if it was clear? If it was and that's what you are after you have two basic options. Make up a fruit wash from strawbeeries and bananas only adding sugar if you absolutely must and the fruit isn't very sweet. Then ferment and distill. Alternatively if you have a thumper you could make up a fruit reduction and when your hearts are coming through on your spirit run you can "shoot the thumper" by injecting that flavourful reduction. Or I guess a third option would be to infuse with a gin basket.

I understand most of your advice and agree. But what do you mean with "fruit reduction" and "shoot the thumper"?
I had read a few times on here where members have made a clear apple pie by making up a reduction with all the spices you like in your apple pie. Then using a syringe of one type or another, that reduction can be put into a thumper mid run as the hearts are coming through. You would need a small entry hole sealed with flour paste. Push the syringe through and shoot in your flavourful reduction and then reseal with paste. Doing it as the hearts are coming through should get you lots of flavour in your final product and it's remains clear.

EDIT: somehow didn't see SS's posts explaining my logic. Thanks for that! I'll leave this up anyway since I typed it.

I was thinking of you could somehow make a reduction with maybe the fruit a bit of water and sugar you would have strong enough flavours to carry through with this method and it will remain clear.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

my son does this all the time, he makes a strawberry panty dropper first, then he cuts up some bananas and let's them create their own juice which doesn't take long and adds that to the panty dropper.
You don't have to strain no damn slimy bananas out either and make one fine sippin drink.

And... someone may just loose their panties :thumbup:
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

gonna give this a go as a mash, do I need to add any nutrient to wash?
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Juicy juice brand and jumex brand both make 100% fruit juice strawberry banana juice. Wal-Mart sells both.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!