High barley recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

High barley recipe

Post by Steep-n-Rocky »

HD'ers

How does this sound for a grainbill:
25% malted barley (6 row home malted)
25% unmalted barley
25% rye
25% corn

I have an abundance of feed barley and have made some 50/50 barley (malted and unmalted) but like what rye and corn do for mouth feel and "spice". DP looks good, anything I am missing?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: High barley recipe

Post by der wo »

Why not. On or off the grain fermented and distilled?
DP looks good? How do you know? What is your kilning procedure?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Post by Steep-n-Rocky »

I have been fermenting off grain and distilling off grain. I use 24 lb with 10 gallons for my apartment Che's and use 1/4 backseat or stillage when I have it.

To kiln I use a dehydrator with temp control. My germination is variable so we am conservative with DP and even sneak in some alpha amalaze(?) now and then.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Just coming off of a corn, barley & rye recipe myself, looks great.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Steep-n-Rocky wrote:To kiln I use a dehydrator with temp control. My germination is variable so we am conservative with DP and even sneak in some alpha amalaze(?) now and then.
I ask, because the most members here, which malt at home, don't care much about the DP. They either make a 100% malted barley Whisky (and then a high DP isn't such important) or they make specility malts and replace the DP with liquid enzymes or malted barley from the store. To make a high DP malt you need to maintain low temperatures for a very long time, 2-3 days. If you dried it within 1 day you won't get a good conversion with this grain bill.

Edit: Because you add alpha amylase, it's good to favor the beta-amylase of the malted barley. You don't need the alpha-amylase of the malt. What I mean is, that you should add the alpha-amylase at a "normal" temp and the malt at a much lower temp than usual. Perhaps at 135F.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Moe
Novice

Post by Moe »

Sounds good! Since you plan on filtering and are adding enzymes anyway, may I suggest using some beta-glucanase as well?

In my experience, rye gives you a very thick viscous mash due to its beta-glucan content. Just adding a beta-glucan rest to the mashing scheme did not do the trick. That mash was a real pain to filter. Nearly impossible. And after filtering it was still too thick to go through my auto siphon. Only after adding beta-glucanase enzymes to the next batch, I was able to get a nice liquid mash.
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Post by Steep-n-Rocky »

Great feedback guys! I usually don't have a problem with conversion, with or without added enzymes. I always use stepped rests. Back in the day I spent a month getting to know rye. It was "learning by doing " and a lot of burnt mash.

My guess is the rye and barley will compliment each other with a peppery taste but I might be sacrificing some finish and mouth feeling. Any guesses?
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

never played with rye, but that bill sounds good, i do a similar for my Irishish

40% malted
50% unmalted
10% corn

sometimes i add some oats as well for smoothness, I don't adjust any other the other grains if i do, it does not do too much for final gravity
Don't be a dick
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Post by Steep-n-Rocky »

Question: I have always used stepped rests (beta gluc 110 f, protease 120 f, and alpha amylase 142 f) out of habit after working with rye. How would you cook this recipe w/o rests? Would you consider substituting malted corn for ref corn?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Steep-n-Rocky wrote:Question: I have always used stepped rests (beta gluc 110 f, protease 120 f, and alpha amylase 142 f) out of habit after working with rye. How would you cook this recipe w/o rests? Would you consider substituting malted corn for ref corn?
i've done this way with good results, but if you want to simplify use enzymes. SEBhtl at 185 for 90 minutes, cool to strike temp add malt and SEBgl...AND SEBflo (I aim for 149*), for 90 minutes cool to yeast temps... gets the job done and the mash will clear for those who want to strain/filter.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Steep-n-Rocky wrote:Question: I have always used stepped rests (beta gluc 110 f, protease 120 f, and alpha amylase 142 f) out of habit after working with rye. How would you cook this recipe w/o rests? Would you consider substituting malted corn for ref corn?
Whiskey is normally mashed backwards. Unlike beer. First you use a hot temp to solve or gelatinize the starches of the unmalted grains, then you use a lower temp for adding the malted grains. This is the basic recipe for all mashes with low malt content. If you keep mashing like a brewer you will never get really good results.
Please read:
- NCHoochs Carolina Bourbon
- Jimbos easy 1/2 barrel wheated Bourbon
- Honey Bear Bourbon
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

HDNB wrote:
i've done this way with good results, but if you want to simplify use enzymes. SEBhtl at 185 for 90 minutes, cool to strike temp add malt and SEBgl...AND SEBflo (I aim for 149*), for 90 minutes cool to yeast temps... gets the job done and the mash will clear for those who want to strain/filter.
+1 I use SEBflo as well. Makes it easy peasy, no need for a beta glucan rest. In theory, it should also give you a couple of extra points.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

HDNB wrote:
I don't know nothin about this . Nevertheless , I'm getting palatable good results with enzymes and the info posted here .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Post by Steep-n-Rocky »

Thanks guys, I've used the "high temp - cool to add malt" approach too, just wanted to plumb your minds. I'm a little of a traditionalist but I'll look into enzymes.