Apple brandy with a molasses kick.

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Happyhollow
Novice

Apple brandy with a molasses kick.

Post by Happyhollow »

Thinking about doing 70% apple cider 20% sugar and 10% molasses. Looking for a little caramel flavor to carry over along with the apple flavor. Any ideas suggestions are appreciated. Apple are ready next month and want to do a few runs so I can perfect it.
30 all copper pot and thumper.
25 gallon stainless pot and thumper.
I think a lot more people would make it if they weren't scared of getting caught.
H.H.
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Apple brandy with a molasses kick.

Post by Shine0n »

I think your molasses will overpower the apple.

From what I've read apple is tough to get right, and easy to mess up.

At 10% in my sweetfeed it's almost overpowering the grain flavor, I may scale back to 8%.

If you have access to lots of apples I'd make a load of cider and distill some into brandy. You can always back sweeten it wit as much or little as you like. I'd hate to do all that work to have the moll mask the fruit.

Shine0n
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

I would second the notion of no molasses. Try a bottle of french calvados from the liquor store and you might find something you want to replicate.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Personally I prefer my apple brandy as pure apple brandy. Sugar will only take away flavor. As far as the molasses I think it will make cuts even harder than they will already be. Apple flavor can be very elusive and the particular flavors you want may come across in different cuts along with off flavors you don't want from the other ingredient. My thought is if you want that molasses flavor make a batch of apple and a separate batch of rum then mix them to taste.
Happyhollow
Novice

Post by Happyhollow »

Well I've got 60 lbs of molasses kicking around. Maybe ill make a couple batches of that and hold onto till the apples are ready. It will be nice to have some rum around anyway. I might even do a small run of the apple molasses just to see what it might be like.
30 all copper pot and thumper.
25 gallon stainless pot and thumper.
I think a lot more people would make it if they weren't scared of getting caught.
H.H.