Looking for a good 100% corn whiskey recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Vlugenhagen
Novice

Looking for a good 100% corn whiskey recipe

Post by Vlugenhagen »

Hey guys, I'm looking for a recipe for corn whiskey that actually tastes and smells like corn. I've always had a fascination with it, and today I finally went out and bought my first jar of Ole Smokey Original Moonshine. I was expecting a nice corn aroma and taste but I was disappointed to say the least.

So I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe where the final product actually tastes of corn.

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Looking for a good 100% corn whiskey recipe

Post by still_stirrin »

Try Booner's all corn recipe in the Tried & True recipe forum. A perfect place to look....
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Vlugenhagen
Novice

Post by Vlugenhagen »

Thanks a bunch!!!, appreciate it :)
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Good advice. But although Booner's is a bit more easy than most other all grains, because it uses liquid enzymes, I would recommend a sugarhead for beginners. UJSSM is a corn whiskey sugarhead. It is also tried and true.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Lawfish
Bootlegger

Post by Lawfish »

Take a peek at pintoshine's method. It's a step further than Booner's but if you have the equipment, it's foolproof. I've made at least 10 gallons of corn whiskey using this method (I have a 1/2" drill mounted overhead with a mud mixer mounted to stir the mash) and it's all turned out great. The corn mash seems to ferment much faster than a sugar wash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtnboJ3Kxeo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Lawfish

Homebrewer turned distiller
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

+1 der wo. IMHO UJSSM is an excellent recipe for most newbie's to start with. Simple, foolproof and affordable. It will teach you all the basics and you will learn how to run your still. Also true for Sweetfeed. If you catch on you will want to move to all grains next. As for recipes the only place you need to look is "Tried and True".

Enjoy the journey.

BG
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Gotta go with ujsm as well. It's great to get your feet wet and learn the ins/outs of fermenting and makes a good drink too.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I’ve branched out into all grains, sweet feeds, brandies, all kinds of things, but there’s nothing I enjoy drinking as much as as UJ.

Ain’t no shame in the sugar.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Sippin some booners causal corn as I type - easy recipe and damn good after a year in barrel :D

OVZ
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Oldvine Zin wrote:Sippin some booners causal corn as I type - easy recipe and damn good after a year in barrel :D

OVZ
Got my first 40 gallons of Booners popping away now. First corn whiskey. Of course, I'm filling a barrel, cause that's how we do it :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Lawfish wrote:Take a peek at pintoshine's method.....The corn mash seems to ferment much faster than a sugar wash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtnboJ3Kxeo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I use Pintoshine's method with my homemade corn malt.
The enzymes are cheap insurance, and yeast likes glucose :thumbup:
Lawfish
Bootlegger

Post by Lawfish »

Incidentally, I've started using a modification of pintoshine's method. Instead of continuing to heat once the mash reaches 180 and keeping the mud mixer going, I just add the enzymes, stir for another minute or so, then turn off the heat and the mixer and leave for an hour with the top on and some blankets over the pot. An hour later it's still about 170, so from there, I follow the pintoshine protocol, with the exception that I only mash at 148 for an hour, then use the wort chiller to bring down to pitching temp. From there, I strain out the grains and pitch. I've seen no reduction in yield from these modifications.
Lawfish

Homebrewer turned distiller
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

boda getta wrote:+1 der wo. IMHO UJSSM is an excellent recipe for most newbie's to start with. Simple, foolproof and affordable. It will teach you all the basics and you will learn how to run your still.
+1+1
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.