Does it hurt to cook regardless?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gsugg
Novice

Does it hurt to cook regardless?

Post by gsugg »

When doing all grains, and the recipe calls for just pouring boiling water into the mash tun; will it hurt your efforts if you end up cooking your grains anyway? I have a tendency to go to long on cooks rather than too short simply because I want to make sure they've gelled, etc. I haven't noticed anything harmful in my results, but I want to learn all I can and I don't want to unknowingly hurt my results. Forgetting the savings in time, does it hurt too cook grain even if the recipe calls for less cooking or just using boiling water? (While being sure to still cook to strike temperatures, etc). Thanks,

GSugg
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Does it hurt to cook regardless?

Post by der wo »

You are writing about corn, right?
Pouring boiling water to grain has less danger of scorching than bringing a mash to boil. If you are able to heat up without scorching, for example by using an electrical stirrer, it's the better way. Mashing in grain in cold water clumps less and gelling is more complete, if you boil it instead of the around 90°C you get with pouring boiling water.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg