Kirkland HoneyShine

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grog
Novice

Kirkland HoneyShine

Post by Grog »

Howdy all,

Not many threads on honeyshine so i'll share what I have been doing. Running this right now...

2 5-LB jars of Kirkland Clover Honey
water to 5 gallons
5tsp DAP (added all at once when pitching yeast)
1 packet EC-1118 (rehydrated)

I warmed 2 gallons of water to 140 to help dissolve the honey and added some hot tap water to the jars to get every last bit of goodness. Added cool water to 5 gallons and stirred like hell for 10 minutes to aerate. Pitched rehydrated yeast and nutrients and put it away to ferment. I kept temps in the lower 70's because 1118 puts of some funky flavors if it gets too hot.

Started 17SEP @ 1.074SG
Finished 9OCT @ 1.001FG
9% ABV

It cleared very well, 1118 I find clears very well no matter what I use it in. Tasted a little when transferring to boiler...would have made a nice mead! Just tossed the fores and the first jar came out at 134. This stuff has a really nice smell. Going to collect it all and leave it out overnight to air out. Not sure if I want to leave it white, add a wee bit of honey or put on toasted oak...may have enough to do all three. Will update when this gets done runnin.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Kirkland HoneyShine

Post by still_stirrin »

Grog wrote:...Not many threads on honeyshine so i'll share what I have been doing. Running this right now...
--> 2 x 5-LB jars of Kirkland Clover Honey <-- What did that cost you?

Started 17SEP @ 1.074SG
Finished 9OCT @ 1.001FG
Where I live, honey is too expensive to make shine. Grains are more economical. I'm not saying I don't ferment honey...I just keep it as a mead. But if you have a good (economical) supply, then no doubt it would make a very delicate white liquor. Much more than that and it will mask the honey flavors.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Grog
Novice

Post by Grog »

$11.79 per 5 lb jar. Very few times have I seen it that low. I need to go back and get 10 more lbs! I have only tried a few small sips and I think I will leave it white. I may take 150ML and add a drop or two of honey at a time to see if I want to scale it up but it has such a nice flavor now. Will revisit it in the morning after a good airing out.
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

Runs about $15 on average at my store, never noticed any sales. I'll have to keep any eye out, this sounds interesting enough to try.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Walmart where I live has 5 lb for 12$

I think I'll buy a little at the time to try and make a honey shine one day this winter.

Like fruit brandies I think I'd leave it white and mature for a year before drinking but I highly doubt that would happen with a honey shine. lol
Grog
Novice

Post by Grog »

I'll try but I doubt it will last that long. I tried a little tonight with a drop or two of honey...It lended more sweetness than flavor. I wasn't really a fan. I think a little toasted oak and more than a little time is just the ticket.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Try using it to replace the sugar in a uj ferment.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

jb-texshine wrote:Try using it to replace the sugar in a uj ferment.
+1, Sounds like a winner!!!
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I’ve discovered that honey takes a while(6 months or more) to fully develop. It’s really good if you can wait!
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Bigbob wrote:I’ve discovered that honey takes a while(6 months or more) to fully develop. It’s really good if you can wait!
Definitely worth the wait. I like to either leave clear or age on a fruit wood(finger sized). Either way I proof to 52.5% Abv after ageing 6 months min. Then drink on the rocks letting the flavor open up as the ice melts.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!