Different mash bills for Bourbon

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Different mash bills for Bourbon

Post by Bushman »

Found this chart on line while researching rye. It's different distilleries mash bill for bourbon.
image.png
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Different mash bills for Bourbon

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Thanks Bushman, interesting to note the extremely low percentage of malted grains that some of them use. This should mean that they must use enzymes in order to do a complete mash...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

For bourbon 51% has to be corn. I found it interesting that Makers Mark is the only one that added wheat. Wheat is milder and I would guess make it a bit smoother.
The main reason for posting is to give members a starting point if there is a brand they prefer and want to get close to or similar to the same taste.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

FWIW, here is a link to a more extensive mash bill table. https://modernthirst.com/home/bourbon-w ... ash-bills/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Bushman wrote:For bourbon 51% has to be corn. I found it interesting that Makers Mark is the only one that added wheat. Wheat is milder and I would guess make it a bit smoother.
The main reason for posting is to give members a starting point if there is a brand they prefer and want to get close to or similar to the same taste.
Thanks for sharing RHB. Bushman, it is an interesting observation about the Wheat. Makers Mark happens to my preferred commercial bourbon, and I’ve been enjoying my wheated bourbons more than the other bills I’ve run. I guess my palet is geared toward the smoother drops made with wheat.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:FWIW, here is a link to a more extensive mash bill table. https://modernthirst.com/home/bourbon-w ... ash-bills/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Thanks for adding the link to the thread.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

I was interested to see that only "Rabbit Hole" and "Watershed" show as having both rye and wheat in their mash bills. I wonder why that's such an unusual combination? Now I've gotta make me some.... :)