Mincemeat Brandy Mash

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TurboGoose
Novice

Mincemeat Brandy Mash

Post by TurboGoose »

So I'm experimenting here and trying to make a mash with a few large jars of mincemeat (the fruity variety) and some fresh fruit. It's vegan so it thankfully doesn't have any real suet in it but it still has 'vegetable suet' which is made from sunflower oil.

I've stuck three jars of it in a pot along with some mashed pear and brambles and given it a bit of heat and a good mixing. I'm now letting it cool but I have just realised that as it's cooling the oil and fats are forming a layer on top. I really should have anticipated this, but oh well. I haven't added the yeast yet, how important do you reckon it is that I remove the layer of fat? It won't be impossible to strain off but it's a bit of a ball-ache, I'll get rid of as much as I can but there'll inevitably be some left. I could possibly strain all the mush out and then siphon the good stuff out from the bottom of the pot after letting the fat settle on top but it won't be perfect. Will the yeast still manage?

And if anyone knows a sneaky trick to skimming the fat off easily I'd love to hear it.

Cheers in advance
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Mincemeat Brandy Mash

Post by The Baker »

Make sure it is really cold if possible.
It's in an open top container?
Just skim the fatty stuff off! Like you do with soup made from cracked bones, which you will then re-heat (the soup not the bones).
Do you have a flat ladle thingy with holes in it?

Geoff
The Baker
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I made a wash out of Cheez-Its a couple times. The first one I was careful to strain off the fat and the other didn't bother. They both fermented without a problem.
TurboGoose
Novice

Post by TurboGoose »

Thanks for the replies, I left it outside over night and scooped the fat off the top this morning. Hopefully it won't be an issue!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

TurboGoose wrote:Thanks for the replies, I left it outside over night and scooped the fat off the top this morning. Hopefully it won't be an issue!
Covered hopefully
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
TurboGoose
Novice

Post by TurboGoose »

Of course, I find pidgeon shit doesn't do the flavour any good.