Anyone thought about making gin using essential oils

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Anyone thought about making gin using essential oils

Post by bitter »

rather than they typical way I make odin's gin anyone had luck using essential oils.

Getting the right amount would be tricky but be nice to have and put x amount per l of gin you wanted. could also be more efficient so not waisting the anything.

A local distillery does this with there gin and was wondering if anyone at home ahs tried there own.

B
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anyone thought about making gin using essential oils

Post by Expat »

Yup, its definitely been covered in the Gin threads here somewhere. I can't point to a specific thread though.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by NZChris »

bitter wrote:A local distillery does this ....
Are you sure about that? I would have thought it's more likely that they are blending essences rather than oils.

I'm running a pineapple essence right now.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

They are using juniper berry essential oil and blending that in rather than using juniper berries and re-distillation. Was a crazy small amount for a large number of bottles.

I figure Juniper, coriander, and Tangerine peal and could make something very similar but not sure if the typical water distillation for essential oil extraction does the same thing as what we do when we make gin. Also could some off flavors we don't get.. with normal methods.

B
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Also in the essential oil section there is talk about using essential oils for absinthe. Seems as though the two are similar just different botanicals.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Do they have a still? Using oils, they could buy in GNS, add oils, bottle, label and sell, with the highest energy use being the coffee machine.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

My missus is an aromatherapist and has tons of oils. I've been wanting to do a gin with oils for ages, shes busy lately but when finds the time will try to figure out quantities for me, its a very hard balamcing act to get it right, i've done many different drinks with her oils and there awesome, the sambuca we do is outstanding.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

From reading not personal experience, but this sort of compounded gin has a really bad reputation, even in historical industry documents where their standard was pretty darn low to begin with.

Of course that doesnt mean a conscientious artisan/hobbyist cant do it right, just throwing out there that it has been a known method of gin making for a long time, and seems to cary a stigma.