Having a Problem with a Sugar Wash Recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Having a Problem with a Sugar Wash Recipe

Post by NZChris »

Odin wrote:The rest just sprinkle on top to do the actual fermenting.
I did that a few years ago for the first time ever because, after picking and treading my grapes, I couldn't be arsed making up a proper yeast starter culture. I have a very fine batch of vinegar from that vintage. It is aging on oak and getting better every year. Very nice on a summer salad.
thecontrolguy
Novice

Re: Having a Problem with a Sugar Wash Recipe

Post by thecontrolguy »

I just processed another batch of egg shells. We keep the shells in a bucket in the basement. Today I crushed them in the bucket with a heavy hammer, for a few minutes. Then they went onto a cookie sheet in the oven at 350f for about an hour. Cooks lots of stink off them; use the hood fan. Then into a coffee grinder until finely ground. I keep these in a sealed jar until I create another wash and then about two to three tablespoons into the bottom of each 20l pail. These disappear into the wash for week long brew cycle and hold the ph about 5.5 - 6.3. Just got new electronic ph meter. It varies as to how much of the grounf=d shells are left but to date I have not had a stalled wash.. Sometimes we have lobster, clam, or shrimp shells in there too.
Sooner or later we all sit down to a banquet of consequences.
- Robert Louis Stevenson