"Apple Pie"

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StabbyJoe
Swill Maker

Re: "Apple Pie"

Post by StabbyJoe »

By my calculations that recipe lists ~5.7L of liquid + 1/2L 'everclear' so wouldn't you divide by approx 12.5? So 100%abv in (for the sake of calculations) would give like 8% out? maybe that's why you can barely taste the alcohol :lol:
especially if using 40% making it more like 3%

(the first 2 liquid measurements are in gallons, the last in liters)

But then I feel crappy today and could be doing math completely wrong...
Or you could all be doing it as 1 gal of 'everclear' making it 1/4

EDIT: realised you're not all referring to the recipe in post 1. My bad.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

my original recipe called for 1 qt of "vodka" in us 4qt=1gal and so it would be 1/4 of the percentage
if you use IP gal = 4.55 liter but the formula would be the same . just divide the percent/proof by the
ratio of mix (maybe someone could help to wright the formula down better so all could understand?)
Tatt2d
Novice

Post by Tatt2d »

Dnderhead wrote:That is what is good about making your own change to suite your self ,I do know it goes well with the lasses
and you can omit cinnamon and use sticks and I think it would be a good start for "peach pie"
This is the real reason for me taking up this hobby!
The wife and her friend got a hold of some "Apple 'Shine" at a motorcycle rally, OMG. :shock:
The clothes just seemed to melt off ! ! :twisted:
I ask because I dont know better...

My first drops of distillate fell on Nov.18 '08 quickly followed again 10 days later. I'm hooked...
I run a 1.5" reflux column 51" tall. It is a CM rig... Yea, I know... - researching LM/VM now...
Rudi
Rumrunner

Post by Rudi »

Ive tried strawberry panty dropper worked a treat ,have to give apple shine panty melter a go 8)
Such is life
HarlanKy
Novice

Post by HarlanKy »

Thought I'd share my Apple Pie recipe. I take 1-12 oz. can of frozen apple juice, 12 oz. of apple cider, 20 oz. of water and heat up hot but not boiling. Add 1/2 heaping teaspoon of apple pie spice, stir well and cover to simmer for 15 minutes. Add to 1/2 gallon jar of your choice (pickle jars work nice for me) put lid on and let sit overnight to let the spices work and cool to room temp. then, I add 16 oz. of neutral 92% shine and presto, you have 50 proof "Apple Pie Shine".

Divides nicely into 2 mason jars. Enjoy and let me know how you like it.
Tatt2d
Novice

Post by Tatt2d »

Hey Dndr, I just tried your recipe and 2 questions -

1) Is it normal for flow to completly stop up a coffee filter before it even passes a few cups worth? It is a coffee filter you use when filtering?

2)I still have a syrupy taste from the concentrate. Normal, expected or not filtered enough?

Thanks -

My first drops of distillate fell on Nov.18 '08 quickly followed again 10 days later. I'm hooked...
I run a 1.5" reflux column 51" tall. It is a CM rig... Yea, I know... - researching LM/VM now...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

it is the spices, you can let it settle.or use hole spices or ,make a "teabag" for the spices. let it set for a while it gits better.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

I have found that you can take a Colitho (1/4" thick cotton pad) and place it in the bottom of the coffee filter and it will significantly help with filter clogging. I suppose you could use cotton balls as well. Just make a layer of them in the filter and it will keep the solids out of the coffee filter and let it do the minute filtering. I do this with all my filtering and it helps tremendously.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
Tatt2d
Novice

Post by Tatt2d »

Thanks for the replies- It does taste good, might need to add a little higher proof next time though... :D

I ended up using one of those reusable/washable coffee strainers/filters. Its not quite fine enough. It flowed through it pretty quite. Knocked out the big particles but I still got some floaters. I'll let it sit fo ra while like you suggested Dnder and filter it like you said trthskr4.
Thanks guys.

big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

i let mine set on spice till i use it. even then i mite just shake and drink.
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

LOL Big Worm, yeah it's that good. Needn't take time to strain, filter or anything else huh? Whatever it takes to get that appley goodness in you ASAP.
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

I'm with BW on this one; I just shake it before pouring off. No harm in ingesting the spices...

But get this: I had a 2 liter jug of which we drank about half on Christmas Eve, then I put it away. Decided to have some last night, and the cap damn near popped off! Damn thing has been fermenting! There's about a 1/4" yeast cake on the bottom. WTF?? All I can think of is that some wild(or not so wild) yeast was floating around the kitchen on Christmas Eve while the cap was off. I've now left the cap on loosely and will let it work itself down <lol>
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

Barney Fife wrote:I'm with BW on this one; I just shake it before pouring off. No harm in ingesting the spices...

But get this: I had a 2 liter jug of which we drank about half on Christmas Eve, then I put it away. Decided to have some last night, and the cap damn near popped off! Damn thing has been fermenting! There's about a 1/4" yeast cake on the bottom. WTF?? All I can think of is that some wild(or not so wild) yeast was floating around the kitchen on Christmas Eve while the cap was off. I've now left the cap on loosely and will let it work itself down <lol>
That clearly shows that the alcohol level was not high enough!!!!
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

Well, yeah, it could have been stiffer, I 'spose; I used a half liter of 160 proof to the gallon. That should be over 10% ABV, correct? It's not a fast ferment, just a slow, fizzy one, and that's a good thing, as it could have blown the jug(glass!).
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

I had a half gallon of panty dropper do the same thing. If you don't drink it within a month or so it'll get nasty.
Tatt2d
Novice

Post by Tatt2d »

trthskr4 wrote:I had a half gallon of panty dropper do the same thing. If you don't drink it within a month or so it'll get nasty.

So...your recommending me and the wife drink it up in a quick manner ?!?! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'll see what i can do. I am having a glass of it right now. Poured it with the spices still settled on the bottom of the bottle. I just poured slow.
The alcohol wont stratify to the top or bottom of the bottle with me pouring slow will it?

Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I don't know guys, you got me thinking , got some strawberry that's about 5 mounts old , a lot of sediment in bottom ,but taste like sherry or port?
not really like strawberry at all.a little funky after taste.
tried apple-6 mo old-- changed sort of cream soda taste.. not bad but seem to loose the apple taste.
blackberry--about 1yer 4mo --made with wine+ --- taste like american brandy not bad but whould not want to drink a lot.
blueberry 6-7 mo--- week brandy taste , not bad on the tongue but a slight stale water after taste.
by this sampling id say I thank next year , when I can git the fruit Ill be making wine, and using that.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

When my panty dropper started fermenting again it lost almost all of its color also over about 2 months. I had 2 half gallon jugs and about 3 quarts if I remember right and only the one half gallon refermented, the rest were fine. I don't have the foggiest clue why only the one did that. It did start to make a sediment in the bottom of the jug and the rest did not.
Godstilla
Swill Maker

Post by Godstilla »

A little moonshiner who is headed to the big house told me how he made Apple Pie. Git yerself some old fashioned mulled cider. It is hard to find.
You can get it from http://www.atkinsorchard.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I add a cinnamon stick to every 1/5 made. Nice to pull on now and then. Goes down real nice.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

wineo wrote:Heres my basic apple pie recipe.
Granny smith,and any red apples
1/4 cup of raisins
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2-3 cinnimin sticks
Any 80-100 proof neutral,or corn hearts
Cut up apples into wedges leaving out the core and seeds
Put raisins,and sugar in jar
Put equal amounts of both kinds of apples in quart jars.{fill them up}
Add cinnimin sticks
Fill jars with booze,close,and shake daily.
After 4 days remove the cinnimin sticks.
It will be ready to drink in a week or so,but leaving it for more than a month will make it much better.Some people add a 1/2 cup of sugar,but I like it not as sweet.
If you make this,make a few jars,because it goes fast.
Made a batch of this back in may when Wineo posted it. Didn'tgo too much on it, but my young fella devoured the lot.

Cept for the half bottle i found up the back of the cupboard and took hunting on the w'end...back against a rock on a knoll overlooking a large grassy glade, sipping the pie as the twilight deepened while expecting the wild boars to be marching out to the pasture any moment...

They didn't.

But the pie had matured over the six or eight months into a tasty warming, smooth and decent drink.
I'll be making more for sure.

Thanks again Wineo, don't think i've ever tried a tip from you that wasn't spot on, you are the real deal.
rafterjmc
Novice

Post by rafterjmc »

Just did the second batch of apple pie great recipe dnderhead. First batch was exactly as listed was good but thought it was a bit suripy for my taste but my buddies drank a gallon in one night lol. Second batch I doubled the likker and loved it. Used single run horse feed likker past two times and its great but the corn flavor carried a bit more than I wanted still all my buds said its the best shine they ever had. Got a large batch of sugar wash going and a reflux colum built to make some nutral for fruit flavoring this summer. Two thumbs up for the recipe and all the help on my getting started.
pro65
Bootlegger

Post by pro65 »

I like this apple pie recipe as well.
Moonshine the flavor of the South.
nedscreekkennels
Novice

Post by nedscreekkennels »

A bear hunter in eastern NC fall 2008 had some of the finest Apple Pie I have had since I grew up in Wilkes county. If you are on here I would like to say thanks.
lawdog
Novice

Post by lawdog »

wineo wrote:Heres my basic apple pie recipe.
Granny smith,and any red apples
1/4 cup of raisins
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2-3 cinnimin sticks
Any 80-100 proof neutral,or corn hearts
Cut up apples into wedges leaving out the core and seeds
Put raisins,and sugar in jar
Put equal amounts of both kinds of apples in quart jars.{fill them up}
Add cinnimin sticks
Fill jars with booze,close,and shake daily.
After 4 days remove the cinnimin sticks.
It will be ready to drink in a week or so,but leaving it for more than a month will make it much better.Some people add a 1/2 cup of sugar,but I like it not as sweet.
If you make this,make a few jars,because it goes fast.
do you leave the apples and raisins in the drink to age? and could this be made "pantydropper" style? macerate the apples and make the sugar syrup over the leftover fruit, adding to the drink, then put nutmeg/cinnimon stick in it for a week?
big cheese
Novice

Post by big cheese »

I just made the recipe that Dnderhead posted and it is great. The wife loves it. My question is since this is made with apple juice does it need to be refrigerated?

thanks,

Big Cheese
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

It does not seem to "spoil " but will oxidize so place it in bottles that you will drink.
big cheese
Novice

Post by big cheese »

So to be clear. As long as it is bottled it is fine.

thanks!

Big Cheese
RumRaider
Swill Maker

Post by RumRaider »

Just made a batch myself. Amazing! The apples, brown sugar and cinnamon combine perfectly and really do taste just like (you guessed it...) apple pie! If you're not aware of it, you could miss the alcohol altogether so be careful. When its nice and chilled it goes down so easy, it will definitely get you drunk in a hurry if you're not paying attention.

Guess I should have added that i used 1/2 Gal cider, 1/2 gal juice, 3/4 cup white sugar, 1 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 3 cinnamon sticks. boiled it up and once it cooled down some, added 1 pint 89% birdwatchers. Next time I'll leave out some of the sugar (probably the white) because it was just a bit too sweet for me.

Raider
big cheese
Novice

Post by big cheese »

Is it possible to test the proof of apple pie or is there just too much sugar in it. I put my hydrometer in it and it just floated. I added another quart of 100 proof shine and it still floated.

thanks,

Big Cheese
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I tried it a long time ago and I just don't think you will get a reading!