"Apple Pie"

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: "Apple Pie"

Post by heartcut »

Tatt2d wrote:
trthskr4 wrote:I had a half gallon of panty dropper do the same thing. If you don't drink it within a month or so it'll get nasty.

So...your recommending me and the wife drink it up in a quick manner ?!?! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If the pie is 20% or higher, it's still good after a year at room temperature. Still effective on underwear, too. 10% can ferment again if it gets some wild yeast in it.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

+1 heartcut. I try to keep all mine between the 20% and 30% mark. To avoid nasties from taking over. I have some panty dropper and Apple pie that is 4 or 5 months old. And its actually getting better with age. I've heard it can go bad. But I'm not seeing it yet.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

An old timer told me "it aint sposed to be some sissy drink, make it 80 proof sose it burns some on the way down"

...so that's how I make mine :lol:
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I make mine about 80 proof also. But it is 'soooooo' smooth. Out at the campgrounds, we usually initiate a couple ppl a year, by not warning them of the proof b4 starting to drink around the campfire. They know better, after waking up in a tree the first time :twisted:

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Husker wrote:I make mine about 80 proof also. But it is 'soooooo' smooth. Out at the campgrounds, we usually initiate a couple ppl a year, by not warning them of the proof b4 starting to drink around the campfire. They know better, after waking up in a tree the first time :twisted:

H.
lol, yep, it'll sneak up on ya for sure.
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
big cheese
Novice

Post by big cheese »

wineo wrote:Heres my basic apple pie recipe.
Granny smith,and any red apples
1/4 cup of raisins
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2-3 cinnimin sticks
Any 80-100 proof neutral,or corn hearts
Cut up apples into wedges leaving out the core and seeds
Put raisins,and sugar in jar
Put equal amounts of both kinds of apples in quart jars.{fill them up}
Add cinnimin sticks
Fill jars with booze,close,and shake daily.
After 4 days remove the cinnimin sticks.
It will be ready to drink in a week or so,but leaving it for more than a month will make it much better.Some people add a 1/2 cup of sugar,but I like it not as sweet.
If you make this,make a few jars,because it goes fast."

A question on Wineo's recipe. Is this supposed to be made in several jars? Or is each quart jar supposed to have 1/4 cup of raisins, 1/4 cup brown sugar? Seems like with all the raisins, sugar and apples there will be very little room for any shine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
FantsGrove
Novice

Post by FantsGrove »

i have been playing around with different mixtures of mashes stripped and then spirit run together for a combination of flavors. for the most current mix i used a molasses and brown sugar strip around a half gallon minus the foreshots and tails after 40% (tails jar :silent: ) and the same with a run of corn. i then ran that gallon on a smaller still (dont worry it was diluted) and procured a delicious mix...it seemed all the heads and into the first bit of the hearts was a molasses flavor only and then mid hearts to beginning of tails was mainly a corn flair with a sweet tinge. the tails were well tails and more or less cardboard bland. but the heart cut mixed with the end of the heads produced an amazing flavor that was turned into some of the best apple pie i personally have tried or made to date. The recipe i used this time was:

Simmer half gallon of Simply Apple with 1/2 TSP of Apple Pie Spice, 4 cinnamon sticks, 1/4 TSP All Spice and 1/4 cup white sugar (let the molasses taste carry through from distillate) for 30 minutes at around 140 degrees F. I then let it cool slightly and filtered the mixture through folded up cheese cloth. This is not to remove all the spice just enough to make the sediment in the jars less. I added ~1/2 gallon 80% abv of above mention heart cuts and then jared up in 4 quarts with 3 red delicious slices (skin on seeds removed) and a stick of the previously removed cinnamon. Let sit for a week and then remove the cinnamon stick if being kept long term.

Just thought I'd share my recipe and contribute that in my case the molasses flavors really came through in the final product with the use of less sugary apple mixture... im assuming ~40% final abv but Im a big guy so i like my drinks strong
Distilling is like Fly Fishing. Sometimes you get pissed and get ready to break your s**t, till you remember how much its worth.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

big cheese wrote:wineo wrote:Heres my basic apple pie recipe.
1/4 cup of raisins
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2-3 cinnimin sticks
Add cinnimin sticks
It will be ready to drink in a week or so,but leaving it for more than a month will make it much better.Some people add a 1/2 cup of sugar,but I like it not as sweet.
If you make this,make a few jars,because it goes fast."

A question on Wineo's recipe. Is this supposed to be made in several jars? Or is each quart jar supposed to have 1/4 cup of raisins, 1/4 cup brown sugar? Seems like with all the raisins, sugar and apples there will be very little room for any shine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
My recipe is slightly different but those ingredients sound like the total amount. I put mine in a large 4 gallon ball jar during the infusion stage and bottle later in 1.75L (64 oz) bottles.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Gotta add some honey to the mix. I simmer the cider /cinnamon and all with honey to disolve completly. cool, and add neutral. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmm good shit.
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
zouthernborne
Swill Maker

Post by zouthernborne »

Is there any flavor difference between using neutral or using a sugar/corn shine recipe? I'm doing a spirit run on some birdwatcher's right now, and really wanna try this. Can't believe I've been in this hobby for a year now and it never occurred to me to make this.. :oops:
I have a very assertive way. It's wake up, move your ass, or piss off home.
-Gordon Ramsay
12 Quart SS Stockpot, simple potstiller. Mostly running whiskey and rums.
FantsGrove
Novice

Post by FantsGrove »

Its not one of the biggest worries because the mellowing pretty much eliminates the alcohol flavors at a higher proof after dilution...i have a gallon of the apple pie that after 3 weeks, some racking for filtering purposes(i hate pulp) is so mellow at 40% even the girls who tried it a week aged and tasted the alc. and burn can put it down now no problem...the sweetness really takes over and mellows the alc. out. Only warning i can give you is do not freeze in with apple slices in it unless you like a pulpy mess...1 apples cut into 8ths in each 1/2 gal mason jar covered the bottom 3in high with pulp after freezing

zouthernborne go with your BW it'll make some good AP shine...on your abv: go strong or go home alone :ebiggrin:
Distilling is like Fly Fishing. Sometimes you get pissed and get ready to break your s**t, till you remember how much its worth.
drovkin
Novice

Post by drovkin »

wineo wrote:Heres my basic apple pie recipe.
1/4 cup of raisins
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2-3 cinnimin sticks
Add cinnimin sticks
If you make this,make a few jars,because it goes fast.
I tried making this recipe and I'm not sure if I did something wrong.

I've had it sitting in the pantry for 2 weeks now, and used 90 proof Vodka. It basically tastes like Vodka with a tiny hint of apple.

From what I always hear about the apple pie recipe it is extremely smooth and will go fast. I don't see this going any faster than just taking shots.

Has anyone else had success with a recipe like this?
Saluda
Novice

Post by Saluda »

Dnderhead, about how much brown sugar would you start with on your recipe?
adlena
Novice

Post by adlena »

thanks for sharing apple pie recipe, its really nice, i do not like apples to eat but i will try it soon
May be you cannot believe at first but when you try 642-999 you will also say that it is the most useful web source ever for more information to visit ACER Best of luck.
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

The OP Pintoshine on his first post on this thread was a dead link. to the recipe for Sirius-Speedway apple pie . Im a computer guy I wanted to see the recipe so I tracked it down. I can get data from old deleted or dead links.
Here is a screen shot from that recipe.
sirius-speedway apple pie.JPG
PS if there are other data that you need from dead links PM me and ill see what I can do to get copy for you.
Its the internet nothing is ever permanently gone.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

iwine wrote: PS if there are other data that you need from dead links PM me and ill see what I can do to get copy for you.
Its the internet nothing is ever permanently gone.
HaHa even missing emails :lol:
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

:esurprised: yes even emails your service provider always has backups of backups, the question is whether or not they want to dig them up for you and if they do what is the cost to you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
iwine wrote:
HaHa even missing emails :lol:
im sure drump could "use" your services :crazy: :lolno:
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

I know this thread is old as dirt, but I had to bump it. I took dunderhead's recipe and tripled the spices and sugar, bumped the alcohol to 60 proof, and let it sit for a month. It's the best apple pie I've ever had. No burn at all, just pour it on ice.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

gsugg wrote:I know this thread is old as dirt, but I had to bump it. I took dunderhead's recipe and tripled the spices and sugar, bumped the alcohol to 60 proof, and let it sit for a month. It's the best apple pie I've ever had. No burn at all, just pour it on ice.
I always make mine a higher abv than most recipes. Word of warning, it goes down smooth and sneaks up on you!