Corn syrup?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sailman
Swill Maker

Corn syrup?

Post by Sailman »

I was just at one of the local grocery stores and they had corn syrup with vanilla on sale 32 oz for $0.99. Is iKt worth going back and picking some up?
20200615_130305.jpg
20200615_130312.jpg
Corn Crib
Novice

Re: Corn syrup?

Post by Corn Crib »

Why, when white sugar is the same price or cheaper?
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

At that price it's about the same price cane sugar, but I'd worry about the vanilla "extract" causing unexpected results...
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Corn Crib wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:46 pm Why, when white sugar is the same price or cheaper?
Corn sugar is highly preferred because it doesn't give the bite that cane sugar does. Unfortunately, corn sugar (apprx $37/50lbs) is expensive. This is not corn sugar, but corn syrup, which is made by steeping wet-milled corn endosperm (cornstarch) in water and processed with enzymes to produce a form of glucose.

I have never fermented / distilled with corn sugar nor corn syrup, but corn sugar reportedly provides a verry smooth drink. Like molasses, it is a form of fermentable sugar where the work has already been done for you. I would be interested to find out how this product ferments out and how the vanilla affects the flavor of brown spirit.

16oz of light corn syrup goes for $2.99. At .99 for 32oz, I would give it a try and at least test it as an adjunct.

First run-Corn Sugar wash
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

I have not tried corn syrup but, historically, posts suggest that added preservatives resulted in slow and/or stalled ferments. I see none listed on your label but the yeast will not like the salt.

I wouldn't bother but if you're committed to the project then I'd suggest pitching a lot of yeast.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
80Vette
Novice

Post by 80Vette »

You could always get some to use to bump up the SG of a mash
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

greggn wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:35 am I have not tried corn syrup but, historically, posts suggest that added preservatives resulted in slow and/or stalled ferments. I see none listed on your label but the yeast will not like the salt.

I wouldn't bother but if you're committed to the project then I'd suggest pitching a lot of yeast.
the salt is only at 1% of the total volume so who knows what would happen I certainly don't but at that price it would see. I might go back tomorrow and buy 10 or 20 and play around a bit..
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I'd be curious as to its gravity right out of the bottle and at various dilutions. Depending on the gravity, if I was still making UJSSM I'd be really tempted to replace my granulated sugar with the stuff.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Rfe144
Novice

Post by Rfe144 »

I bought 4 gallons of Karo corn syrup from a local food distributor. First attempts resulted in stuck fermentation. No amount of additional yeast nutrient or yeast made a difference. I remembered a video I saw on the Barley and Hops channel about invert sugar. I used that process on the corn syrup and it's currently fermenting away, happily. One gallon of the inverted corn syrup + one gallon of water got me to an original gravity of 1.090.