Milo/Sorghum Whiskey Development

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OlFrimjob
Novice

Milo/Sorghum Whiskey Development

Post by OlFrimjob »

I've long been interested in using alternative grains to create sprits that don't taste similar to something that is commercially available.

My latest opprutinity came when I spotted a $12 50lb bag of milo/sorghum grain at my local feed store and decided it was worth trying to make an AG sorghum whiskey. Most of what is on the web discusses making spirit from the sorghum molasses, but there is sparse information about making whiskey from the grain. There is a bit more information about using millet, which may be similar.

First attempt

I brought the bag home and ran about 16 lb through the corona mill. The mill was adjusted to crack the average sized grain into about four even-sized pieces, roughly. It's a tough grain to mill. Next I brought seven gallons of water to a boil and added the milo and the mash quickly turned to oatmeal.The smell wasn't pungent, but it had the unmistakable odor of vomit. Using an old bag of BSG amylase enzyme formula made mashing a struggle and I later believe this may have led to some issues described below.

The ferment was vigorous for about four days before slowing down. The following four days resulted in a the odor getting much stronger and also developing a sulfur smell. By the end of the ferment some of the smell had dissipated, but at no time was the smell pleasant. After straining the grain I debated tossing it simply because I was worried about stinking up the house and risking a lengthy cleaning of my equipment to remove all traces of the smell.

I ended up running the wash through the pot still with a little copper mesh stuffed inside since the sulfur smell was present. The heads had a very interesting flavor. The grain flavor was so complex and the sweetness in the heads that normally turns my stomach weren't that noticeable. Once the hearts came out I had a hard time keeping my finger away from the outlet. I kept going back for another taste. It was a very robust grain flavor with a hint of grass. Not sweet like corn, and not near as neutral tasting as wheat. It is frustrating to try to describe. I only managed to get around 200 mL before tails started to creep in. The later tails had an acidic flavor and feeling in the mouth that seemed to validate my suspicion that a secondary infection had taken over.

Obviously, I did a ton of things incorrect, but this experiment definitely validated the potential of using milo.

Points to correct: For the next batch I ordered new amylase enzyme as I think it is quite clear that the time between boiling in pitching I likely picked up a secondary infection. Further, I also did not add any nutrient which probably caused the sulfur odor. Combined, these two factors probably contributed to a poor hearts yield. I will also take OG and pH readings prior to pitching and monitor throughout.

Second attempt, in progress
I ended up making another batch using the old amylase as the new amylase is still a week out. It seems that room temp conversion seems to work better and I was able to pitch yeast within 24 hours of the boil even though total conversion had not happened. The BSG amylase formula comes with no instructions, but I managed to find a citation that stated this was derived from Aspergillis orzyae, which would suggest a lower optimum conversion temperature. For this attempt I was a lot more careful about only opening the pot to pitch the amylase and stir with a clean spoon. This attempt likely won't be 100% what I'm going for but it saved me from a week of sitting on my butt waiting for the new amylase. Will update on the outcome once it is ready to be run.

I'd be very interested from anyone who has ever tried using milo or even millet for that matter. Any suggestions for improvements are greatly appreciated!.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Milo/Sorghum Whiskey Development

Post by Tummydoc »

A single run in a pot still? No wonder you only kept 200 ml. Strip 3 runs without worrying about taste. Then combine those for a spirit run. Hard to make any sense of cuts on a single run due to smearing.

I dont worry about taste during stripping, only monitor ABV. Some collect in a single large container until that container is 30% ABV. i usually use multiple containers and quit when the output is 10-20% depending on the time.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

OlFrimjob wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:58 am My latest opprutinity came when I spotted a $12 50lb bag of milo/sorghum grain at my local feed store and decided it was worth trying to make an AG sorghum whiskey. Most of what is on the web discusses making spirit from the sorghum molasses, but there is sparse information about making whiskey from the grain. There is a bit more information about using millet, which may be similar.

(snip)

The smell wasn't pungent, but it had the unmistakable odor of vomit.

I use milo to make an AG vodka. It produces a big wheat-like profile only a bit softer (especially compared to red wheat). The mash/ferment does not have a pleasant or particularly agreeable odor.

I use high-temp liquid enzymes for conversion and have never had a failed batch.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
OlFrimjob
Novice

Post by OlFrimjob »

Tummydoc wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:14 am A single run in a pot still? No wonder you only kept 200 ml. Strip 3 runs without worrying about taste. Then combine those for a spirit run. Hard to make any sense of cuts on a single run due to smearing.

I dont worry about taste during stripping, only monitor ABV. Some collect in a single large container until that container is 30% ABV. i usually use multiple containers and quit when the output is 10-20% depending on the time.
My typical approach to first tries is to do single runs while dialing in the recipe with the intent of being able to best tell the differences between the adjustments made for each batch. As you noted, this is definitely testing "worst case scenario" for each batch since smearing is going to be at its maximum. In the case of this first batch, the strong suspicion of secondary infection and a few off flavors made me not want to risk combining with two bathes that did not have this problem. In this case, I just added the distillate to the tub of feints I'll run on the fractionating column when its time to make neutral.

After I get to a slightly better place with the recipe, it will be strip city. Will keep you posted. :thumbup:
OlFrimjob
Novice

Post by OlFrimjob »

greggn wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:02 am
I use milo to make an AG vodka. It produces a big wheat-like profile only a bit softer (especially compared to red wheat). The mash/ferment does not have a pleasant or particularly agreeable odor.

I use high-temp liquid enzymes for conversion and have never had a failed batch.
So you get a wheat-like profile? Can't say I know the red wheat taste.

Very glad to hear you hear the same issues with odor. Perhaps switching to high temp enzyme will be a good way to avoid any suspicions of contamination. Great advice!
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

OlFrimjob wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:25 am Very glad to hear you hear the same issues with odor.

Don't get me wrong, it shouldn't smell like vomit, but it's not a welcome aroma like when I mash rice or corn. It has an earthy smell not unlike a basement that has poor airflow.

... but it does make a nice product.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Nashville Craft Distillery makes a sorghum spirit from a sorghum syrup if you might want to get a hold of some and check out a commercial version. It's pretty good though.

https://www.nashvillecraft.com/what-we-do

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I have a 5 grain bourbon recipe that uses milo from my family farm. In fact, I use field corn and wheat too, all from the combine bin. And all 3 are unmalted.

The 5 grain recipe is:
50% corn (unmalted)
12% milo (unmalted)
12% wheat (unmalted)
16% malted barley (6-row)
10% flaked Quaker quick oats

I gelatinize the corn, with high temperature enzymes. Then I add the corn pudding to the mash tun with the milled milo and wheat, stirring vigorously. Next, I add the crushed barley malt and flaked oats and hold until saccharification (successful iodine starch test).

The corn gives the classic “bourbon” sweetness and the wheat adds a “creamy softness”. The barley malt produces the beer-like grain flavor and the oats adds a smoothness in texture, creating the mouthfeel that makes the bourbon full-bodied. But, the milo adds a “spiciness” to the finish, reminiscent of the spice contributed by a rye malt, only slightly different, but pleasant.

I haven’t used single grain recipes because I like the complexity of the multiple grains. But then again, I have created craft beers for years, even brewing at a local brewpub, so I know well the flavor contributions of the different grains.

So, I think you should try your farmer’s produce. And consider a combination of several cereal grains as they’ll give you a unique and signature product.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

From what I've read
Sorghum seems to be a common ingredient for making alcohol in much of the world.
That and the fact it grows real good in my neck of the woods, with minimum about of effort.
Got me to experimenting. Just in case "if" the shit ever hit the fan :lol:
The grain makes a good source of easy to get to starch. But it's short on enzymes
The beer made from it, would take a lot of getting used to, it has a sour flavor with hints of diesel fuel

Crushing the sorghum stalks and boiling it down for syrup takes much more time and energy.

Given the choice between drinking something made with sorghum seed or sorghum molasses.
I'd take what's made with sorghum molasses, next on the list would be something made from fresh sorghum squeezing's