Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Post by Hound Dog »

still_stirrin wrote: Just wait....you'll understand.......
ss
The "Just wait" is the key to it all. I had been at this for a bit and assumed I was not that great at making anything really good but vodka. The whiskeys and rums I made were mediocre at best. Then I pulled that mediocre jar off the shelf when sitting on some oak for a year. HUGE difference. The trick is getting aging stock far enough ahead of my drinking stock. Good thing is, I can always make a decent vodka with little to no aging and enjoy it too.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
volcaniani
Novice

Post by volcaniani »

still_stirrin on some resources they recommend to add about 2 ml glycerine per liter to the spirit. They say it makes the spirit softer...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

volcaniani wrote:still_stirrin on some resources they recommend to add about 2 ml glycerine per liter to the spirit. They say it makes the spirit softer...
Only if needed... :ewink: And with proper protocols, chances are that it won't be needed... :idea:

Case in point... Do you drown every bite of food with salt before even tasting...??? And if so, why...??? Bad habit to acquire...
Jamco
Novice

Post by Jamco »

Just a quick question I hope some one can help me with. I searched the thread and it seems that I should discard the original cornflakes, I did run upon a post where all of the flakes or half of the flakes were re-used. My question is can I leave the original cornflakes in the fermenter add an additional 2 1/2lbs of cornflakes add backset and proceed as usual? My thinking is that there are still nutrients and flavors in the original flakes and with the added backset would only enhance the flavor. I know it has been tried but I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I always leave em in and add more new flakes, doesn't make a difference bar more shite to filter out
Don't be a dick
Jamco
Novice

Post by Jamco »

Swedish Pride wrote:I always leave em in and add more new flakes, doesn't make a difference bar more shite to filter out
Thanks Swedish Pride for the quick reply, I thought it made sense I just wanted to verify my thoughts. I had another thought of straining the flakes through a 100 micron filter after the second use, thinking this would really bring out more flavor, racking and clearing then adding this back into my next ferment with backset & new flakes. This was my first time using Odin's recipe and was very happy with the results :D
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

jamce, i just run 25 gallons of corn flake for he first time.

i am also very happy , and a little giggly, with the results

i will be using the backset on a total cereal ferment
Jamco
Novice

Still fermenting after 3 weeks ???

Post by Jamco »

I'm hoping some of you with more experience with this or similar recipe's could help me understand what's going on with my current Cornflakes fermentation.

I started this current batch of CFW right after I completed my first attempt which I was very satisfied with. I stuck with the basic recipe with he exception of adding slightly more sugar bringing the SG to 1.7+-. First batch finished within a week and cleared within one more. I ran it and and was happy with the results, so I proceeded to prepare another batch.

3 weeks ago today I started my second batch. I used about 5 gallons of backset left in the boiler something I'd never done before since I've basically been running Birdwatchers. In addition to the backset I added about 6 pounds of fresh cornflakes and 25 lbs of sugar along with additional water bringing the SG to 1.8. I added 1/2 cup of dady's distillers yeast and 1 Tbsp of fermax.

The first 4 days of fermentation went as expected being similar to the first batch I had run. If I recall correctly it's recommended not to stir CFW during fermentation which I haven't, but after 4 days of fermenting things changed, there was no need to stir as the fermentation seemed to become very aggressive coming from the bottom where the CF hadn't been disturbed. The best way I can describe what the fermentation looked like was nuclear explosions of cornflakes erupting to the surface of the 20 gallon Rubbermaid container I used to ferment this batch in. This happened almost as a chain reaction starting in one section of the tub and then erupting across the rest of the tub, approximately 7 eruptions per minute releasing a lot of gas. I thought it was great the ferment smelled fantastic and I thought what looked liked boiling CF would only enhance the taste of the final product.

Well as I anxiously waited the fermentation finally slowed but remained violent at times. I thought perhaps that I hadn't added enough yeast so I did add an additional 1/4 cup of yeast over a week ago. The fermentation finally seemed to slow enough that 5 days ago I turned off the submersible heater which I had kept at 90f. Today after 3 weeks of starting this ferment it's still bubbling with no heat, nothing violent like I described earlier but still bubbling @ 70f.

The only thing I can think of is that I shouldn't have added the fermax and that somehow it's breaking down the cornflakes into something fermentable somehow. I tried to take a gravity reading but with the amount of cornflakes suspended in the solution it's impossible. I was thinking of taking a small amount of the the wine and refrigerate it to remove the solids then taking a gravity reading.

I know I've read to be patient and wait until fermentation stops, but at this point I know the sugar I added has fermented now I don't know what fermenting?

I appreciate any input anyone can provide, especially if someone has run into a similar situation or knows someone who has.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Jamco,

Your worrying for nothing. Chill.

It sounds like the nutrients you added fed the wash plenty good to ferment quite vigorously. It should drive the gravity down for you just fine.

One thing to note is that sugar washes can result in a rapid pH decline. So, buffering is always a good idea. Also, I noted that you used an awful lot of backset to start, potentially starting too acidic. But you said it started vigorously, so the pH was acceptable. Again, maybe the nutrients helped you here.

And if you've ever fermented in a glass carboy, you'd know very well of the eddys that an aggressive yeast can create inside the fermenter. It looks like a "rolling boil", rising from the bottom and falling again in the swirling patterns. Again, this is "goodness", as it shows you that your yeast is very active.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

+1 what SS said.

+2 don't worry :-D
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Jamco
Novice

Post by Jamco »

[quote="still_stirrin"]Jamco,

"Your worrying for nothing. Chill."

Thanks Still_Stirrin I'm chill just anxious :) I don't have much experience beside birdwatcher's which has worked well for me so far. This is only my second run with CFW, I just can't figure out what fermenting at this point, I'm thinking the sugar's gone after 3 weeks, maybe the nutes I added are converting the cornflakes somehow..........

I'll be patient, I'm hoping this turns out well, the whole family rooms smells like a bowl of cornflakes........... :D
Jamco
Novice

Post by Jamco »

Mikey-moo wrote:+1 what SS said.

+2 don't worry :-D
Thanks Mikey-moo maybe next time I'll add less nutes or none at all, get some batteries for my PH tester too :lol:
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Jamco wrote:next time I'll add less nutes or none at all, get some batteries for my PH tester too :lol:
Get the batteries now, or at least some pH strips.
With that much backset in a sugarhead you could be quite acidic by now.
You mention a 20 gallon fermenter, if you have 15 gallon of wash with some headspace that's around 30% backset.
Check you SG to see if it is drying out.

Even if all's well, knowledge is power! With fermentations, know your pH, temps, SG. :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Jamco
Novice

Post by Jamco »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
Jamco wrote:next time I'll add less nutes or none at all, get some batteries for my PH tester too :lol:
Get the batteries now, or at least some pH strips.
With that much backset in a sugarhead you could be quite acidic by now.
You mention a 20 gallon fermenter, if you have 15 gallon of wash with some headspace that's around 30% backset.
Check you SG to see if it is drying out.

Even if all's well, knowledge is power! With fermentations, know your pH, temps, SG. :thumbup:
Wow Thank you guys so much for the reply's
MichiganCornhusker I'll do a walmart run today an get some batteries for the meter..........
I did check the SG earlier today and it has fallen to 1.10 from 1.30 a few day ago but I thought the reading might be off due to the amount of cornflakes in the wash..........
I also turned the thermostat back on about 45 minutes ago and it's fermenting pretty vigorously every few minutes I'll leave it on until it's finished this time, can't imagine it'll take much longer............
Thanks about that tip on the % of backset, I've never used backset before, my only thoughts were of adding flavor didn't think of the PH....................
I really appreciate the Info everyone thanks again :thumbup:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Jamco wrote:...I did check the SG earlier today and it has fallen to 1.10 from 1.30 a few day ago....but I thought the reading might be off...
I think "the reader" is off.

I seriously doubt you measured 1.10, or even 1.30 for that matter. Most likely, you (should have) read 1.010 and 1.030, respectively. I don't even think brewing hydrometers can read as high as 1.300. So, obviously you made a mistake there.

Look again at the hydrometer and remeasure your wash. I think you'll see....you're at or below 1.010.
ss
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Jamco wrote:This is only my second run with CFW, I just can't figure out what fermenting at this point, I'm thinking the sugar's gone after 3 weeks, maybe the nutes I added are converting the cornflakes somehow..........
That just isn't happening... While fermentation can cause a very minor amount of starch conversion to fermentable sugars, that amount is miniscule and would in no way extend the fermentation process... Low temperature, low pH, or sluggish yeast due to fermentation related toxins are more likely causes for the slowdown... Or rising alcohol content causing yeast cell wall breakdown...
Jamco
Novice

Post by Jamco »

still_stirrin wrote:
Jamco wrote:...I did check the SG earlier today and it has fallen to 1.10 from 1.30 a few day ago....but I thought the reading might be off...
I think "the reader" is off.

I seriously doubt you measured 1.10, or even 1.30 for that matter. Most likely, you (should have) read 1.010 and 1.030, respectively. I don't even think brewing hydrometers can read as high as 1.300. So, obviously you made a mistake there.

Look again at the hydrometer and remeasure your wash. I think you'll see....you're at or below 1.010.
ss

My mistake SS 1.010 as of yesterday
Jamco
Novice

Post by Jamco »

rad14701 wrote:
Jamco wrote:This is only my second run with CFW, I just can't figure out what fermenting at this point, I'm thinking the sugar's gone after 3 weeks, maybe the nutes I added are converting the cornflakes somehow..........
That just isn't happening... While fermentation can cause a very minor amount of starch conversion to fermentable sugars, that amount is miniscule and would in no way extend the fermentation process... Low temperature, low pH, or sluggish yeast due to fermentation related toxins are more likely causes for the slowdown... Or rising alcohol content causing yeast cell wall breakdown...
Thanks for jumping in Rad . I kept the temperature range @ 90f the entire time, I did take a PH reading yesterday which was very low, I raised the Ph level over a period of hours and the fermentation seemed to stop. I don't know how accurate my Ph meter is at this point since I don't have any calibrating solution but from memory it seems to be reading in the range it previously had. I was surprised to check this batch this morning and it's still fermenting, the SG is still at 1.01, I'm curious if the amount of solids suspended in the solution could increase the SG, I believe I've read that in this forum somewhere. I added a small amount of yeast a few minutes ago, and will continue to wait, Thanks for sharing your experience.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Jamco wrote:I was surprised to check this batch this morning and it's still fermenting, the SG is still at 1.01, I'm curious if the amount of solids suspended in the solution could increase the SG, I believe I've read that in this forum somewhere. I added a small amount of yeast a few minutes ago, and will continue to wait, Thanks for sharing your experience.
I still think you're a "nervous nellie". You've just got to wait for it to finish. You don't need to put anything more in your ferment. Just let it go!

Didn't I tell you this in an earlier post?

Relax.
ss
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

If it's still fermenting, or off-gassing, just let it go until it stops entirely before considering racking into a secondary, or into your boiler if you get back in a hurry... Just depends on what quality of boiler charge you want to end up with... Time is free, as is patience...
Jamco
Novice

Post by Jamco »

still_stirrin wrote:
Jamco wrote:I was surprised to check this batch this morning and it's still fermenting, the SG is still at 1.01, I'm curious if the amount of solids suspended in the solution could increase the SG, I believe I've read that in this forum somewhere. I added a small amount of yeast a few minutes ago, and will continue to wait, Thanks for sharing your experience.
I still think you're a "nervous nellie".
ss

still_stirrin

I'm just a novice, not nervous and I'm just looking to learn..........Ph was to raised 2 days ago / lowered the temp to 85f about 12 hours ago after re-reading Dady's instruction's .....added 1 tbsp of dady yeast an another 2 hours later 2 days ago due to possible toxicity, cell wall breakdown etc, what could it hurt, reread Odin's post states 20%-40% backest thought 30% would've been just right, I'll go lower next time if any based on other posts I've read. I'm solely a student of a sweet science I doubt I'll ever master but I'd like to at least have the opportunity to learn as much as I can, if the recipe stated it would take 4 weeks to ferment I would have never tried it. Obviously I did something wrong basically following the instructions, only thing I changed was 1 Tbsp of fermax Thanks for your input
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

Qualityoverquantity wrote:Has anyone scaled this recipe up for say a 30 gallon drum? Thanks!

i did, 3 box of cereal
25 pounds sugar
5 pk yeast
5 tablespoon nutrient.

bubbled for a week, ran it at .990 sg
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

Hound Dog wrote:
still_stirrin wrote: Just wait....you'll understand.......
ss
The "Just wait" is the key to it all. I had been at this for a bit and assumed I was not that great at making anything really good but vodka. The whiskeys and rums I made were mediocre at best. Then I pulled that mediocre jar off the shelf when sitting on some oak for a year. HUGE difference. The trick is getting aging stock far enough ahead of my drinking stock. Good thing is, I can always make a decent vodka with little to no aging and enjoy it too.

i understand, i had some sitting in the cabinet 3 weeks''

the difference between it an green, fresh. is amazing

smooooooooth
Jamco
Novice

Post by Jamco »

frodo wrote:
Qualityoverquantity wrote:Has anyone scaled this recipe up for say a 30 gallon drum? Thanks!

i did, 3 box of cereal
25 pounds sugar
5 pk yeast
5 tablespoon nutrient.

Hi frodo that's exact;y what I did the first time and it worked great, From what I've been able to gather I used to much backset in my next batch which caused the PH the crash, which I adjusted and the SG is working it's way down. I say it's a dirty wash but according to Odin in a post a few pages back he prefers running a dirty wash saying it imparts more flavor. I tried cold crashing a small amount in the freezer the other night to see it I could get a more accurate reading on the SG due to the amount of powdered cornflakes suspended in the wash. I was surprised to find that only a very small amount the wash settled, and the color actually resembled beer. I've been gently running a perforated spatula through the wash hoping that I can help it off gas quicker since the wash seems very viscous with the amount of solids suspended. I'm expecting the FG will be in the .995 range later this week and will cold crash and run by Friday. I'll post my results to let everyone who's advised me how I went. I'm hoping for some great flavor if so I'm gong to try and see if I can make the same mistakes......lol
Jamco
Novice

Post by Jamco »

frodo wrote:

i did, 3 box of cereal
25 pounds sugar
5 pk yeast
5 tablespoon nutrient.

frodo I didn't add any nutrient the first time my mistake
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Jamco wrote:
frodo wrote:

i did, 3 box of cereal
25 pounds sugar
5 pk yeast
5 tablespoon nutrient.

The cornflakes should be jam packed with nutrients. I haven't had to add anymore...
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Jamco
Novice

Post by Jamco »

Mikey-moo wrote:
Jamco wrote:
The cornflakes should be jam packed with nutrients. I haven't had to add anymore...
You're right Sublime, I only added 1 tbps on the second run. Thought I could speed it up, anyway I certainly learned to be patient. I'm really hoping that with the amount of CF suspended or infused in the wash, that this stuff tastes great that's what Odin said a few pages back about a dirty / cloudy wash so that's what I'm expecting :D
If it does I'll try to repeat it and double the size of the next run.............If it works I'll have it started Friday
afternoon so it should be ready to run around Oct 2......lol
reckless kelly
Novice

Post by reckless kelly »

I made this for 2 years and never saw a 3 week fermentation. But thats me and I never add anything other than the flakes,sugar and yeast.
Course I never made 30 gallons either.
This stuff is awesome and as stated previously , aged and oaked its awesome.
Hound dog made the quote of the month:
The trick is getting aging stock far enough ahead of my drinking stock.
Some times the people you meet are just shit salesmen.
They are easy to spot.
They all have a mouth full of samples!
flyweed
Swill Maker

Post by flyweed »

what are ya'll makin for cuts on your spirit run? I just stripped 10 gallons of this, tempered it down to 40% abv, and now ready to run the spirit run. just curious how many jars I should collect, or amount to collect per "cut" ??

Thanks
Drink tonight.....For tomorrow We Ride!
TREEGUY1
Novice

Post by TREEGUY1 »

flyweed wrote:what are ya'll makin for cuts on your spirit run? I just stripped 10 gallons of this, tempered it down to 40% abv, and now ready to run the spirit run. just curious how many jars I should collect, or amount to collect per "cut" ??

Thanks
Flyweed- How much did you collect from your 10-gal run?