strawberry panty-dropper

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: strawberry panty-dropper

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Johnnywhiskey wrote:Has anyone experienced pectin haze in their strawberry PD (or other PD)? In my last batch I noticed haze and some clumps forming when chilled for an extended period, or when I dilute. Not immediately, but over a day or two. The clumpier stuff can be filter out, but I haven't found a solution to the haze. This last batch was made with a much higher proof alcohol that in earlier batches (170p v. ~120p). Maybe the higher proof pulls out more of the pectins which then precipitates when I dilute?
Maybe some gelatin or seaweed finings would help?
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

So I just wrapped up my first batch of PD. I did a mixed berry with blue, rasp, straw, and black.
I had a half pint 90 proof and did a handful of each type of berry till the jar could not hold any more. Then I topped off with a few tablespoons of lemon juice. I waited a week, everyday it gotta darker and richer. Along way I snuck a couple sips. Somewhere around day 4 the raspberries turned white and it started to taste and smell like fresh preserves.
Then on day 6 I strained the berries and did the sugar. I think I shook my solution too hard cause the berries and sugar just kinda made a mushy mess. I managed to get two juicings out of it and got tired of waiting and dealing with the mess of it all.

Two things I figured out (if this advice is already in here I'm sorry, I only had time to read 13 pages):

-Stockings work perfect for the primary filtering. I didn't have cheesecloth. Paper towels and coffee filter would yield about a tsp and get stuck like a breached baby. But a pair of stockings stretched over the top of a large Pyrex measuring cup work perfectly.

-after my two sugar juicings I was fairly certain my berries had more juice to offer. I tasted one of the plump little fuxers and got a mouth full of hooch. I have seen it suggested numerous times that they make excellent ice cream toping. Well screw that. I wanna drink my hooch, so I threw all the leftovers into a blender, added about 7 cubes of ice, a half cup of milk, a splash of vanilla, and hit go. It's mad delicious! Down here in LA daiquiris are a way of life.

Happy hooching friends!
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Mixed some up with Oregon Fruit since it already has delicious syrup in it. Gonna try the blueberry one this evening.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Just put some 150 proof neutral on strawberry a today. About 12hrs ago actually, the strawberry halves a are already turning white and floating. Should I leave it a full week like the recipe or just until the strawberry a are turned white?
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Antler24 wrote:Just put some 150 proof neutral on strawberry a today. About 12hrs ago actually, the strawberry halves a are already turning white and floating. Should I leave it a full week like the recipe or just until the strawberry a are turned white?
Now....why wouldn't you follow the Tried & True recipe?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cause if you read any thread under every T&T recipe on this forum there are wide variations on time frames and techniques done by many people with varying degrees of success.

Just playing devils advocate here.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:Cause if you read any thread under every T&T recipe on this forum there are wide variations on time frames and techniques done by many people with varying degrees of success.

Just playing devils advocate here.
Hey popstar, what are you trying to do here?
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

I had planned on following the recipe exactly but I thought I also read in the thread that once the strawberries are white there done, won't pull anything else out until you add sugar.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Antler24 wrote:Just put some 150 proof neutral on strawberry a today. About 12hrs ago actually, the strawberry halves a are already turning white and floating. Should I leave it a full week like the recipe or just until the strawberry a are turned white?
Antler, I found that leaving it sit for more than a couple of days gives it a little bitter edge. I think it takes too much out of the seeds on the berries but that's just my opinion. Using 150, you should be good after a day or two. I also just sugar them twice and toss them. If I loose a little alcohol, who cares? I'll make more. I am looking for smooth sweet taste here. Don't forget a dose of lemon juice in each step.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

My jars been coming out way too sweet cause I'm obsessed with getting all the juice out.
I'm gonna have a more minimalist approach next time.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

just made my second round of this stuff using fresh local strawberries. It's damn good stuff. especially poured over ice cream or cake. I like to use coffee filters on it though the strain out the seeds and fibrous bits from the berries. I lose a little booze but there's still plenty of it in there for ill effects.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

muscashine wrote:just made my second round of this stuff using fresh local strawberries. It's damn good stuff. especially poured over ice cream or cake. I like to use coffee filters on it though the strain out the seeds and fibrous bits from the berries. I lose a little booze but there's still plenty of it in there for ill effects.

I did the same with my batch. It turned out great ill be making more soon.
Swedish Pride wrote:
erlendurh
Novice

Post by erlendurh »

nanosleep wrote:A friend calls my 190 proof "Liquid panty remover"
Haha that one is definately a panty dropper [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Watch out though if you are on the same juice you could find yourself in a pantydropped situation with a stranger of the same sex [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Practice makes perfect, spend less time sharpening your pencils and more time drawing
erlendurh
Novice

Post by erlendurh »

Stangas wrote:hey sounds great..

i have a mulburry bush out the back yard.. cant wait for it to fruit again.. will be collecting em this year.. just been leaving em to the birds of late...
Mulberries, they look a bit like raspberries, is the taste the same?
I hav access to raspberries but not mulberries, wonder what they would be called in my language, you guys remember eyjafallajökull?

Practice makes perfect, spend less time sharpening your pencils and more time drawing
erlendurh
Novice

Post by erlendurh »

PUGIDOGS wrote: Crap I did not know there were ethics involved. I just figgured if it works, do it.....KISS method

I just started a Rhubarb scnapps. If it is not good I will make rhubarb liqueur, if it is not good I will make vodka out of it. I am not throwing good ETOH away....Pugi
I for 1 like your MO [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

erlendurh
Novice

Post by erlendurh »

thirsty wrote:I've made a million of these infusions, and the best, most interesting one I made was with fresh horseradish, fresh jalepeno, and garlic. It was delicious and herby. Makes an incredible bloody mary.
Ok thirsty you made it all in one or three different batches?

I have experience with garlic and alcohol against vampires, for some reason they are always looking to get drunk, but adding horseradish, that is genious man it disguises the scent of garlic and also speeds up their ethanol intoxination, anyone else experiancing overflow of vampires?

Any thoughts on adding ginger or maybe ginseng to the mix?

erlendurh
Novice

Post by erlendurh »

mrotch wrote: I use tart apples and dredge them in cinnamon - it takes a while to settle out but is by far the favorite of all my friends. I have had luck with a combo of apples and cranberry (without cinnamon) and blueberry.
By luck you mean that every friend of yours has dropped his/hers pants?

Now the interesting question is does it work the same with males as women and in the male category how do the scotish fare since myth dictates that they are unable to drop since they dont wear ?

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

erlendurh wrote:
Now the interesting question is does it work the same with males as women and in the male category how do the scotish fare since myth dictates that they are unable to drop since they dont wear ?

I believe it translates to "kilt lifter" in Scottish. :wink:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
desahih
Novice

Post by desahih »

hello guys,just a question,does the syrup reduce the abv a little bit and by what calculations?say i macerate berries with 40% and add the syrup till desired sweetness,what will be the abv without no dilutions?any ratios?
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

desahih wrote:hello guys,just a question,does the syrup reduce the abv a little bit and by what calculations?say i macerate berries with 40% and add the syrup till desired sweetness,what will be the abv without no dilutions?any ratios?
Measure spirit ammount and syrup ammount and use dilution calc. Still wont be correct due to juice coming from berries and alcohol going into berries but itll be close and after is said and done , whats + or - 2% between your mouth and liver.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

desahih wrote:hello guys,just a question,does the syrup reduce the abv a little bit and by what calculations?say i macerate berries with 40% and add the syrup till desired sweetness,what will be the abv without no dilutions?any ratios?
Measure spirit ammount and syrup ammount and use dilution calc. Still wont be correct due to juice coming from berries and alcohol going into berries but itll be close and after is said and done , whats + or - 2% between your mouth and liver.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

well I've been meaning to put up some pics of this process for a while as some people are still confused, and a picture is worth 1,000 words.

I also see that the admins have made a stripped post about this which is definitely a big help *clap for admins* :clap: :clap:

so let's get into it, I use a punnet (250gm, 8.8oz) of strawberries per litre i want to make.

I soak mine at 80%, but anything over 45% (90proof) is fine for you pot stillers out there.

1. freeze them to break the cell walls to get the xtra goodness.

2. put them in a jar with your likker, i just add them straight from the freezer without thawing
strawberries on day 1
strawberries on day 1
I usually wait 3 days, or until all the strawberries are floating, this might be quick for me as I use such a high % likker for maceration
day 3, they are all floating
day 3, they are all floating
day 3, all strawberries are floating, meaning it's ready for the next step
day 2, lots of floaties, but not all
day 2, lots of floaties, but not all
3. I remove the likker from the strawberries and filter it through paper filters ( alot easier to do before you add the sugar!!!)
I go through about 4 filters per litre
I go through about 4 filters per litre
4. our strawberries are now filled with alcohol and more strawberry goodness, dump a bunch of sugar ontop
ready to be coated in sugar
ready to be coated in sugar
fully cover the strawberries, and wait
fully cover the strawberries, and wait
as the sugar turns to syrup, strain it off and replace with sugar, I do this about 3 times, the strawberries shrivel up and go all yucky looking.
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

after coating them with sugar about 3 times, theres not muxch left, they go all shirvelled up and yuck, here is a before and after comparison
before on left, after on right
before on left, after on right
once done, add to your likker to your liking, I serve mine at 30% (60proof)
the final result
the final result
and last but not least, I add 1 Table spoon of lemon juice per litre.

this "panty dropper" has been tried and tested by myself, my friends, and the odd person I've gifted it to, and they all swear by it's name!!!
it always gets made every batch of likker i do :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: :P :P :twisted: 8)
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

I no longer bother coating them with sugar and waiting.

I pour the whole mess through a stocking and squeeze the juice out. Then I sweeten to my liking with a simple syrup.

I notice no difference in the flavor. Although my way does end up with more of the stuff that makes it cloudy. You can let it settle out in a large jar and pour the clear part off the top of it pretty easily though.
twisted_times
Novice

Post by twisted_times »

Just finished this for the first time, I think it is to sweet but the Ole lady seems to think it is great as she giggles in her recliner.
Thanks to all those here putting all this together for us new guys/gals.
* HEY YOU GUYYYYYYYYSSSSS*.
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

So, I've made some strawberry PD, as well as blackberry, blueberry and an apple pie. I want to give them to friends as wedding favors but I need to know what is the best proof to offer the folks and can I use my proofing hygrometer now that all that sugar's been added?
Some men you jest cain't reach...
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

I usually do 30% straight (for shots or to be mixed)
or 10% "pre mixed"
you kinda have to try it a few times to find what you think tastes best

a mistake alot of first timers to this recipe make. is once you have added sugar, it will through any alcohol reading way off has it changes the gravity, you have to calculate it from what your original %alcohol was. (just guesstimate)
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

pounsfos wrote:...a mistake alot of first timers to this recipe make. is once you have added sugar, it will through any alcohol reading way off has it changes the gravity, you have to calculate it from what your original %alcohol was. (just guesstimate)
Excellent point!!
Yes. Was fooled by this.. Thought at first it was the juice VOLUME. But no, you're right. Juice CONTENT.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Finished making 3.5 liters of this with 30% Birdwatchers (tastes better with low alcohol, for sure).

Since I love strawberry pulp so much, blendered the strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar into the mix.
Refrigerated.
Absolutely friggin delicious on a hot summer's day here in Missouri.
Will kick you in the head! --moderation.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

My panties dropped more than once :oops:

I think I'll make a batch using this infected rum just to see!!!

Shine0n