All Bran Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: All Bran Recipe

Postby acfixer69 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:03 pm

still_stirrin wrote:If it ain’t broke....don’t fix it.
ss

that's what goose said somewhere eh

AC
acfixer69
Site Mod

Postby rgreen2002 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:12 pm

The bran also acts as a buffer to help prevent the pH crash frequently seen in sugar washes. It's a great recipe and makes a good neutral!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby still_stirrin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:34 pm

courtofjest wrote:I'm relatively new here, but I was making the all bran recipe and noticed that there are not any enzymes to break down the carbs in the wash. Would it help to add some malted barley to aid in breaking it down into sugars or is all-bran processed enough so that it does not matter?

Correct. This is a sugar wash recipe. The bran provides nutrients as stated, as well as buffering to the acid production as the ferment progresses. This too has been explained previously in this thread and as pointed out by RedwoodHillbilly, ACfixer, and rgreen.

The all bran recipe is an excellent base for a neutral, not particularly suited for a whiskey. But, it DOES make an excellent base for a gin...when you get to that recipe in the T&T.

UJSSM is better for that target (whiskey/bourbon), even though it too is a sugar wash (not a grain mash). Since these sugar washes utilize the sugar as the fermentable material, you don’t need enzymes to convert starches to sugars. Any grains added are for flavoring the sugar wash alone, not for potential alcohol.

Another is Odin’s corn flakes sugar wash recipe too. Corny flavor, but the alcohol comes from the sugar, not the cereal.

I hope you understand this difference (in the recipes). It is fundamental to your knowledge base in the hobby. Trying to make the all bran into something that it isn’t will lead to frustration and cause you to question your processes.
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
What is a Proof & Traille hydrometer: Alcohol-meter
Enzyme info: SebStar
HD Google search info: HD Google-how to
All about mashing grains: Braukaiser
still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Postby rgreen2002 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:25 am

still_stirrin wrote:I hope you understand this difference (in the recipes). It is fundamental to your knowledge base in the hobby. Trying to make the all bran into something that it isn’t will lead to frustration and cause you to question your processes.
ss

+100.... this is a KEY copncept. Repeated failure because of something impossible will drive you out of the hobby. This would be akin to trying to change lead into gold...over and over and over again with the unexpected result of it not working... :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Spriit Tisler » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Fancy, I had all bran going on for 7 full days now and it's still going on. It has always been done&cleared before. I quess it's the temperature. Does it hurt to let it sit for another week, because I've got a job related trip in few days and I'll be back at next wednesday?
Spriit Tisler
Swill Maker

Postby still_stirrin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Spriit Tisler wrote:Fancy, I had all bran going on for 7 full days now and it's still going on. It has always been done&cleared before. I quess it's the temperature. Does it hurt to let it sit for another week, because I've got a job related trip in few days and I'll be back at next wednesday?

Won’t hurt it at all. Just keep it under airlock. Have a safe trip.
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
What is a Proof & Traille hydrometer: Alcohol-meter
Enzyme info: SebStar
HD Google search info: HD Google-how to
All about mashing grains: Braukaiser
still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Postby artooks » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:22 pm

Spriit Tisler wrote:Fancy, I had all bran going on for 7 full days now and it's still going on. It has always been done&cleared before. I quess it's the temperature. Does it hurt to let it sit for another week, because I've got a job related trip in few days and I'll be back at next wednesday?

What is your OG ?
artooks
Swill Maker

Postby courtofjest » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:20 pm

still_stirrin wrote:
courtofjest wrote:I'm relatively new here, but I was making the all bran recipe and noticed that there are not any enzymes to break down the carbs in the wash. Would it help to add some malted barley to aid in breaking it down into sugars or is all-bran processed enough so that it does not matter?

Correct. This is a sugar wash recipe. The bran provides nutrients as stated, as well as buffering to the acid production as the ferment progresses. This too has been explained previously in this thread and as pointed out by RedwoodHillbilly, ACfixer, and rgreen.

The all bran recipe is an excellent base for a neutral, not particularly suited for a whiskey. But, it DOES make an excellent base for a gin...when you get to that recipe in the T&T.

UJSSM is better for that target (whiskey/bourbon), even though it too is a sugar wash (not a grain mash). Since these sugar washes utilize the sugar as the fermentable material, you don’t need enzymes to convert starches to sugars. Any grains added are for flavoring the sugar wash alone, not for potential alcohol.

Another is Odin’s corn flakes sugar wash recipe too. Corny flavor, but the alcohol comes from the sugar, not the cereal.

I hope you understand this difference (in the recipes). It is fundamental to your knowledge base in the hobby. Trying to make the all bran into something that it isn’t will lead to frustration and cause you to question your processes.
ss

I did actually up the bran ratio quite a bit, added pearl barley, a bit of corn meal, and then converted a fair bit of sugar with malted barley. I added sugar to bring the gravity up and fermented to 1.0 before distilling in a pot still. The flavor actually came through very nicely and I'm quite pleased with it.

Looks like I absolutely made it into something it is not (without realizing its true purpose as a sugar wash) and it worked well for me luckily.

I'll give the original recipe a try next, I've heard it turns out great by many people.
courtofjest
Novice

Previous

Return to Tried and True Recipes