sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rollmeown
Bootlegger

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by rollmeown »

Opened up my all grain sweet feed today and had mold growing on it. Didn't notice it till after I had mix couple pounds into my sugar for next generation and add it to 140° backset. Will this mold hurt anything? I immediately
Threw both bags I got into the freezer.
Hurley
Novice

Post by Hurley »

Hi everyone I have been trying to find out if grain and pellet sf will work with this recipe I got the feed for free and tried it out today I have 1.025 starting gravity and am thinking its about half what it should be any thoughts? Also sorry for another post about this subject
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Pellet's are bad, Sweet feed with them in it ferments great, the taste sucks.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

rollmeown wrote:Opened up my all grain sweet feed today and had mold growing on it. Didn't notice it till after I had mix couple pounds into my sugar for next generation and add it to 140° backset. Will this mold hurt anything? I immediately
Threw both bags I got into the freezer.
Never tried to ferment mold before, but I cannot imagine that it will help the flavor in any way. Remember the saying "crap in, crap out". Bugs and such add a little nutrient to a ferment. Not so sure about mold.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
The flint stones
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The flint stones »

I'm giving this one a try after just under a year of running UJSSM. After a few fresh start ups and errors, I ran off the same yeast bed up until now and lost count of how many generations, got very consistent results and rave reviews from family and friends. I saved the backset from these runs to start my sweet feed. I have three five gallon buckets going. I could never find an all grain sweet feed so I bought one bag each of cracked corn, rolled oats and barley. Used two thirds cracked corn, one third each of the oats and barley to get to the 4 inch mark. I stirred in one cup of molasses to coat the grain. Poured in two gallons of the boiling backset with 7 pounds sugar dissolved in. The recipe stated 8 TBS yeast which i used in the first bucket, then I thought that was a lot so I used 3 TBS in the other two. They all took of in less than an hour. My concern was the original recipe calling for 8 TBS of yeast. Its been bubbling away for two days, can't wait to run and see how it turns out.
The flint stones
Site Donor
Site Donor

I stripped my (3) five gallon mashes in two runs, I cut and tossed 100 ml out of each of as forshots. I let it run into gallon jars until was well into my tails. This passed weekend I ran my spirit run nice and slow, tossed another 200 ml as forshots. I ended up with 4.2 liters. ABV of 84 down to 25 before I shut it down. Let the jars air out for two days before cuts. Ended up with 1.8 liters after cuts, I charred 6 pieces of JD barrel chunks and put in quart jars to age. This is definitely a different taste that UJSSM which had a very strong corn flavor. Not sure how to describe it but I'm very happy with the results. Gonna run this for a while and see how it goes, then maybe an AG.
thanks for all information on this great site.
Captb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Captb »

Kentucky shinner wrote:If you like a really smooth whisky you need to try this recipe I have run it several times. It is easy and so far I have never had a ferment stall. If you try it let me know what you think. I have some that has aged on oak for about 2 months and it is really smoothing out. I oak at 55% ABV.

this is for 6 gallon wash

4" of sweet feed in the bottom of the bucket
7 pounds of white sugar
5 packets of bakers yeast or 8 tablespoons

heat 2 gallon of water to good hard boil then pour the water in the sweet feed add your sugar and stir for about 15min. the let stand for 90min. fill to 6 gallons with cool water after waiting 90min., your temp should be around 90F sprinkle your yeast in and stir gently. cover with lid and add your airlock. Mine is normally bubling away in about 4-6 hours. will run pretty good for about 2 days then will slow to a very slow rate. leave it for 5 days or untill you see it trying to clear sometimes it is 6 days. after that set it a cool place for about 24hours then rack it off and distill it. I normally get about 4 qaurts of low wines. sometimes my quart in the middle taste good enough I keep it aside and drink it just as it is.

after I run this through a pot still I use about half of my backset while it is still hot I put 7 pounds of sugar in the hot backset and convert my sugar. Let that cool to about 90F pour this back into your fermentor on your grain and yeast that was left in your bucket. add enough water to make 6 gallons normally my yeast wake up and are bubling away in about 4-5hours.

It seems very easy to me. I have really had good success with it. you can normally get your sweet feed at any farm supply store 50lbs for 7 bucks. It will last a long time

Mod edit to help with different size vessels:
Thanks Prairiepiss for the extra time on the calculations
So NIN posted that 4" in a 5 gal bucket is 7.69 lbs. It doesn't need to be exact. So let's break it down here.
You could go 1.5 to 1.75 lbs of sweetfeed and 1.5 to 1.75 lbs of sugar to a gallon of water. With no problems.
Or for the metric guys. .180 to .210 kg of sweetfeed and .180 to .210 kg sugar to 1 lt of water.
Or easier terms. Equal parts sweetfeed and sugar to end up with the SG you want.
Sourcing materials: Please define sweet feed I have a couple of AGWAY stores here that sells cracked corn but when I mention Sweetfeed they dont know what that is
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Try asking for all grain for horses without pellets or wet cob as some call it. cob is corn oats barley with a little molasses mixed in ... you can even buy individual grains and add your own molasses do it yourself style

Tractor Supply as an All Grain in the purple bag that works well...
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/p ... feed-50-lb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

FS

:roll: BTW read this whole thread all these questions were answered in this thread at some point... :ebiggrin:
bship
Novice

Post by bship »

FS,
My plan was to do 3, 18 gallon ferments of this, strip, and do a spirit run. While starting the second ferment i noticed small pellets in there I didnt notice before. Not a lot but they are there. I wonder if I should start over and pick out the pellets..
The flint stones
Site Donor
Site Donor

With all the posts about not finding sweet feed without pellets, maybe start posting our own sweet feed recipes, so we can get off the subject of availability. Just make your own for goodness sake! Corn, oats, barley, molasses! ;^)
bship
Novice

Post by bship »

I get that its available, or i can make my own. I was just wondering if i should start over since some are saying the pellets produce a off flavor. oh well looks like the deer and squirrels will be eating good behind the house
The flint stones
Site Donor
Site Donor

My post wasn't directed at you Bship, just that a large amount of this thread is about not finding sweet feed without pellets. From what I've read I would say start over without pelleted feed :)
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

The flint stones wrote:With all the posts about not finding sweet feed without pellets, maybe start posting our own sweet feed recipes, so we can get off the subject of availability. Just make your own for goodness sake! Corn, oats, barley, molasses! ;^)
Plenty of posts here already where members make their own sweetfeed.
I use producers pride chicken scratch grains and add evolved habitats molassas to that. Local Tractor Supply stopped carying allgrain SF about a year ago.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
borntofli
Novice

Post by borntofli »

I just started readin this thread today and am on page 22 but have not found any info on people running with thumper...

What I want to know is on the first run, do you charge your thumper with some of the wash...
And then on subsequent runs charge it with backset, feints...???? I'm gonna be runnin this hopefully next weekend....

Thanks as always...

Back to reading, maybe another 20 pages tonight.....
bship
Novice

Post by bship »

Thanks flint, I will be using your recipe for the recipe :) lesson learned
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Our TS still has producer pride all grain.. no issue there

but equal parts of the grains and molasses works every time... and it makes a good tipple

Molasses to make it sticky is all you need ...

Happy Stillin

FS
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Alright guys, I can get my hands on rolled oats, cracked corn, and molasses. Can't seem to find barley anywhere.

Would the flavor suffer dramatically if I just left it out? I've been searching for that "perfect" sweet feed bag for over a year. Still no luck. Wondering if its worth my time to give a go without barley or should I just be patient?
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Order in barley grain seed if you can't find it in the feed store make sure you get untreated seed...

its a little more expensive but you get it...

Happy STillin

FS
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

StillLearning1 wrote:Alright guys, I can get my hands on rolled oats, cracked corn, and molasses. Can't seem to find barley anywhere.

Would the flavor suffer dramatically if I just left it out? I've been searching for that "perfect" sweet feed bag for over a year. Still no luck. Wondering if its worth my time to give a go without barley or should I just be patient?
Well, it wouldn't be the same - probably not bad, just different. You could also substitute some other grain - al little rye, wheat, rice, or even a combination of other grains. It won't be COB though. It would be COR or COW :crazy: .
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

@S-Cackalacky HELLO you said "Well, it wouldn't be the same" ?

Barley Grain... Barley seed... Hell aren't they the same thing... last i looked it was...

OK guys help me out here or did i miss some basic agricultural bits and pieces along the way somewhere ???

Just sayin...

FS
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

FullySilenced wrote:@S-Cackalacky HELLO you said "Well, it wouldn't be the same" ?

Barley Grain... Barley seed... Hell aren't they the same thing... last i looked it was...

OK guys help me out here or did i miss some basic agricultural bits and pieces along the way somewhere ???

Just sayin...

FS

I think he was referring to me that it would not be the same without barley at all.

On a side note......some wet COW shine sounds fun. Gonna have to get that label maker for that one!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

ummm OOOPS sorry ... :mrgreen:
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

FullySilenced wrote:ummm OOOPS sorry ... :mrgreen:
Glad I read all the posts after yours. I was about to Fully light into your ass. :P
live_free
Novice

Post by live_free »

quick questtion. havnt read through the "whole" tread its a bit daunting, and search didnt come up with much. i made a heated box for my fermenters this winter. did a batch of post number 1 sweetfeed and in the box it was VERY warm, git rum fermenting in there too. rum did great but the sweetfeed ended in about 4 days, good gravities and color and taste but it was super oily. like a oil slick on top of it when transferring it to the still. i used blue seal sweetfeed and bread yeast ( like i always do) do you guys think the extra warm environment was the culprit?
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

http://blueseal.com/files/feeding-and-m ... eSweet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Read the brochure see what you think.. and then the ingredient list... does it look like just Corn, Oats, Barley and molasses?

says:

High Fat - Vegetable Oil increases energy density and
efficiency for sustained performance and endurance. The
addition of fat helps reduce the risk of starch overload while
maintaining desired energy level for optimum weight and
body condition of active horses.

Happy Stillin

FS
live_free
Novice

Post by live_free »

i use this its what i can get
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVvqf ... wkoAZPXUw-

and results have always been the same. except this time
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Pacer™ is a high-fat, fully fortified blend of oats, flaked
corn, and flaked barley wrapped in molasses and
vegetable oil
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

With the oil floating on top, you could probably lay some paper towels on the surface to wick it off. A little oil won't hurt - works as a defoamer.
live_free
Novice

Post by live_free »

I'm not going to continue the sour mash on this just because I want to start fresh. I'm going to assume the high heat was why it was different this time. Unless they changed their ingredient list from the last 4 years. Ill do another batch at lower temps and see if it goes back to normal. If not then I guess blue seal changed it and it could be a PSA of sort lol. Didn't know if anyone else ran into this.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Did you read the two posts just before your most recent one? :eh:

tp