sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Wkyshiner » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:42 pm

Used this for a long time, i always got good shine from it. Last run of this i made was 160 proof. Which i add just a few things to it, far as malt. :crazy:
Wkyshiner
Novice
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:47 am

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Hanson423 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:11 pm

I've read through a lot of this thread. I'm in Oklahoma and I'm not having any luck finding sweet feed or cob without the pellet so I've decided I'll try to make it on my own. I thought I saw someone make a post about this but I can't find it. Does anyone know what the recipe for this would be? Like how much corn,oats,barley and molasses would I use to make this mix? I'll be making a 15-30 gallon ferment. Thanks for any help.
Hanson423
Novice
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:00 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Twisted Brick » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Try here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40655

That's the beauty: you can make up any custom ratios you want. I'd start with 40-50% corn and vary the other ingredients over several batches to get their relative contributions. Just take it easy on the molasses. Buddy of mine just fills up his fermenter to the top and doesn't measure anything. He added a buttload of molasses and all you could taste in his final product was..... molasses.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields
User avatar
Twisted Brick
Novice
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:54 pm
Location: Craigh Na Dun

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby demon00 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:53 am

Im planning on doing this recipe with a few mods but only using yeast nutrients and D.A.D.Y. yeast, but the only sweet feed I see is a cob feed with pellets , will this still work ?
demon00
Novice
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 2:20 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Antler24 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:10 pm

demon00 wrote:Im planning on doing this recipe with a few mods but only using yeast nutrients and D.A.D.Y. yeast, but the only sweet feed I see is a cob feed with pellets , will this still work ?


No. Did you even search?

This has been asked and answered 100 times.
Antler24
Rumrunner
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby demon00 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:50 pm

Sorry didnt realize it was an issue, ill delete it
demon00
Novice
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 2:20 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Hanson423 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:52 pm

demon00 wrote:Im planning on doing this recipe with a few mods but only using yeast nutrients and D.A.D.Y. yeast, but the only sweet feed I see is a cob feed with pellets , will this still work ?



Yes according to KS it works just fine. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15682&start=15
Hanson423
Novice
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:00 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Hanson423 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:00 pm

I went to a feed store in my town and told them I need sweet feed with no pellets in it. They told me multiple times that it doesn't have any pellets in it.... I get home open the bag. I see in there what looks like little brown pellets... so does anyone know if these are "pellets"? They are small and brown. The brand is bonanza. It's 12% it's says " all natural" on the bag.
Hanson423
Novice
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:00 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby still_stirrin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Hanson423 wrote:I went to a feed store in my town and told them I need sweet feed with no pellets in it. They told me multiple times that it doesn't have any pellets in it.... I get home open the bag. I see in there what looks like little brown pellets... so does anyone know if these are "pellets"? They are small and brown. The brand is bonanza. It's 12% it's says " all natural" on the bag.

Is it this stuff? http://midamericafeeds.com/feed/feedDetail.asp?ID=15

It does look like it will be pelletized.

But this stuff...http://midamericafeeds.com/feed/feedDetail.asp?ID=14 looks like all grains.

But the “little brown pellets” could be molasses balls. Chew on one...does it taste like molly?
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
What is a Proof & Traille hydrometer: Alcohol-meter
Enzyme info: SebStar
HD Google search info: HD Google-how to
All about mashing grains: Braukaiser
User avatar
still_stirrin
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 5249
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:01 am

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Hanson423 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:08 am

still_stirrin wrote:
Hanson423 wrote:I went to a feed store in my town and told them I need sweet feed with no pellets in it. They told me multiple times that it doesn't have any pellets in it.... I get home open the bag. I see in there what looks like little brown pellets... so does anyone know if these are "pellets"? They are small and brown. The brand is bonanza. It's 12% it's says " all natural" on the bag.

Is it this stuff? http://midamericafeeds.com/feed/feedDetail.asp?ID=15

It does look like it will be pelletized.

But this stuff...http://midamericafeeds.com/feed/feedDetail.asp?ID=14 looks like all grains.

But the “little brown pellets” could be molasses balls. Chew on one...does it taste like molly?
ss


What exactly should molly taste like? I can't say I ever tried that before? Im gonna call them today and hopefully they'll let me return it. I haven't used any yet. I've just opened the bag.
Hanson423
Novice
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:00 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby trueheart » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:39 pm

A FRIEND, INDEED. A friend of mine just got back from a trip to Gatlinburg, TN. While there he went on one of the new "moonshine tours". Don't know if I can mention the four distilleries he visited, but he swears that the UJSSM and sweet feed that I make is much better than anything he tasted there. Everyone loves a little praise, but here's the kicker; on his way home he picked up 400 pounds of Producer's Pride All Grain sweet feed, which they quit selling in our state. 8 bags, 400 pounds! Said the guy at the TS he bought it from was grinning. Now that's what friends are for.
You can judge a great whiskey with one sip, but it's best to be thorough.
trueheart
Novice
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Hanson423 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:42 pm

I returned it and was able to get the right stuff!
Hanson423
Novice
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:00 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Tapeman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:22 pm

Hanson423 wrote:
still_stirrin wrote:
Hanson423 wrote:I went to a feed store in my town and told them I need sweet feed with no pellets in it. They told me multiple times that it doesn't have any pellets in it.... I get home open the bag. I see in there what looks like little brown pellets... so does anyone know if these are "pellets"? They are small and brown. The brand is bonanza. It's 12% it's says " all natural" on the bag.

Is it this stuff? http://midamericafeeds.com/feed/feedDetail.asp?ID=15

It does look like it will be pelletized.

But this stuff...http://midamericafeeds.com/feed/feedDetail.asp?ID=14 looks like all grains.

But the “little brown pellets” could be molasses balls. Chew on one...does it taste like molly?
ss


What exactly should molly taste like? I can't say I ever tried that before? Im gonna call them today and hopefully they'll let me return it. I haven't used any yet. I've just opened the bag.
fermented and distilled, molasses taste is unmistakable. Made some rum and stripped it fast and even after spirit run its still very strong. Give it some oak and it mellows nicely, but it's definitely not a Bacardi style rum, even white.
Tapeman
Novice
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Hanson423 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:07 pm

I was trying to figure out how much yeast I should use for my wash. I plan On doing a 20-30 gallon wash ( I've never done a wash this size before). I was doing some searching and according to this https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&start=12 I should be using 4 grams of yeast per 1 gallon of water. So that would be 80-120 grams of yeast. This seems like a bit much to me? Would 1 package of yeast per 5 gallons work? What are your thoughts on this? Thanks for any help.
Hanson423
Novice
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:00 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Tapeman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:11 pm

Hanson423 wrote:I was trying to figure out how much yeast I should use for my wash. I plan On doing a 20-30 gallon wash ( I've never done a wash this size before). I was doing some searching and according to this https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&start=12 I should be using 4 grams of yeast per 1 gallon of water. So that would be 80-120 grams of yeast. This seems like a bit much to me? Would 1 package of yeast per 5 gallons work? What are your thoughts on this? Thanks for any help.
One package per 5 gallons is typical for brewer's or wine making, maybe a little more if using bread yeast. If you start your next batches using spent grain and get right to it you won't need to add more yeast since it will be happy to start right back up again. It's amazing how flavor profiles can be changed just from using different strains of yeast!
Tapeman
Novice
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Previous

Return to Tried and True Recipes



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Electrotech and 3 guests